Transcript of a conversation with Mazda regarding "recommended" vs "required" oil viscosity

*Disclaimer: I work for a Mazda dealership and am a big Mazda fan. This conversation was with the "chat support" on the Mazda consumer facing (www.mazdausa.com) website. As a veteran of auto sales for two decades now I full well realize the person I was chatting with was not a service manager or an engineer, but rather call center type employee; realizing that makes this convo a little less frustrating but not much.

*Bold is the Mazda chat persons reply*

• Hello Ed“Welcome to Mazda Customer Experience Center Chat. For quality assurance and training purposes, your chat session is recorded or may be monitored or reviewed. By joining this chat, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy: https://www.mazdausa.com/site/terms-of-use"You are now chatting with Kimberly
    Kimberly R

• Hello, Kimberly. I sent a longer question, did you receive that?
    1:33 PM
  • Thank you for contacting Mazda my name is kimberly, I would be happy to assist you with your concerns today. May I have your vin number and mileage?
    1:37 PM
  • K
    I do apologize your message was cut off.
    Kimberly R

• I don't have my VIN handy unfortunately.

• Okay, so here is my question.....

• We have a '24 CX-90 and a '24 Mazda 3 Hatch we recently bought - we love both. I am a bit confused by the maintenance needed to keep the warranty intact. I see in both owners manual it says use 0W20 viscosity engine oil "to achieve maximum fuel economy" but also lists that you can use a different viscosity oil if unavailable or in different regions, such as 0W30 or 5W30. I understand the necessity to follow the interval of 6 months / 5000 miles for severe use or 1 year / 10000 miles for non-severe use, I just need a definitive answer to the question of whether or not I can use a 0W30 or 5W30 engine oil in either car and not void the warranty.
    1:40 PM
  • With my research Mazda recommends in using Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil for 2024 CX90.
    1:42 PM

• I understand that. I was curious if using a different viscosity would void the warranty. Per the owners manual and various Mazda resources 5W30, for example, is used in different regions.
    1:43 PM
  • Would be the same for the 24 Mazda 3 Hatch to use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
  • No that would not.
  • K
    It gives you others incase you cannot find one or the other.
    Kimberly R

1:44 PM
  • Ahhh, very good. Yes, I understand that. We are big Mazda fans and don't foresee any issues but is there something I get that will outline that I can use a 5W30 or 0W30 in either/both cars if I prefer. Of course, like I mentioned I realize I will have to abide by the two service schedules outlined in the owners manual.
    1:45 PM

• *something I can get definitively stating that

• It would be in your owners manual.

• Right.... But it is very vaugely worded there, thus why I contacted you guys here.
    1:46 PM
  • We recommend whatever it states in your owner manual. That you can obtain on Mazda website.
  • K
    We wouldn't have no other documentation on it besides what it shows on your owners manual. You can speak with your selling dealership to see if they have a better documentation there.
    Kimberly R

• Gotcha. Thanks for your help. Will I get an email transcript of this convo?

• K
    We do not do that no.
    Kimberly R

• Thank you.

So......it seems almost as vaguely worded as the owners manual with just "SAE grade oil". I plan to try to get a little more clarification from our Service Director or Warranty Administrator. While I'm not worry about either of our cars blowing up the next time I turn them on, I wanted to try to find some answers to "what does the manufacturer REQUIRE" questions I see posed here and can try to find the answer for here.

*Disclaimer: I work for a Mazda dealership and am a big Mazda fan. This conversation was with the "chat support" on the Mazda consumer facing (www.mazdausa.com) website. As a veteran of auto sales for two decades now I full well realize the person I was chatting with was not a service manager or an engineer, but rather call center type employee; realizing that makes this convo a little less frustrating but not much.

*Bold is the Mazda chat persons reply*

• Hello Ed“Welcome to Mazda Customer Experience Center Chat. For quality assurance and training purposes, your chat session is recorded or may be monitored or reviewed. By joining this chat, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy: https://www.mazdausa.com/site/terms-of-use"You are now chatting with Kimberly
    Kimberly R

• Hello, Kimberly. I sent a longer question, did you receive that?
    1:33 PM
  • Thank you for contacting Mazda my name is kimberly, I would be happy to assist you with your concerns today. May I have your vin number and mileage?
  • K
    I do apologize your message was cut off.
    Kimberly R
  • I don't have my VIN handy unfortunately.

• Okay, so here is my question.....

• We have a '24 CX-90 and a '24 Mazda 3 Hatch we recently bought - we love both. I am a bit confused by the maintenance needed to keep the warranty intact. I see in both owners manual it says use 0W20 viscosity engine oil "to achieve maximum fuel economy" but also lists that you can use a different viscosity oil if unavailable or in different regions, such as 0W30 or 5W30. I understand the necessity to follow the interval of 6 months / 5000 miles for severe use or 1 year / 10000 miles for non-severe use, I just need a definitive answer to the question of whether or not I can use a 0W30 or 5W30 engine oil in either car and not void the warranty.
    1:40 PM
  • With my research Mazda recommends in using Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil for 2024 CX90.
    1:42 PM

• I understand that. I was curious if using a different viscosity would void the warranty. Per the owners manual and various Mazda resources 5W30, for example, is used in different regions.
    1:43 PM
  • Would be the same for the 24 Mazda 3 Hatch to use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
  • No that would not.
  • K
    It gives you others incase you cannot find one or the other.
    Kimberly R

1:44 PM
  • Ahhh, very good. Yes, I understand that. We are big Mazda fans and don't foresee any issues but is there something I get that will outline that I can use a 5W30 or 0W30 in either/both cars if I prefer. Of course, like I mentioned I realize I will have to abide by the two service schedules outlined in the owners manual.
    1:45 PM

• *something I can get definitively stating that

• It would be in your owners manual.

