Bought a new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim74
Walked in just wanting a basic work truck 4x4, but the wife liked all the fancy stuff on this one.
wink.gif

That's a nice truck.
The salesmen love it when the buyer brings the wife in to help make a purchase.

My neighbor bought the same truck a few months ago, and he's very happy. His work tools are large, but not very heavy, and he does some normal hauling on the weekend. The V6 has been up to every task.

Nice truck. A friend of mine had a 2013 reg cab short bed 2 wheel drive Silverado with the 4.3L and recently traded it in on a same configuration 2014 except he got 4x4 and the 5.3L V8. He wasn't that happy with the 4.3L and it didn't really get better mileage than he gets with the 5.3L.

Nice truck!! Almost got one before getting my Ram this weekend. The 5.3 made great power, the local dealer manager was a piece of work. Kept lying to us about the recalls. All we wanted to know was if chevy had addressed most of the issues from the 2014.

Sweet ride man!

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Nice! I thought they switched to 0w20 for the new direct injected engines?

I did too, but I guess not! Also, I'm 6'5", and it is still quite a reach to get to that dipstick from the front. I haven't owned a truck in a while...
blush.gif

Nice truck, got all the bells and whistles way far from a basic work truck. Saying it's got a V6 might be a downer but this ain't your old school 4.3L. This all new generation 4.3L puts out the same power as a GenIII 5.3L plus with the 6spd auto this truck ain't no slug. Makes my old 02 5.3L 4spd fell like an old truck the time I got to test drive one of those trucks.

Last edited:
Nice new truck you have. Hope you truly enjoy it. I wish I could have been my age right now when the "slightly used" truck pictured was brand new. As much as new cars are aggressive looking and chiseled, the older classic cars/trucks designed without computers will always look like the definition of beautiful.
Originally Posted By: HM12460
I like them both. Good job!

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Hope you plan on keeping it til the wheels fall off. I don't know much about the V6. It may have plenty of power. But resale, it's a killer.

Joe,
I paid $26,000.00 OTD for my 5.3 2011 Silverado Crew Cab equipped with the same options as the OPs and even a few more. It had a $34,000 MSRP on it. I guess my timing was right-there were $12,000.00 discounts off sticker when I bought mine.

I just had three guaranteed bids (pending inspection) from auto trader at $21,700.00 It has 47,000 miles on it. I wouldn't call that terrible resale. However, the OP may take a small hit on resale. But some potential owners will take the V6 at resale time verses the seemingly $50,000 dollar price point half-tons are moving towards.

New trucks are so expensive-resale value is pretty solid on used ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim74
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Nice! I thought they switched to 0w20 for the new direct injected engines?

I did too, but I guess not! Also, I'm 6'5", and it is still quite a reach to get to that dipstick from the front. I haven't owned a truck in a while...
blush.gif

I started a thread a while back concerning the difficulty I had reading the dipstick on our Sierra. What about your's?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Hope you plan on keeping it til the wheels fall off. I don't know much about the V6. It may have plenty of power. But resale, it's a killer.

Joe,
I paid $26,000.00 OTD for my 5.3 2011 Silverado Crew Cab equipped with the same options as the OPs and even a few more. It had a $34,000 MSRP on it. I guess my timing was right-there were $12,000.00 discounts off sticker when I bought mine.

I just had three guaranteed bids (pending inspection) from auto trader at $21,700.00 It has 47,000 miles on it. I wouldn't call that terrible resale. However, the OP may take a small hit on resale. But some potential owners will take the V6 at resale time verses the seemingly $50,000 dollar price point half-tons are moving towards.

New trucks are so expensive-resale value is pretty solid on used ones.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for proving my point. If it were the V-6, you wouldn't get nearly that kind of bid.

Nice truck. I like this generation of Silverado more than the last by quite a bit. They really have a nice feel as far as fit & finish, how the doors shut, etc. So far not a lot of problems out of them that I have seen.

V6s aren't what they used to be, and while you're not giving up much with a 5.3, you're probably not gaining much either. The LS based 4.3 is plenty capable for the 1500 platform. It's not 1998 where you had to get the 5.7 to get your 250 HP. If you NEED more power out of the truck, you need a 2500 or bigger anyway. There's nothing wrong with wanting a little more power or a V8, but the 4.3 can do plenty in this truck. I drove an F-150 EgoBoost around last week that would walk all over some big V8s while making quiet, Prius-like whispers from its turbo V6.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Nice truck. A friend of mine had a 2013 reg cab short bed 2 wheel drive Silverado with the 4.3L and recently traded it in on a same configuration 2014 except he got 4x4 and the 5.3L V8. He wasn't that happy with the 4.3L and it didn't really get better mileage than he gets with the 5.3L.

2013 4.3 V-6: 195 HP/260 ft-lbs

2014 4.3 V-6: 285 HP/305 ft-lbs

No comparison.

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
Originally Posted By: wtd

2013 4.3 V-6: 195 HP/260 ft-lbs

2014 4.3 V-6: 285 HP/305 ft-lbs

No comparison.

I totally agree with you there. No comparison. Today's 6s torch yesterday's V8s.

But it's just in people's heads, that an 8 is so much better than a 6.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I would have thought the rear seat would have more leg room.

It does have more room when my much shorter wife drives it. I am 6'5", so I put the seat back quite a bit, and also part of the reason I wanted more than a single cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back