Fram Ultra XG9688 Before HPL Cleaner and Post HPL OCI 5200Miles

Making up "Extra Wear" assumptions again every time I mention a Boss oil filter. :p
Not "making up" anything. Go do some self research on engine wear vs oil cleanliness studies. I'm still waiting for one study that says cleaner oil doesn't result in less engine wear. 😄

Do some self research on engine wear vs oil cleanliness studies. I'm still waiting for one study that says cleaner oil doesn't result in less engine wear. 😄
If you're so afraid of this extra wear then change your oil every mile then b/c "It's dirty & causing extra wear, that wear will not let my engine last a long time". (Hysteria) I'm not that scared of using oil to the point of getting my money's worth.

Still waiting on the study of using a Boss filter equals extra wear claim you make in real life. Simply using a Boss filter doesn't equate to engine producing extra engine wear. Your example is if "everything is constant" which it is not. Too many variables in real life. The Boss tested better than advertised to boot. It's a good filter. I know you'd have some believe otherwise but not today & probably not tomorrow either. Until I mention Boss the next time you quote me...🍻

Last edited:
cleaner oil is better oil period. if you’re not going to run an OE filter, why not atleast go grab an ultra at walmart or better yet an endurance instead of the BOSS.i was a BOSS user until i got to reading about them on here. prior to the BOSS, i was a loyal m1-206A user.

cleaner oil is better oil period. if you’re not going to run an OE filter, why not atleast go grab an ultra at walmart or better yet an endurance instead of the BOSS.i was a BOSS user until i got to reading about them on here. prior to the BOSS, i was a loyal m1-206A user.

We all want clean oil so please show me the filter you use that has been tested to the ISO standard to get your oil cleaner than every other filter on the market.

OG ultra media was proven to be 99% @20um by andrew at ascent. i may not use a 10575 but i use a 3675 which is close in size. main difference is 13/16 -16 and 22mm aswell as bypass in filter (10575). i have a pretty good stock of OG media fram titanium 3675’s that should last the remaining lifetime of my truck. am building up a stock of old 7317’s but its difficult to find old ones due to how many people buy them.

OG ultra media was proven to be 99% @20um by andrew at ascent. i may not use a 10575 but i use a 3675 which is close in size. main difference is 13/16 -16 and 22mm aswell as bypass in filter (10575). i have a pretty good stock of OG media fram titanium 3675’s that should last the remaining lifetime of my truck. am building up a stock of old 7317’s but its difficult to find old ones due to how many people buy them.
I understand your position & it's nothing out of the ordinary but you know that a sample of one is not sufficient across the board. That's my main argument with all of this. We can at least see the efficiencies, low or high, on each of the Purolator's but not with the other filters. We must just take a small sample as evidence their ALL like that. It's been stated many times on here that even size can play a role on having different efficiencies. I just require more data to make an informed decision. If you're happy with seeing that specific Ascent filter result & assume it's the same on your's then have at it. That's where I draw the line to a certain extent. Everyone wants to claim this or that filter is more efficient but no solid data to back it up. On top of that we all have our limits or lack thereof how much we're "Sold" to on wild claims so one must be cautious. That's what I am Cautious. Some may assume I'm anti Fram or anti-efficient but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:
I understand your position & it's nothing out of the ordinary but you know that a sample of one is not sufficient across the board. That's my main argument with all of this. We can at least see the efficiencies, low or high, on each of the Purolator's but not with the other filters. We must just take a small sample as evidence their ALL like that. It's been stated many times on here that even size can play a role on having different efficiencies. I just require more data to make an informed decision. If you're happy with seeing that specific Ascent filter result & assume it's the same on your's then have at it. That's where I draw the line to a certain extent. Everyone wants to claim this or that filter is more efficient but no solid data to back it up. On top of that we all have our limits or lack thereof how much we're "Sold" to on wild claims so one must be cautious. That's what I am Cautious. Some may assume I'm anti Fram or anti-efficient but that couldn't be further from the truth.
yes, i understand simple statistics. you made an informed decision to choose the boss so run what you want. i know what i’m running and everyone is entitled to an opinion. the 10575 vs the 3675 is quite literally just thread and having a bypass vs not.

