Can CVT's last over 200k with no problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan says their NV200 is tested for like 800,000 miles for durability. NV200s have CVTs.

As long as you change the fluid at it's intervals I doubt you will have issues.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Probably depends who makes it; I bet there are a lot of prius out there with 200K+ problem free transmissions

It's sort of unfair to compare the Prius CVT to any others as it's just a planetary gearset connected to two electric motors and the gasoline engine.

That being said, I'm sure some CVTs will make it to 200k+. The automatic transmission and all technologies to follow have certainly had their "teething" years after their introduction -- DCTs, for example, have not proven to be incredibly long-lived thus far.

How many transmissions of any kind make it 200k+ miles without issue? Not many -- even manual transmissions may require having the clutch replaced, synchronizers replaced, etc.

I do miss my manual transmission '93 Mitsubishi Mirage with 190k miles that shifted like a dream, though.

My farm truck is an '84 F100 w/ 300 I6 and NP435 3 speed + low and I love driving it.

200K is probably the end-of-the-line for most automatics. Would really be impressed if a CVT could outlast an AT.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
Nissan says their NV200 is tested for like 800,000 miles for durability. NV200s have CVTs.
As long as you change the fluid at it's intervals I doubt you will have issues.
800,000 miles if Nissan used 100 test cars equals 8000 miles per car. Hopefully more testing than that was done.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
200K is probably the end-of-the-line for most automatics. Would really be impressed if a CVT could outlast an AT.

I have had two go over 200k. One went 230k and the other 265k. Changed the fluid and filter ever 30k when I got them (at around 100k miles). They were both Buick's, one a 93 Riviera and the other a 93 LeSabre.

Nissan announced MAJOR issues with the CVT supplier...which they also own a majority of. I hear lots of problems with the CVT transmissions in Nissans, especially the Juke.

Probably depends who makes it; I bet there are a lot of prius out there with 200K+ problem free transmissions

LOL, that's funny because the Prius "transmission" isn't a CVT, it's two variable speed AC motors that vary their speed through a planetary gear set to set the output speed.

It's got nothing to do with Nissan's CVTs, or CVT's in general.

It's an immensly clever idea that was copied by Ford/GM...but had a hydraulic analogue back 100 years ago give or take.

At first I thought you were talking about catalytic ConVerTers; so my answer was going to be "very few"!

Originally Posted By: Shannow

LOL, that's funny because the Prius "transmission" isn't a CVT, it's two variable speed AC motors that vary their speed through a planetary gear set to set the output speed.

It's got nothing to do with Nissan's CVTs, or CVT's in general.

It's an immensly clever idea that was copied by Ford/GM...but had a hydraulic analogue back 100 years ago give or take.

Is it funny if i didn't know that.

Last edited:
My sister had a 2007 Freestyle with the 3.0 Duratech and the CVT and it made it to 190k before her son wrapped it around a telephone pole out in the middle of nowhere. She's not known for maintaining her vehicles all that well, and the person she bought it from piled on the miles as a traveling salesman and he never changed the fluid or filter.

I have no idea who made the unit for Ford at that time.

Not at 200k, but my moms Altima CVT is showing no sings of weakness at all with 131k.

Since we are comparing Traditional Autos, my dads 01 Supercharged Frontier has 261k on the original Auto trans. The pan has never been dropped. Just frequent drain, and fills with conventional Dex 3.
It's operating like new as far as I can tell.

That is the standard I'm hoping to get out of the Altima. It gets CVT Drain, and fills every 25k-30k with Nissan CVT fluid.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Not at 200k, but my moms Altima CVT is showing no sings of weakness at all with 131k.

Since we are comparing Traditional Autos, my dads 01 Supercharged Frontier has 261k on the original Auto trans. The pan has never been dropped. Just frequent drain, and fills with conventional Dex 3.
It's operating like new as far as I can tell.

That is the standard I'm hoping to get out of the Altima. It gets CVT Drain, and fills every 25k-30k with Nissan CVT fluid.

How much does the CVT drain and fill cost? That's pretty frequent servicing, could add up to a good bit of money over 200k miles.

Local cab company runs 40 Civics ... Hybrids !
They run them 300k miles and replace them . Normal maintenance and they hold up well .

You can do it this way ... Or have Nissan use their Consult scanner to check the fluid deterioration level.. If its greater than 235k then it needs to be changed. I've read on the Nissan an Infiniti site that people have gone well past 100k miles without need the CVT fluid changed. Nissan does claim it is a lifetime fluid. This may mean 150k or 200k miles. I read where one fwla had his scan done at 60k miles and his deterioration number was just 56k. Extrapolate that out and he wouldn't have to change it until over 200,000 miles plus.

But Anthony is definitely taking great care of this car.
smile.gif
so it will be good for a very long time. I don't think that is wrong at all. In my manual it does give a couple of options. The premium one does say to change it quite often. Schedule one and two just say to have it scanned by the Consult scanner. My car has been doing really great and has 115k miles. No change in CVT fluid needed yet. Doesn't burn any noticeable amount of motor oil and still has original rotors too.

Last edited:
I have Ford Freestyle that have 206,000 miles on the CVT. I have just change fluids on the CVT and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back