CVT fluid change and mixing oils oem vs other brands question?

Called another dealer and drain and refill is only $226 but if I had a turbo then it would be $300+. The appointment lady had no idea what she was talking about. She did not even ask for my car-specific model and engine. I'm trying to get a service adviser to talk to.
That other dealer does full flush at $531 but the service adviser recommended it when I would have 100K miles.
I would go with the 226 - that’s a very good price!

Certified? It says recommended, just like any other aftermarket product for most Asian vehicles.
I for some reason used the word certified because the OP did in regard to valvoline.

Subaru explicitly only names their own CVTF2 as approved/recommended. This is made by Idemitsu and is the same formulation as the CVTF-SB2 sold by Idemitsu.

I for some reason used the word certified because the OP did in regard to valvoline.

Subaru explicitly only names their own CVTF2 as approved/recommended. This is made by Idemitsu and is the same formulation as the CVTF-SB2 sold by Idemitsu.
I’m not sure how you would know it is exactly the same formulation. But nevertheless this is typical for Asian manufacturers as they rarely license their specifications.

..... Valvoline fluid is certified for subaru. It is clearly stated on the label.
I don't see that anywhere. To me it reads just like any other "suitable for use" aftermarket fluid.

I'm pretty sure Subaru isn't saying Valvoline fluid can be used in place of OEM fluid either.

I’m not sure how you would know it is exactly the same formulation. But nevertheless this is typical for Asian manufacturers as they rarely license their specifications.
From what I understand, another forum user has spoken with Idemitsu and Subaru to verify the CVTF-SB2 is indeed the same formulation that Subaru "invented" for their CVTF-II needs in their transmissions. After several years go by and rights to the product expire, Idemitsu sells it rebranded as their own part number. Until then, they make it but can only sell it through Subaru exclusively since it was their formulation.

From what I understand, another forum user has spoken with Idemitsu and Subaru to verify the CVTF-SB2 is indeed the same formulation that Subaru "invented" for their CVTF-II needs in their transmissions. After several years go by and rights to the product expire, Idemitsu sells it rebranded as their own part number. Until then, they make it but can only sell it through Subaru exclusively since it was their formulation.
Yeah if you (or the other mysterious forum member) say so. But in the end it’s just another recommended fluid. Doesn’t make it bad though and I’d use it if that were my car.

I would go with the 226 - that’s a very good price!
Oh, I'm. I also got a quote for front and rear diffs. $130 and $89. Pretty much the same price as the shop. Actually, the shop is about $15 more if I would include shop supplies.
I'm surprised. The dealer is a little bit out of my way so I'm still trying to get to this dealer. Like I said, the girl who makes the appointment is not a service adviser and she has no idea what she was talking about.

Yeah if you (or the other mysterious forum member) say so. But in the end it’s just another recommended fluid. Doesn’t make it bad though and I’d use it if that were my car.
It is known that Idemitsu is the manufacturer of Subaru-branded oils.

Called another dealer and drain and refill is only $226 but if I had a turbo then it would be $300+. The appointment lady had no idea what she was talking about. She did not even ask for my car-specific model and engine. I'm trying to get a service adviser to talk to.
That other dealer does full flush at $531 but the service adviser recommended it when I would have 100K miles.
never flush a cvt, pull pan and gaskets,filters but never flush

never flush a cvt, pull pan and gaskets,filters but never flush
The dealer has a full flush service. I don't know what it entails but they do it. It was not recommended by the subaru service adviser on my mileage, but he said it would be advisable at over 100K miles.

The dealer has a full flush service. I don't know what it entails but they do it. It was not recommended by the subaru service adviser on my mileage, but he said it would be advisable at over 100K miles.
Dealers will always talk you into a bunch of uneeded service...Like a four wheel glove box alignment...