• Right.... But it is very vaugely worded there, thus why I contacted you guys here.
    1:46 PM
  • We recommend whatever it states in your owner manual. That you can obtain on Mazda website.
  • K
    We wouldn't have no other documentation on it besides what it shows on your owners manual. You can speak with your selling dealership to see if they have a better documentation there.
    Kimberly R

• Gotcha. Thanks for your help. Will I get an email transcript of this convo?

• K
    We do not do that no.
    Kimberly R
  • Thank you.

So......it seems almost as vaguely worded as the owners manual with just "SAE grade oil". I plan to try to get a little more clarification from our Service Director or Warranty Administrator. While I'm not worry about either of our cars blowing up the next time I turn them on, I wanted to try to find some answers to "what does the manufacturer REQUIRE" questions I see posed here and can try to find the answer for here.

IMO due to the M&M Act automakers are loath to "require" much of anything in their manual. After all look at the number of engines Hyundai/Kia has replaced no questions asked. In addition call center employees are likely not given any latitude with regards to answering these types of questions.

Basically if your manual states 5w30 is okay then you can use it.

Does anyone know of any anecdotal evidence where an engine has failed and the vehicle manufacture actually took an oil sample , tested it and denied a warranty siting the wrong viscosity of oil being used?

Does anyone know of any anecdotal evidence where an engine has failed and the vehicle manufacture actually took an oil sample , tested it and denied a warranty siting the wrong viscosity of oil being used?
IMO, that doesn't matter. It's a risk decision.

If you use xxWxx oil and there is a chance that you'll ruin the warranty on your brand new 2024 MY vehicle, is it worth the risk?

Is it likely that you'll have an issue and toast the engine by using 0w or 5w30 in a 0w20 application? No, but is it worth the risk?

The ultimate question of this is: Is it worth the risk?

Certainly not trying to incite fear or anything like that, but it's a reasonable thing to consider given the possible cost involved.

In this situation, it sounds like there's enough wording in the Owners Manual that using a 0w or 5w30 instead of 0w20 will not be an issue but we all know that these manuals and other documents are written to protect the manufacturer.

The only thing that’s technically “required” is an oil that does not cause damage to the engine. No oil of a somewhat higher HT/HS is going to cause damage, that’s not how it works.

And the NHTSA requires the manufacturer to strenuously discourage the use of any grade that was not used for fuel economy testing. It’s about the money.

Oh here we go again. wheeeeeeeeeeee....

FWIW - "will it void the warranty" and "will it be covered" are not precisely the same thing, even a denial of coverage for one part does not "void the warranty" it is simply not covered under the warranty which remains in force.

Here it is - RECOMMENDED:

1699999243398.jpg

1699999366694.jpg

SM is the minimum....

Thanks for the feedback, all. My goal was to get a definitive statement but dealing with a call center employee that was probably googling the exact questions I asked means that wasn’t feasible.

As a commenter mentioned in this thread it’s all about a risk formula. The chances of a catastrophic engine failure where it could be traced back to an oil issue are pretty low. But “what if….” I also do realize that it wouldn’t void the whole warranty as oil viscosity wouldn’t have anything to do with a seat heater failing.

I know this topic - like many - has been beaten to death but I was trying to attack
It from a different angle - getting a statement from the OEM.

I did talk to our Asst Sevice Manager and he says the only thing Mazda would really want if push comes to shove is documented synthetic oil changes that fall within 1 of the 2 approved severe or non-severe schedules. He said the the times he’s seen denials is where the engine is sludged beyond belief and the customer couldn’t even recall their last oil change since owning the car.

Thanks for the feedback, all. My goal was to get a definitive statement but dealing with a call center employee that was probably googling the exact questions I asked means that wasn’t feasible.

As a commenter mentioned in this thread it’s all about a risk formula. The chances of a catastrophic engine failure where it could be traced back to an oil issue are pretty low. But “what if….” I also do realize that it wouldn’t void the whole warranty as oil viscosity wouldn’t have anything to do with a seat heater failing.

I know this topic - like many - has been beaten to death but I was trying to attack
It from a different angle - getting a statement from the OEM.

I did talk to our Asst Sevice Manager and he says the only thing Mazda would really want if push comes to shove is documented synthetic oil changes that fall within 1 of the 2 approved severe or non-severe schedules. He said the the times he’s seen denials is where the engine is sludged beyond belief and the customer couldn’t even recall their last oil change since owning the car.
If a Stealership would go as far as checking you oil viscosity to avoid your warranty they had no intention of honoring it in the first place. My gut tells me your need to find a new dealer!

If a Stealership would go as far as checking you oil viscosity to avoid your warranty they had no intention of honoring it in the first place. My gut tells me your need to find a new dealer!

With all due respect, a dealership is not the ones that will ultimately approve/deny a warranty claim…..that decision is made by the OEM via the warranty administrator. There is nothing more a dealership would like than to have every warranty claim approved as that would equal more paid for work.

Again, my post wasn’t meant to beat a dead horse but to try to get the OEM on record one way or another; that didn’t work this time.

Personally, after talking to the Service Manager and being an employee I don’t have any real issue running a slightly different viscosity or by using an overkill brand such as HPL in that weight. The maintenance will be done here at the dealership and will be with an OEM filter so that’s good enough for me.

You work for a Mazda dealership and you used Mazda’s chat function in an attempt at “getting a statement from the OEM?”

Because the Mazda work from home chat function reps are all tribologists who can quickly offer sage advice that is 180 degrees from the owner’s manual?

Seriously, what did you expect?

Sales must be slow and you’ve got a lot of time on your hands.
Either that or you’re squirming over using HPL 5w-30 in the crankcase.

Back