Honda CVT transmission

On my 17 accord sport with cvt, it will show gear indicator if in sport mode using the paddle shifters.

It won’t show the gear it is in under normal driving conditions, unless you hit one of the paddle shifters to go up or down a gear it will show the gear then go away and go back into automatic mode if that makes sense

Got it. Thanks.

Please post some pictures of your service efforts.
When I take it in for service I will try and make sure that they understand that they need to take pictures after they pull all the bolts out and drop the pan. I'm kind of excited about it myself so hopefully one of the good service managers will be there and he'll let me take a couple snap shots. I am going to request all the old filters back so if somebody wants to cut those open and do some cut and paste and show everybody I'm up for that too

No data anywhere in this thread.

Does anyone have CVT vs AT vs ST reliability data?

I'm not sure if the Honda CVT will hold up as well as the conventional AT, but it certainly hasn't approached the negative reviews of failures experienced by Nissan.

We were all set to buy a Corolla back in 2018..... Until I drove one with the CVT transmission. I hated the thing, and couldn't get out of it fast enough.

It felt like driving a conventional automatic transmission that slipped really bad. We ended up buying a Camry instead, with the conventional geared 8-speed. And absolutely love it. It's the nicest driving car I've ever owned.
Cool story but this is about Honda and CRV…..

CRV's all operate on the same basic principal. The only difference appears to be in which one's have the most problems. But if you hate the way they drive, you're not going to like them period.... Regardless of who makes them.
Software is amazing which is on the car makers to implement. I have a car with VW Tiguan which has same 8 speed in Camry and camry drives completely different. Not even close. Initially I hated it then VW updated the ECU and cleaned up their driveability.

What I am saying is they don’t all drive the same even the SAME transmission……

Software is amazing which is on the car makers to implement. I have a car with VW Tiguan which has same 8 speed in Camry and camry drives completely different. Not even close. Initially I hated it then VW updated the ECU and cleaned up their driveability.

What I am saying is they don’t all drive the same even the SAME transmission……
Camry's have 8-speed geared transmissions. They are not CVT.... As I mentioned in my post. Apples and oranges.

Camry's have 8-speed geared transmissions. They are not CVT.... As I mentioned in my post. Apples and oranges.
lol, I have the exact same 8 speed transmission in a VW made my AISIN does not even feel close to Camry. They programmed them different. You are correct on apples to orange comparing a Toyota to Honda , agreed.

Sure, my 8-speed V-8 Jeep drives differently than my 8-speed 4 cylinder Camry. They are completely different vehicles. But the transmissions shift and operate the same. They're both gear driven, not a belt and pulley system.

Point being, is neither of them drive like any CVT. Because they operate on completely different principals. (Gearbox vs. belt & cone pulleys).

Honda's CVT is very good. Smooth and seamless. It is also very easy to change the fluid on, even easier than an oil change.
They do seem to be reliable.

But they are not "smooth and seamless". I rent Honda vehicles with CVT's all the time, sometimes 2 or 3 times per week. They all have a slight rubber-band feel. A fore-aft resonance that I find annoying as can be, as it feels like someone is just slightly and quickly pumping the brakes during slow speeds and modest acceleration. Can't stand it.

Once at highway speeds they are fine. Also, a bit more tolerable in "sport" mode.

They do seem to be reliable.

But they are not "smooth and seamless". I rent Honda vehicles with CVT's all the time, sometimes 2 or 3 times per week. They all have a slight rubber-band feel.....
That's exactly how the Corolla I drove felt. It felt like the transmission was always trying to "catch up".

Do a drain and fill at 30K and only use the Honda brand of CVT fluid. You only get half of the fluid out when you do a drain and fill, so after that you should be doing a drain and feel more often like every 15,000.

Also if it's an all-wheel drive the rear end fluid needs to be changed somewhere between 15 ,000 and 20,000 miles the first time and it can go a little bit longer for each additional one after that like about 25,000 but if it's used in a severe environment like a lot of hills or a lot of City driving with a lot of turns then go back to 20,000 every time you change it. The rear end fluid also takes a specific Honda fluid and that is the only fluid that can be used in it. It's different than the CVT fluid so don't get the two of them mixed up. There are YouTube videos on how to do these drain fills there is a filter for the CVT but that doesn't need to be serviced until at least 80,000 miles. It is a cartridge type filter and there is one YouTube video about how to do that but it's on a 2015 or 2016 and that was the 2.4 L normally aspirated, not the 1.5 L turbocharged that they're putting in all of them now.
and both jobs are easy to do yourself on the Honda..

I think your daughter will have great luck with CVT would have no concerns on longevity. Eons back Honda and auto transmissions was sometimes shaky . They got this right and believe vast majority of car makers did in recent years.

Amazing efficiency from them.

A CVT is mechanical and will eventually wear out just like all mechanical things. The key is proper maintenance. If you change the fluid regularly and don't abuse it, it will last a good long while.

Internet forums are full of people who claim their engines or transmissions "blew up". But they never tell you how they treated the car. Sure, there are some lemons out there, but if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. The only CVT transmission that are know to be junk are the Nissan Jatco units.

Yes they have a tendency to really sheer down the fluids very similar to some of our high-end luxury and performance cars that have really big timing chains. I've got to the point now where I can remove some out of the fill plug but I feel better just taking it in after it's hot and letting it drain. I'm very anxious to see how it looks once I pull the pan here shortly. All new gaskets all new filters.
How're you liking the Redline CVT in the Honda trans?

A CVT is mechanical and will eventually wear out just like all mechanical things. The key is proper maintenance. If you change the fluid regularly and don't abuse it, it will last a good long while.

Internet forums are full of people who claim their engines or transmissions "blew up". But they never tell you how they treated the car. Sure, there are some lemons out there, but if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. The only CVT transmission that are know to be junk are the Nissan Jatco units.

Driving the car in a spirited manner shouldn't be considered abuse but apparently, it puts more strain on the fluid than if it was driven more gently.

Honda HCF-2 went from 7.06cSt to 6.3 cSt in under 6k miles on a new transmission.

I've done 16k miles since then and have a UOA of red line CVT on the way to Polaris so it'll be interesting to see how it compares

Back