I believe you that the dealer suggested it at 100k, but to know knowledge Subaru themselves do not suggest it in any country to service manual, and the general consensus for many automatic transmissions and finely with CVTs is that a flush is a very poor idea. There are a lot of chances a flush a could loosen debris and shavings etc and get them stuck in the valve body, sensors/actuators/passageways etc all throughout the transmission. The best advice is to just drain and refill every 30k and at 100/120k to drop the CVT fluid pan and filter and replace it with a new filter, O-ring, pan, gasket, bolts, and then refill. A repeat of the drain and fill process as I’ve explained before is also a good thing, to increase the amount of fresh fluid in the system without flushing and potentially loosening any debris.

It is known that Idemitsu is the manufacturer of Subaru-branded oils.
Okay but that doesn't mean it's the same as what is sold in the aftermarket. Same with Honda ATF. The manufacturer of that fluid also sells on the aftermarket, but the Honda branded ATF is not the same as those.

Okay but that doesn't mean it's the same as what is sold in the aftermarket. Same with Honda ATF. The manufacturer of that fluid also sells on the aftermarket, but the Honda branded ATF is not the same as those.
I linked the thread where a well known forum member on another (Subaru dedicated) forum had spoken to representatives and verified this. I didn’t make the claim. It’s as good as we have available at this time for any kind of certainty that the formulation in the Idemitsu CVTF-SB2 is the same as comes in a Subaru bottled CVTF-II bottle.

I believe you that the dealer suggested it at 100k, but to know knowledge Subaru themselves do not suggest it in any country to service manual, and the general consensus for many automatic transmissions and finely with CVTs is that a flush is a very poor idea. There are a lot of chances a flush a could loosen debris and shavings etc and get them stuck in the valve body, sensors/actuators/passageways etc all throughout the transmission. The best advice is to just drain and refill every 30k and at 100/120k to drop the CVT fluid pan and filter and replace it with a new filter, O-ring, pan, gasket, bolts, and then refill. A repeat of the drain and fill process as I’ve explained before is also a good thing, to increase the amount of fresh fluid in the system without flushing and potentially loosening any debris.
I thought the filter was basically literally non-serviceable as it's sandwiched between the case halves? I say "basically" because it seems you could replace it if you disassembled hard parts, which would typically only be done during a full tear down or rebuild.

As much as I hate vids where they just talk, that's what he says here

Also I have difficulty reconciling common sense with SOA's statements of "lifetime" against 40,000 kilometers if "severe duty." To me that's literally two ends of the spectrum: infinite vs a VERY short interval by American standards. Some people do ~25k miles in a year if traveling across the US regularly. It just doesn't make sense to buy the "lifetime" argument

I thought the filter was basically literally non-serviceable as it's sandwiched between the case halves? I say "basically" because it seems you could replace it if you disassembled hard parts, which would typically only be done during a full tear down or rebuild.

As much as I hate vids where they just talk, that's what he says here

Also I have difficulty reconciling common sense with SOA's statements of "lifetime" against 40,000 kilometers if "severe duty." To me that's literally two ends of the spectrum: infinite vs a VERY short interval by American standards. Some people do ~25k miles in a year if traveling across the US regularly. It just doesn't make sense to buy the "lifetime" argument

There are two filters from what I understand within the TR580 and TR690. One is indeed stuffed within and not serviceable, the other is right there when you drop the pan, it kinda looks like an oil pickup and it connects to the pickup tube.

Start at 7:40 to see the serviceable part once the pan is removed.

Reactions: D60
Finally got a hold of the original dealer and they are not matching the price so I made an appointment with the dealer with the $226 price. Interesting, they only quote me 4 qt of ATF fluid.

1714509990456.jpg

1714510047811.jpg

1714510097100.jpg

Not sure what GOG means.

There are two filters from what I understand within the TR580 and TR690. One is indeed stuffed within and not serviceable, the other is right there when you drop the pan, it kinda looks like an oil pickup and it connects to the pickup tube.

Start at 7:40 to see the serviceable part once the pan is removed.

Wondering what GOG fee is. Interesting, that the dealer is replacing plugs on the transmission and front diff but not on the rear diff. Does anybody know why?

Back