Bought a new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
Originally Posted By: wtd
Nice truck. A friend of mine had a 2013 reg cab short bed 2 wheel drive Silverado with the 4.3L and recently traded it in on a same configuration 2014 except he got 4x4 and the 5.3L V8. He wasn't that happy with the 4.3L and it didn't really get better mileage than he gets with the 5.3L.

2013 4.3 V-6: 195 HP/260 ft-lbs

2014 4.3 V-6: 285 HP/305 ft-lbs

No comparison.

You are correct. This feels just as powerful, if not more than my old 1999 F-150 with the 5.4.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: Jim74
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Nice! I thought they switched to 0w20 for the new direct injected engines?

I did too, but I guess not! Also, I'm 6'5", and it is still quite a reach to get to that dipstick from the front. I haven't owned a truck in a while...
blush.gif

I started a thread a while back concerning the difficulty I had reading the dipstick on our Sierra. What about your's?

It was difficult to read. Had to try holding it in different levels of light.

Nice truck, don't get the anti V6 crowed I think they are still living in the 90's. Can't see why you need more than 300hp in a 1/2 ton anyway.

What axle ratio do you have?

For some reasons, if I was buying a 6 cyl. pick-up, I'd prefer the larger, albeit lower tech, GM V6 than Ford's or Ram's smaller 3.5 and 3.6l. Makes more sense as a truck engine.

Originally Posted By: Minou

For some reasons, if I was buying a 6 cyl. pick-up, I'd prefer the larger, albeit lower tech, GM V6 than Ford's or Ram's smaller 3.5 and 3.6l. Makes more sense as a truck engine.

When this last gen came out, all I was seeing on dealer lots was the 5.3l with a 3.08. Pretty much useless I you ask me. I'd save some $ and go for the 6 with a limited slip 3.73, if available. Should be a sweet combo with the 6AT.

Last edited:

When this last gen came out, all I was seeing on dealer lots was the 5.3l with a 3.08. Pretty much useless I you ask me. I'd save some $ and go for the 6 with a limited slip 3.73, if available. Should be a sweet combo with the 6AT.

I agree. I would much prefer the 3.73.

Nice truck. A friend of mine had a 2013 reg cab short bed 2 wheel drive Silverado with the 4.3L and recently traded it in on a same configuration 2014 except he got 4x4 and the 5.3L V8. He wasn't that happy with the 4.3L and it didn't really get better mileage than he gets with the 5.3L.

No comparison.

Wow. Power levels like that are what v-8 made a decade ago so I expect that it should be able to pull just as much as those old trucks could.
This puts v-6 engines into a whole new league. Pulling a small travel trailer should be a non issue

Originally Posted By: Clevy

No comparison.

Wow. Power levels like that are what v-8 made a decade ago so I expect that it should be able to pull just as much as those old trucks could.
This puts v-6 engines into a whole new league. Pulling a small travel trailer should be a non issue

... With the good axle ratio.

IIRC the new 6l80 has a first of 4.02:1 as opposed to the 4l60/4l65 of 3.06:1, which means as deep of a rear end is not required. I too think 3.73 is a better ratio, but not because it was in the past--I think it puts direct drive in a good spot for towing.

Back when I was trying to justify getting a Silverado I started to see how the 3.42 sorta worked. 3rd got a decent rpm, and 2nd was quite usable if a long steep hill had to be climbed.

Well, I pulled my travel trailer yesterday to see how it does, and it had plenty of power for the job. Going to try a loaded motorcycle trailer next. I'm guessing it will have no problems.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Nice truck, don't get the anti V6 crowed I think they are still living in the 90's. Can't see why you need more than 300hp in a 1/2 ton anyway.

Towing a 9,000 lb trailer.

Originally Posted By: CT8

That's 3/4 ton territory.

Don't believe the marketing, their is a big difference in dragging something around verses comfortable towing it.

Last edited:

A half-ton can tow a 9,000 pound trailer. The problem is going over the PAYLOAD figure. That should be checked. It's located inside the driver's door jam. It's a yellow and white sticker with the tire sizes on it.

I agree, 9k is 3/4 ton territory. Maybe 1ton. The rides are reputedly so civilized these days I don't see why one would use a half ton out of its element (light usage).

http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2013/comparison-test.html
Found this comparison last night. Nearly 6k towing on the Ram 3.6 and Ford 3.7. Both did ok, although arguably at their limit and perhaps not with a typical passenger payload.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our 14 Ram with the 5.7 has a nice tow setup that is rated for over 10k.

3.9 rear gears and the ZF 8 speed make it easy....

I imagine 300hp would work as well for 10k, just running a gear or two lower and a bit slower at times.
One of my great uncles used to drive trucks in the 50-60's and he remembers lots of them had much less than 200hp(especially with higher miles on them) and dragged 30-40-50k of truck and load around just fine, although slowly at times.

That's 3/4 ton territory.

Don't believe the marketing, their is a big difference in dragging something around verses comfortable towing it.

There are 1/2 ton trucks today that have more rated towing capacity than my father's 2001 F350 with the "extra heavy service" rear suspension package and the extra towing packages (oil cooler, 4.10 gears, etc) ...

Yup 2013 4.3 IRON good for 250k miles. Cost less than $18000
2014 4.3 aluminum ecotec good for less than 50k miles. Cost $39000! especially towing 9000 pounds!

Didn't GM shorter the power train warranty to 60000 miles too?

Good luck!

No comparison.

Last edited:
Aluminum engines have been around quite a while now ...

Edit: Wonder why the 4.3 specs 5w-30. Could it be from the extra timing chain running a balance shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back