If you're so afraid of this extra wear then change your oil every mile then b/c "It's dirty & causing extra wear, that wear will not let my engine last a long time". (Hysteria) I'm not that scared of using oil to the point of getting my money's worth.
Nah ... I'll just use a high efficiency oil filter (95% @ 20u or 99% @ 25u or better) and do normal (not extended) OCIs.

Still waiting on the study of using a Boss filter equals extra wear claim you make in real life. Simply using a Boss filter doesn't equate to engine producing extra engine wear. Your example is if "everything is constant" which it is not. Too many variables in real life. The Boss tested better than advertised to boot. It's a good filter. I know you'd have some believe otherwise but not today & probably not tomorrow either. Until I mention Boss the next time you quote me...🍻
You're missing the main point and seem to be making up excuses about the main point of engine wear vs oil cleanliness. OCI length is also a factor as mentioned before in these discussions. Of course everything isn't constant, but in order to see the point you have to look at it with all things as constant as possible except for the level of oil cleanliness (like the wear studies do), and the OCI length, which as mentioned has a bearing on wear based on oil cleanliness level based on how long the oil is circulated over and over through the oiling system. Running a dirtier oil for less miles is basically like running cleaner oil for more miles. It's the cleanliness level times how many times the sump has been pumped through the engine that correlates to wear from particulate in the oil.

I'd probably use a Boss if the efficiency was actually 99% @ 25u or better ... but since most are 99% @ >45u (nearly only 50 % @ 20u) per the M+H Spec Sheets, I wouldn't do it unless I changed oil like every 3,000 miles. And no way I'd run a filter with that efficiency for a 15K to 20K mile OCI.

Last edited:
Nah ... I'll just use a high efficiency oil filter (95% @ 20u or 99% @ 25u or better) and do normal (not extended) OCIs.

You're missing the main point and seem to be making up excuses about the main point of engine wear vs oil cleanliness. OCI length is also a factor as mentioned before in these discussions. Of course everything isn't constant, but in order to see the point you have to look at it with all things as constant as possible except for the level of oil cleanliness (like the wear studies do), and the OCI length, which as mentioned has a bearing on wear based on oil cleanliness level based on how long the oil is circulated over and over through the oiling system. Running a dirtier oil for less miles is basically like running cleaner oil for more miles. It's the cleanliness level times how many times the sump has been pumped through the engine that correlates to wear from particulate in the oil.

I'd probably use a Boss if the efficiency was actually 99% @ 25u or better ... but since most are 99% @ >45u (nearly only 50 % @ 20u) per the M+H Spec Sheets, I wouldn't do it unless I changed oil like every 3,000 miles. And no way I'd run a filter with that efficiency for a 15K to 20K mile OCI.
Simple solution... run what you'd like to run if you have the data that passes your sell test. Doesn't mean the filter you're using is any more efficient than the next without proper ISO test on it. Until you send in those "High Efficient oil Filters" for that test we wont know for sure.

Last edited:
On a Subaru, I wonder if the FRAM being set at half the OE spec bypass pressure could result in worse filtering than a less efficient filter that, in theory, goes into bypass less frequently.

During the great Subaru oil filter shortage, they released an alternate filter that had a lower bypass valve setting. TSB 02-191-22 recommends doing an oil change followed by an oil and filter change when using the alternate filter if it is the vehicle's first oil change or following lubricated engine part repairs that could result in increased particles in the oil. They must think there is a risk of the filter not catching enough due to the bypass valve setting in these situations.

So normally it would be an easy answer... but since FRAM doesn't bother to release a filter that matches OE specifications, maybe the Purolator BOSS is actually a better choice for this specific application.

Both those filters look good to me.
I like the endurance thicker can but not the price. I guess the efficiency is a little less efficient which doesn’t matter so much to me.
Seems like the endurance should just be a replacement for the ultra. I’m not seeing how keeping the ultra makes since seeing how they downgraded it. Could just be endurance, tough guard, extra guard but whatever.

Seems like the endurance should just be a replacement for the ultra. I’m not seeing how keeping the ultra makes since seeing how they downgraded it. Could just be endurance, tough guard, extra guard but whatever.
The Fram Endurance is only sold at Walmart, so that could be a big factor on why they also kept the Ultra, which is available at many places besides Walmart.

