CA Law Requiring 10,000 mile oil chang in gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Most citizens (non gov fleet) will ignore the law. Law doesn't force anyone to go >10,000 miles[...]
I realize that, which is why I said - "The larger issue to have everyone actually use the oil for 10K..." Too many could use the oil for 10K, but dump it at 5K or less with plenty of life left in it.

The bottom line is we Californian will pay more for engine oil with special label on every quart bottle/jug "For California Use Only". The label may costs oil company 1 penny but they will charge $1/qt extra.

There are some parts/chemicals ... that are not sold in California, or we have special formula (or special label) and it costs us more than the same part sold in other states.

We have special gasoline blend that cost us an extra $15-20 cents a gallon, we have special R134 that costs about 30-40% more than the same can elsewhere.

Looks like the CA Legislative Counsel agrees with my interpretation of the HB 778 as written. Turns out the law as written could void car warranties. This proves nothing in the law says "or just follow OLM" as some above have said. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/ From http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/sen/sb_0751-0800/sb_778_cfa_20150427_162850_sen_comm.html

3. Possible Unintended Consequences:

A. Potential Voiding of Car's Warranty.

Most vehicles sold include warranties by the manufacturers,
dealerships, and/or insurance companies. A warranty is an
agreement between the manufacturer, dealership, or
insurance company and the customer that should something
break, malfunction, or otherwise go wrong with the vehicle
within a certain period of time or miles driven, then the
manufacturer, dealership, or insurance company will repair
or replace the component at no additional cost to the
customer. Usually, such agreements require the customer
to regularly maintain the vehicle like changing the oil on
specified intervals such as every 5,000 miles. It may be
possible that the owner accidentally voids the warranty if
he/she follows the mileage on the bottle of the lubricant
oil rather than as prescribed by the vehicle manual or
warranty agreement.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
There goes all the Bullseye, Everclear, & other junk c-store brands-CA is going to have to do a LOT of inspections, though.
I have never seen those here.in fact I had to search for a nd oil.all the places here seem to stock pennz,chevron and super tech.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Quote:
This bill, on and after January 1, 2018, would require all automotive oil sold in this state to be certified by the oil manufacturer to achieve a minimum useful life of 10,000 miles when used in accordance with the automobile manufacturer’s recommendations, and to meet current automotive industry standards.

That means for new car engine that is designed to do 10k OCI. Which means those designed for extended OCI already. I think that's pretty easy to do even with today's oil.

Now of course you can't expect 10K OCI on an aircooled VW.

Who is the one that has reading comprehension problem that says it is for ALL engine?

So if you and A_Harman are correct, then this scenario plays out:
Citizen A has a 2015 Ford which says change the SN oil at 5,000 miles. Its exempt from the CA law's 10,000 mile minimum at all times.
Citizen B has a 2015 Toyota whose OLM might allow 10,000 miles, so this vehicle might be in compliance with the 10,000 minimum, but only around half the time.
What does the law do then? If OLMs and owner's manuals simply override it every time.

About reading comprehension, what text in the law exempts VW engines or any other engines? Reading comprehension requires text, right? LMAO

This is the part "when used in accordance with the automobile manufacturer’s recommendations". The recommendation in your owner's manual is pretty much a "except this" case of the law.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I realize that, which is why I said - "The larger issue to have everyone actually use the oil for 10K..." Too many could use the oil for 10K, but dump it at 5K or less with plenty of life left in it.

Not sure, but by forcing oil companies into officially guaranteeing oil for 10,000 miles, that might be stated on the label, for public education.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The bottom line is we Californian will pay more for engine oil with special label on every quart bottle/jug "For California Use Only". The label may costs oil company 1 penny but they will charge $1/qt extra.

There are some parts/chemicals ... that are not sold in California, or we have special formula (or special label) and it costs us more than the same part sold in other states.

We have special gasoline blend that cost us an extra $15-20 cents a gallon, we have special R134 that costs about 30-40% more than the same can elsewhere.

Yes, that means those air cooled VW designed for 3k OCI are likely to be forced to use expensive synthetic, along with those cars that burn 1 qt every 500 miles.

That doesn't means the oil company must guarantee 10K OCI on these engine because 10K OCI is not "in accordance with the automobile manufacturer's recommendations".

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Well, I guess Valvoline will have to change its blanket statement.....on oils should be changed out every 3K miles. Better stock up on VWB and other conventionals before they're pulled from the shelves in CA and NY.

