Can you leave the engine running the whole long trip? Even to gas up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often fill up with the engine running. Especially on a hot day when I want to keep the climate control on.

I can't see anything dangerous with it at all.
It increases the chances of a flash fire - which is why it’s illegal in every US state.

It’s Federal law here - The United States has a Code of Federal Regulations regarding fuel handling and storage. You can find details of these rules under Title 29, section 1917.156, on the government’s eCFR website.

Also illegal in your country.

One of the female teachers left her car running all day while she was in the classroom teaching. Solid 8 hours LOL.
Imagine that this imbecile is teaching children.

Correction: If it was inadvertently done I take back my comment.....but if purposely done...it's pretty scary that she's a 'teacher'.

New Jersey is the only state where it is illegal to pump your own gas. An attendant will fill up your car just like in the old days. I doubt seriously that the pump jockey is going to allow you to leave the engine running during the fill-up
I live in New Jersey and I used to have that job. I know this.

I get that this thread perhaps has "triggered" some people... we must have different background experiences.

Having been a pump jockey at about a dozen or so stations in New Jersey, where New Jersey and I believe still Oregon are the only two states in the Union where it is "illegal" to pump your own gas.... a couple of things some may or may not know:

1. NJ is "Full Service" only, yes. Having delved into the most technical. "Service" ends when the pump is placed in the vehicle, fueling. The customer can then place it back.... that's my job...

2. Feds gas up their own car. NJ law be good riddance.

3. Contractors gas up their own vehicles. NJ law be good riddance.

4. MOST people take being told "I'm sorry sir, it is Full Service in NJ you can't pump your own gas" well. SOME either a. Are not trying to hear that or 2. Get nasty with you or c. Do It anyway. If it is a station where you can start the pump with a card? You're like me.. you do it anyways, no mind what attendant does. If you try to force the issue and shut off a pump or something.. you can get complained about and lose your job. It has occured to me that many may not know this. The police aren't coming because someone is pumping their own gas. That's a manager/station/customer issue. D. Cops pump their own gas.

5. I don't look at your card info or anything if you pass me the card and stay in your car. Some people don't trust and do it themselves, too

6. Ever seen someone smoke while pumping gas? I have. Or, smoke IN the car and cite "25 feet" while their car is next to the pump.....

The NJ/Oregon "You canr pump your own gas" thing is kind of a joke.. yeah 99% let the attendant do it, PLENTY others pump their own. Just find a station where the attendant doesnt have to start the pump... @hrv your reply is appreciated...

So perhaps I'll just turn it off and gas up normal, then. This car isn't the one with the bad experience. Perhaps I am/is/was "overthinking the heck out of this." This will be my replies for the day.

@Astro14 Thats correct, you can ask, doesn't mean they will...

Possible "Peak BITOG" lol

Last edited:
New Jersey is the only state where it is illegal to pump your own gas. An attendant will fill up your car just like in the old days. I doubt seriously that the pump jockey is going to allow you to leave the engine running during the fill-up
Oregon, too. Though exceptions are made for small towns.

You‘re correct that the attendants know the law and will ask you to shut off your vehicle.

In this circumstance it's certainly not ideal or needed, but as far as leaving engines running while fueling, people have been doing it forever in cold climates. With Mom, wife or kids in the car and its 10* out, snowing hard, and the wind is howling... if I'm having to get fuel the motor is running. I'm keeping the heat and defroster on, and not even taking a chance it won't start. While I'm sure there has been a fire from it somewhere, it's not like fires happen all the time from it. The hand wringing here is greatly exaggerated as to the danger.

We got a Spring storm yesterday. 2' of wet snow. Power out everywhere. One station in town had power. Every car at the pumps had it's engine running. Every one.

I have family in a 3rd world country and they never turn their car off. They and everyone else and still do it with no issues.

I turn my car off but only time I left it running was for heat when it was 10 degrees out with family in the car.

I have family in a 3rd world country and they never turn their car off. They and everyone else and still do it with no issues.

