Y91/BPH -- What Power steering Pump for 2005 GM Truck W/Hydroboost

The power steering pump in the Suburban keeps groaning and is foaming its fluid. I'm inclined to think its on its way out. I recently changed a leaking PS pressure to Hydroboost line. FWIW this pump has been ran low a few times.

I'm a bit confused on what to buy. I only need the pump as I'll transfer the can and pulley. The truck is a Z71 truck and does have BPH RPO code, but does NOT have the Y91 Luxury Edition package RPO. I probably will buy the pump through NAPA.

Looking up on RockAuto, it seems like there's conflicting info. Excluding the Y91, or with Y91 or BPH...

1711763666806.jpg

Then AAP lists, one pump for either Y91 or BPH, or one Without Y91 or BPH.
1711763780810.jpg
1711763803705.jpg

Then NAPA lists one as with Y91 or without Y91. Technically I do NOT have Y91, but other resources are alluding to Y91/BPH calling for the same pump.

IMG_3427.jpg

Anyone have any insight as to what pump I need?

Any differences will be in the Reservoir, Flow Control Fitting, Pressure Regulator Spring & Pressure Regulator Valve.....The pumps themselves are all the same (Metric Saginaw)

The only wear part I listed is the Pressure Regulator Valve, It has shims under a nut, If your valve is worn.....You can transfer the shims to a good valve.

Any differences will be in the Reservoir, Flow Control Fitting, Pressure Regulator Spring & Pressure Regulator Valve.....The pumps themselves are all the same (Metric Saginaw)

The only wear part I listed is the Pressure Regulator Valve, It has shims under a nut, If your valve is worn.....You can transfer the shims to a good valve.
Thank you.

order a pump from a 01-06 2500hd gasser.

if you want a serious increase in brake and steering feel, you can order an alternator/p.s. bracket, power steering pump, pump -> hydroboost line and pulley from a 2011 or newer silverado 2500hd.
i did it on mine along with a 2011 duramax hydroboost and my 2002 2500hd on 10” of lift, 14wides and 35x15.50” tires stops and turns better than a stock 11-19 HD truck.

order a pump from a 01-06 2500hd gasser.

if you want a serious increase in brake and steering feel, you can order an alternator/p.s. bracket, power steering pump, pump -> hydroboost line and pulley from a 2011 or newer silverado 2500hd.
i did it on mine along with a 2011 duramax hydroboost and my 2002 2500hd on 10” of lift, 14wides and 35x15.50” tires stops and turns better than a stock 11-19 HD truck.

Thats a cool upgrade, I will keep note of that. Presently the Suburban is the wife's DD, but the above upgrade you mentioned would be a good fit for when I eventually take over the Suburban for myself and do different things for it to be a moderate tow unit.

Looking the parts up, 3/4 ton gasser PS pump is the same as the Y91/BPH pump. After enough research I think that is the router I am going.

@clinebarger on the pressure valve there is a letter plus number stamp. My original pump says Q4 and the new pump has one that says something else. Does this indicate differences where I should reuse my existing pressure valve, spring and poppet?

@clinebarger on the pressure valve there is a letter plus number stamp. My original pump says Q4 and the new pump has one that says something else. Does this indicate differences where I should reuse my existing pressure valve, spring and poppet?

I'm not sure about the codes, Does it look like the same thickness shims are used?

I'm not sure about the codes, Does it look like the same thickness shims are used?
Yeah everything between the two of them looked the same. I took a small caliper and measured the ID on both ends of the pressure fitting -- they were the same (or at least within .00X of what I could measure. The shims on the valve... also the same.

Actually have the pump back in the truck installed, air blessed out and running well on ATF. So I think I am all good.

Pretty easy job, never did a PS pump before on a GM. Bought the pulley puller kit... I finally understand how one of those work. Even went ahead and torqued the nuts for the reservoir can and torqued the pressure valve fitting. Figured it would be best.

Yeah everything between the two of them looked the same. I took a small caliper and measured the ID on both ends of the pressure fitting -- they were the same (or at least within .00X of what I could measure. The shims on the valve... also the same.

Actually have the pump back in the truck installed, air blessed out and running well on ATF. So I think I am all good.

Pretty easy job, never did a PS pump before on a GM. Bought the pulley puller kit... I finally understand how one of those work. Even went ahead and torqued the nuts for the reservoir can and torqued the pressure valve fitting. Figured it would be best.
if you find the assist lacking when hot, buy the AC DELCO power steering fluid. makes a massive difference

Last edited:
Thanks. What is the GM fluid something like a rebranded CH11?

I have had really good luck and performance with TES-295 in these pumps so far.

Thanks. What is the GM fluid something like a rebranded CH11?

I have had really good luck and performance with TES-295 in these pumps so far.
i don’t know but it’s a clear fluid. night and day difference when i was still running the early saginaw pump.

Back