You know it! As soon as it's passed in CA, it's going to be law here too ...

And that means that there won't be any more cheap oils.

I'd start driving to PA to buy oil! It's only 130 miles to the closest Walmart in PA!

Maybe the oil companies could deny warranty coverage for fleet use in California unless the lubricant selected is A3/B4 or E7/E9 with the correspondingly high HTHS. It would serve the tree huggers right.
wink.gif

I guess this is the motor oil equivalent of "you can't use that light bulb because we know better than you". So you now have to put a $5 light bulb in that closet you only go in once a year. You'll have to put super premium synthetic in your 20 year old junker. Don't let them catch you trying to smuggle in any SuperTech from an out of state Walmart. With lefties, everything is either banned or mandatory.

Quote:
The state owns [in 2011] 50,000 cars, trucks, vans, buses, boats and aircraft, said Elizabeth Ashford, a spokeswoman for the governor.

Increasing OCIs won't even be a drop in the proverbial bucket to the $117.5 billion California will fritter away this year.

Makes swell headlines for grandstanding politicians cleverly obfuscating attention away from our real challenges though!

source

This is a big yawn. How often do we see a used oil analysis showing that oil is worn out at <10k miles? Almost never, except for a few diesels that get fuel dilution or engines with serious blow-by issues. I drive mine well beyond 10k except for my Saab with its known sludge problem.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
This is a big yawn. How often do we see a used oil analysis showing that oil is worn out at div>

Bingo!!

Originally Posted By: totegoat
This is a big yawn. How often do we see a used oil analysis showing that oil is worn out at div>

Bingo!!
That's not how it's going to play out. You think Mobil(or anyone else) is going to green light Mobil Super for 10K under all conditions? Of course not. The car makers aren't going to take responsibility for using just anything. They'll certainly require certain oils What will be left is the premium lines at premium prices.

Last edited:
Does aged oil use more fuel than when fresh?
If so, what is gained by extending the oci?
What you save in oil, you spend on non-renewable
fuel.
I worked for a large company that almost went bankrupt
from it's own growing list of rules and regulations.

Getting rid of the 5,000 employees that had nothing better
to do than dream up and enforce those rules
turned the place around in no time.

My guess is that in California, there is a fleet of government
employees that do little else than produce methane and dream-
up new rules and regulations.

(Their trick is the same as labor unions,
control others and avoid being controlled.)

I suppose there are many that believe 3,000 mile changes are too long.

I ordered kits from Blackstone, and I'll sample 4 or 5 of my engines just for fun.

I agree with those saying that this law is a big no-impact. An oil is forced to say they can go for 10,000 miles. Then few people will actually do that, so no impact. When they go 10k miles, their engine won't explode, even on conventional SN level oil.

Interesting its being legislated this way if the law passes. An experiment.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: totegoat

Bingo!!
That's not how it's going to play out. You think Mobil(or anyone else) is going to green light Mobil Super for 10K under all conditions? Of course not. The car makers aren't going to take responsibility for using just anything. They'll certainly require certain oils What will be left is the premium lines at premium prices.

Not so sure premium products are needed if that law goes into effect. You mentioned Mobil Super. From the Mobil website comes 25,000 mile oil change intervals on Mobil Super!! ::::

"Mobil Super versus 100,000 miles
The Mobil Super severe service tests were performed at the ExxonMobil Technical Center in Paulsboro, New Jersey. At that busy research facility, lubricant engineers tested Mobil Super under simulated grueling driving conditions, running an engine lubricated with Mobil Super for 100,000 miles:

With a 1,500-pound load
Variable degree of incline
At 25,000-mile drain intervals
1-2 quarts low on oil
Vehicle operation under such severe combined conditions can sometimes result in excessive wear and potential engine breakdown.

The severe service test results are in
Following the series of tests, engineers disassembled the engine completely and invited a third-party engine inspector in to assess the results and look for mechanical and corrosive wear throughout the engine. The results showed:

No sludge deposits
Engine parts that were much cleaner than expected under such use
Well-controlled viscosity increase, and low iron levels, in the used oil"

The 3k mile oil change won't die. My dealer where I just bought my truck from sent me their recommended service plan which cuts the manufacture services in half basically. With 3k mile oil changes...Yeah I'm going to change 6 quarts of a semi synthetic oil at 3k, and the kicker is the Cummins is on the same "service plan"
crackmeup2.gif

Besides this won't impact CA, its full of cars that already do this, ie Toyota's, BMW's, and Tesla's...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back