I turn my car off but only time I left it running was for heat when it was 10 degrees out with family in the car.
I light up a cigar every time I fill up. Stand by the nozzle. Still do it.

No issues.

That’s makes it OK…I mean, as long as I flick the ashes away from the vapors, there won’t be any problems…because nothing has happened to me, that makes it safe.

🤦‍♂️

I never shut a car off when fueling up. I don't do it to be a scofflaw; it's just that I'm often fueling and going immediately right back off the station lot.

I'd be interested to hear a cognitive, well-reasoned explanation as to why it's dangerous to leave the car running during fueling. What is it about a running car that makes it "more dangerous" than a vehicle that is shut off, anyway? A car doesn't become more of a danger in regard to static discharge, does it?

I live in New Jersey and I used to have that job. I know this.

I get that this thread perhaps has "triggered" some people... we must have different background experiences.
I concur.. other than it being illegal in most places to refuel while running the engine, from a statistical safety standpoint the risk of fire is still minimal, just by running the numbers.. then again they warn you not to fuel a gas can in the vehicle because of the risk of static electricity causing a fire. :) I don't know what to tell you except do whatever you want, and be sorry for yourself for having asked the question.

I'd be interested to hear a cognitive, well-reasoned explanation as to why it's dangerous to leave the car running during fueling. What is it about a running car that makes it "more dangerous" than a vehicle that is shut off, anyway? A car doesn't become more of a danger in regard to static discharge, does it?
According to,
It increases the chances of a flash fire
How? Maybe back 40 years ago when most cars had carburetors and were susceptible to backfires? Even then, engines rarely backfired at idle.

I dont see any problem with it at all. Itis common practice here in the winter while filling up. If your worried about it getting stolen bring an extra door key or fob and lock it up if you go inside. Pay at the pump, let it run.

I never shut a car off when fueling up. I don't do it to be a scofflaw; it's just that I'm often fueling and going immediately right back off the station lot.

Well, ignoring the legality, and the optics of a police officer ignoring both state and federal law while in performance of his duties…

Let me ask the inverse - what cognitive, well reasoned evidence do you have of a running car having the same static electric discharge potential as a car that is shut down?

With all the electronic systems operating, the car is switching significant current on and off. There is an increased chance of both vapor, from some fuel systems that are circulating fuel, or recovering vapor, using electric pumps, and static discharge from increased electric current flow. With all the systems operating, there is an increased chance of static electricity generation…coupled with the increased vapor…and your fire risk goes up.

Though the greatest risk of static discharge is synthetic clothing sliding across cloth seats, not the car itself. That one factor has actually produced static discharge and car fires on occasion.

I suspect the law prohibiting fueling with the engine running comes from the days of poorly shielded ignition systems, and of fuel tanks directly vented to the atmosphere, where increased vapor and more sparks increased the risk.

But since no one has tested the difference between a running car and a shut down car, there is no way to conclusively say they’re of equal safety.

So, with temperatures well below zero, or some other compelling consideration to leave it running, I’ll accept a slight increase in risk for the benefit of leaving the engine running. That is a thoughtful reason to ignore the law on the matter and to accept a change in risk.

We are back to legality once again.

We travel with a Norwegian Elkhound dog

Vj3aRdD.jpg
That's one cute puppy!

Reactions: hrv
Up in Alberta and Alaska during the frigid winter months there are guys who leave their engines on overnight because they won't start up in the morning otherwise. Some machines only shutdown for oil changes etc.
During very cold periods (-40 C/F or so) in northern Alberta we used to leave our trucks running constantly, except when changing the oil.

PS One of the joys of the Tesla is the heat or AC can be set to run while you're "fueling up". Constant heat is a nice feature when I'm waiting for my wife. And there is a "dog in the car" setting for when you have the dog along and have to leave the car sitting in the sun.

It's that way in Oregon as well.

go for it. it shouldn't set a cel in 5 minutes of refiling but I could be wrong. don't spill too much gas and there probably won't be a fire. its a dumb idea but I'm not going to stop you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back