I was at Autozone today dropping off used oil. All I saw was 2 different STP versions and a small section with OEM filters (Motorcraft, Honda, Hyundai, AC Delco). No Purolator, Fram or others?

They did have the new Valvoline Restore and Protect in multiple viscosities.

I understand your position & it's nothing out of the ordinary but you know that a sample of one is not sufficient across the board.
Unless your assumption is that the media is unique to the specific filter tested by Ascent, it's very easy to extrapolate up or down in size and media area as to how efficiency plots.

Dramatic hand waving and posturing about how "a sample size of one" is insufficient in order to justify your own buying decisions; asserting that you are making a more "informed" decision, and that this decision making process is superior to that of others who are choosing to run an Ultra based on the FRAM and Ascent data is disingenuous grift. We know that, per Ascent, the Purolator spec sheet data isn't accurate either, so just how informed are you really?

Tire version of this discussion:

Let's say Michelin claims certain performance parameters about the Pilot Super Sport model of tires, as a blanket, based on a test of three different sizes in a standardized test.

Tire Rack performs the same test on 4x different Performance Summer tires in P275/45/ZR20 and the Michelin wipes the floor with everything else. The Khumo AssMaster 6000 ranks 4th.

Unlike Michelin, Khumo publishes specific performance spec sheets for each size of AssMaster 6000 tire, purportedly per this testing protocol.

- Is the person buying the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in P295/40/ZR20 making a poorly informed decision, considering both the MIchelin data and the Tire Rack test results, because performance data for that specific size is not provided?

- Is buying the Khumo AssMaster 6000 at the same price as the Michelin a better decision because Khumo provides performance data for that specific size, even though that data shows the performance is considerably less than the Michelin?

- Does the fact that the AssMaster 6000 yields different figures in the Tire Rack testing than what are provided by Khumo, bolster, or detract from the argument that being a Khumo buyer is being a more informed buyer because they provide those performance specs?

@ZeeOSix is the Michelin buyer. You are arguing with him that you are more informed and subsequently making a better decision by going with the AssMaster 6000 because even though the AssMaster was the poorest performing, you have a spec sheet and he only has the results from Michelin based on 3x different sizes and the Tire Rack results, which, somehow, are totally invalidated if we look at other sizes.

Do you realize how silly that looks?

Unless your assumption is that the media is unique to the specific filter tested by Ascent, it's very easy to extrapolate up or down in size and media area as to how efficiency plots.

Dramatic hand waving and posturing about how "a sample size of one" is insufficient in order to justify your own buying decisions; asserting that you are making a more "informed" decision, and that this decision making process is superior to that of others who are choosing to run an Ultra based on the FRAM and Ascent data is disingenuous grift. We know that, per Ascent, the Purolator spec sheet data isn't accurate either, so just how informed are you really?

Tire version of this discussion:

Let's say Michelin claims certain performance parameters about the Pilot Super Sport model of tires, as a blanket, based on a test of three different sizes in a standardized test.

Tire Rack performs the same test on 4x different Performance Summer tires in P275/45/ZR20 and the Michelin wipes the floor with everything else. The Khumo AssMaster 6000 ranks 4th.

Unlike Michelin, Khumo publishes specific performance spec sheets for each size of AssMaster 6000 tire, purportedly per this testing protocol.

- Is the person buying the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in P295/40/ZR20 making a poorly informed decision, considering both the MIchelin data and the Tire Rack test results, because performance data for that specific size is not provided?

- Is buying the Khumo AssMaster 6000 at the same price as the Michelin a better decision because Khumo provides performance data for that specific size, even though that data shows the performance is considerably less than the Michelin?

- Does the fact that the AssMaster 6000 yields different figures in the Tire Rack testing than what are provided by Khumo, bolster, or detract from the argument that being a Khumo buyer is being a more informed buyer because they provide those performance specs?

@ZeeOSix is the Michelin buyer. You are arguing with him that you are more informed and subsequently making a better decision by going with the AssMaster 6000 because even though the AssMaster was the poorest performing, you have a spec sheet and he only has the results from Michelin based on 3x different sizes and the Tire Rack results, which, somehow, are totally invalidated if we look at other sizes.

