Honda CVT transmission

This guy still isn't a fan. Says Honda ones are a bit better but they still see failures around 50k miles. Likely due to no fluid changes if I had to guess. Still annoying.

Even without regular fluid changes the CVT in the Civic is pretty reliable for most people. Mine has only had two fluid changes in it's life and the CVT still behaves perfectly. I personally think the way people drive these cars has more to do with how reliable the CVT will be for them. For instance people who live in very hilly areas with hot climates are probably putting the most stress on those CVTs. People like me who drive very gently shouldn't have any issues.

Some of them do. For example, the 9th gen Accord has paddle shifters on the Sport model, but even with the paddles, the fake shifting is optional. When not in sport mode, it behaves like a regular CVT. Other Accords without the paddles operate like a normal CVT.

Some Subarus have the fake shifting, and others don't. For example, on the SJ Forester, the turbos have it (and maybe some of the higher versions of the non-turbo), but most non-turbos don't. I've never driven a Forester XT, so I don't know whether the fake shifting is mandatory or not. On the non-turbo, there is no fake shifting, and it behaves like a CVT should.
The only way you get fake shifts on a Honda if you have the sport mode with the paddle shifter on the steering wheel..my 21 hrv has that...never use it...

My best friend's daughter has a little over 220k on her 2017 Accord. The only time the fluid has been changed was about 2 months ago and only because the transmission pan had to be removed to repair a crack in it caused by running over a big rock. No issues with it.

Then I hear of people having transmission problems with regular service.

Reactions: hrv
Back