Champ XL vs. "new" Fram Ultra?

That is very strange and I don't have an answer. There is a 1 year old YouTube showing the ADBV is silicone, the Champ XL advertising and RockAuto descriptions also state silicone too. Can a silicone ADBV be black in addition to the orange color we typically see? I believe the Supertech's silicone ADBVs are blue.

There was a thread a while back about some Tough Guards or something ( I don't remember specifically but it was Fram) where the ADBVs were nitrile (or at least black), assuming because of production shortages. It's possible the XL could have been the same thing since they are both owned by FB. It didn't seem to last long, maybe a month or two.

Hi Tyman,
I can but here's what I struggle with and perhaps you can share your thoughts. Included in the price from Rockauto is $4.99 for shipping. I do this so that I'm accurate in what people will actually pay if they buy the filter alone as if they went into a retail store. If a person bundles some other items I've found the shipping charge stays constant.
I see. I feel like most people buying online though buy in bulk or multiples whereas people in store might just buy. Anyway to put an addendum or something where “if you bought 5, this would be bulk price?”

Hi Tyman,
I can but here's what I struggle with and perhaps you can share your thoughts. Included in the price from Rockauto is $4.99 for shipping. I do this so that I'm accurate in what people will actually pay if they buy the filter alone as if they went into a retail store. If a person bundles some other items I've found the shipping charge stays constant.
I don't think there's really any place that sells Champ XLs retail, unless you count the Motomaster OE Plus filters they sell at Canadian Tire or I think the STP Extended Life filters at Autozone are now rebadged Champ XLs.

The 98.7% is very close to a past BITOG posting where a member called Champ and was told the XL is at 99% at 20 microns. There is also a YouTube that shows the 99% stated on the packaging but no micron value. Here are the links:
98.7% is known/defined as the "absolute" efficiency and is sometimes just rounded up to 99%.

I don't think there's really any place that sells Champ XLs retail, unless you count the Motomaster OE Plus filters they sell at Canadian Tire or I think the STP Extended Life filters at Autozone are now rebadged Champ XLs.
amazon has certain ones, but they are $$$

Nobody could ever be sure about all louvers being open and a black adbv being silicone (which in most cases I would wager they are absolutely not) when going to buy a filter.. so orange advb and wide open holes should be a prerequisite IMO when buying a mid-range to upper priced filter. .. Why even wonder about it??

I see. I feel like most people buying online though buy in bulk or multiples whereas people in store might just buy. Anyway to put an addendum or something where “if you bought 5, this would be bulk price?”
Tyman,
You inspired an idea. I added columns for price and shipping so people can see what makes up the total price. Thank you for the feedback.

1679953018776.jpg

Received a response from Champs engineering confirming this info.

Did Champ confirm the black ADBV is silicone?

I emailed them last night as I'm also interested in ordering the Champ XL version of the 7317

I wrote how @JTK posted that he got black ADBV's when buying the PH2867XL and I wanted to know if it's silicone or nitrile.

Apparently it's silicone.

IMG_0F710918DA49-1.jpeg

Did Champ confirm the black ADBV is silicone?

I emailed them last night as I'm also interested in ordering the Champ XL version of the 7317

I wrote how @JTK posted that he got black ADBV's when buying the PH2867XL and I wanted to know if it's silicone or nitrile.

Apparently it's silicone.

View attachment 149762
No, the email I received confirmed that the black ones were nitrile.

The oil filter world has become a wild west.

Bought 4 Fram Titanium's today (FS7317). 3 have holes and one has louvres.
View attachment 149822 View attachment 149823
Any idea what the media looks like in the fs7317 with louvers, does it look like it may be similar to the Royal Purple or Fram Synthetic Endurance filters? I know some people have seen ph7317s with ecore and Fram seems to be trying to cut out the 4386 size so maybe they're making all the 7317 filters at Champion Labs factories now?

Back