Do you realize how silly that looks?
First, I'm in no way saying my buying choice is "Superior". That is your words & narrative not mine. Purolators come with an ISO test on the individual filters which is what I like. When I say how much I like it I usually get some on here riled up about how terrible they are etc. Then they'll say why don't you run X brand filter because they say 99%@20 microns (W/O any data to show how they got there). You're only using Fram as an example but there are a lot of filter companies out here advertising those claims with little to back it up. Fram is not the only company that makes high efficiency claims. I'll continue to be responsible & let others know that there is data lacking on proper ISO filter tests when there are claims that aren't backed up. If you want to believe ANY company that claims 99%@20 microns, across all of their respective models, w/o any evidence than have at it.

Last edited:
First, I'm in no way saying my buying choice is "Superior". That is your words & narrative not mine. Purolators come with an ISO test on the individual filters which is what I like. When I say how much I like it I usually get some on here riled up about how terrible they are etc. Then they'll say why don't you run X brand filter because they say 99%@20 microns (W/O any data to show how they got there). You're only using Fram as an example but there are a lot of filter companies out here advertising those claims with little to back it up. Fram is not the only company that makes high efficiency claims. I'll continue to be responsible & let others know that there is data lacking on proper ISO filter tests when there are claims that aren't backed up. If you want to believe ANY company that claims 99%@20 microns, across all of their respective models, w/o any evidence than have at it.
So you believe that the three filters that Fram references for the ISO 4548-12 efficiency are the only ones that meet their claimed efficiency, and all others are something entirely different? Is it a conspiracy theory that Fram somehow only made some "super filters" to be used for their efficiency claims? We also have the Ascent data points - maybe Fram secretly planted a couple of special filters for Andrew to unknowingly buy off the shelf for his testing, lol. I remember when Ascent was going to test those filters, and some Fram haters were wringing their hands thinking the Ultra wouldn't meet the claims, but it actually was better than Fram's claim. Image of Wile E. Coyote blowing himself up with "dyn-o-mite" (goodtimes, lol). The way those filters ranked per Ascents testing pretty much matched how they would rank if looking at their ISO 4548-12 efficiency claims by the manufacturers.

What's funny about the whole M+H Spec Sheets and Purolator's website is that they are blatantly misleading people by showing the Boss PBL30001 being 99% @ 25u on their website, yet the Spec Sheet shows it's 99% >46u. That's a big discrepancy. And you don't trust Fram's claims? :oops: 😄

1704309316625.png

Spec Sheet ... 99% >46 microns. Why don't the two claims match?

If you heard the Boss was 50% @ 22u (which is pretty close to 20u), would you feel the same as hearing it was 99% >46u?

1704309403736.jpeg

Last edited:
BTW, in case you missed this in another thread.

So you believe that the three filters that Fram references for the ISO 4548-12 efficiency are the only ones that meet their claimed efficiency, and all others are something entirely different? Is it a conspiracy theory that Fram somehow only made some "super filters" to be used for their efficiency claims? We also have the Ascent data points - maybe Fram secretly planted a couple of special filters for Andrew to unknowingly buy off the shelf for his testing, lol. I remember when Ascent was going to test those filters, and some Fram haters were wringing their hands thinking the Ultra wouldn't meet the claims, but it actually was better than Fram's claim. Image of Wile E. Coyote blowing himself up with "dyn-o-mite" (goodtimes, lol). The way those filters ranked per Ascents testing pretty much matched how they would rank if looking at their ISO 4548-12 efficiency claims by the manufacturers.

What's funny about the whole M+H Spec Sheets and Purolator's website is that they are blatantly misleading people by showing the Boss PBL30001 being 99% @ 25u on their website, yet the Spec Sheet shows it's 99% >46u. That's a big discrepancy. And you don't trust Fram's claims? :oops: 😄

View attachment 196273

Spec Sheet ... 99% >46 microns. Why don't the two claims match?

If you heard the Boss was 50% @ 22u (which is pretty close to 20u), would you feel the same as hearing it was 99% >46u?
What was wrong with Ascent's testing? No one here is arguing that there was bad data on that OG Ultra filter. :unsure:

Back