Bottled water on track to outsell soda by 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the consumer. When I come across someone nursing a bottle, I head the other way.

Wow ...relax..take a pill. So if someone with a bottle of sugar water (soda) walks torward you do you walk the other way??

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
oh [censored], there's always someone complaining about the downside of everything.

lol..+1

Originally Posted By: horse123
I really should stop buying bottled water, but when I see a 24 pack on sale for $3 and have a use for it, sometimes it feels like I NEED to buy it even though I know it's still a rip off and clubbing baby seals.

Raises hand. We have well water but for the past 30 years we have been drinking RO water from a local source for 25 cents/gallon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
bottled water is nothing special, it is mostly 'purified' tap water and bottles add to our problems. I drink from the tap and use my own Zojirushi/Thermos to carry it in.

Yep. I don't see eye to eye with David Suzuki on a lot of things, but I do on this one. He is no fan of bottled water, reasoning that if we cannot trust what comes out of our taps, we should be raising holy heck with our municipalities.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Yep. I don't see eye to eye with David Suzuki on a lot of things, but I do on this one. He is no fan of bottled water, reasoning that if we cannot trust what comes out of our taps, we should be raising holy heck with our municipalities.

I fully trust what comes out of our tap, but while it's perfectly safe and has the right amount of fluoride in it, the 50 year old municipal pipework that it flows through to get to us makes it taste pretty bad. The filter jug works well, but have to be careful to get the filter that makes it taste ok and leaves a decent amount of the good stuff behind.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Tap water is actually better for you. It contains all the natural minerals that we need,whereas bottled drinking water has had them all removed. Spring water is the only non tap water I'll buy or drink on occasion.

Depending on where you are in the world, tap water can be horrific. A place I spent a few years had tap water that came pretty much straight from an R/O water plant, problem was they "supplemented" the water with so much calcium that a straight diet of tap water was a quick way to kidney stones.

Some other places the tap water is so un-processed that it's a quick trip to dysentery central.. it's all relative.

Bottled water certainly has its place, and it's infinitely better than a mix of artificial sweetener and phosphoric acid.
"Bottled water has them 'ALL' removed? I don't think so. Bottled water can be filtered municipal tap water, and HOW it's filtered controls the mineral content. DISTILLING is the only way to remove ALL minerals. Membrane filters will not.

Last edited:
but have to be careful to get the filter that makes it taste ok and leaves a decent amount of the good stuff behind.

If you review reputable information on the internet you will find that minerals in tap water are insignificant, unpredictable, and un-necessary. Its mostly urban legend.

If you are concerned take a multi-mineral tab periodically. You will know what you are getting. I have been drinking RO water for 30 years.

Originally Posted By: Al
but have to be careful to get the filter that makes it taste ok and leaves a decent amount of the good stuff behind.

If you review reputable information on the internet you will find that minerals in tap water are insignificant, unpredictable, and un-necessary. Its mostly urban legend.

If you are concerned take a multi-mineral tab periodically. You will know what you are getting. I have been drinking RO water for 30 years.
The anti plastic bottle crew will attack anything which comes in plastic as a means to an end. Truth means nothing, it's the "greater good" - meaning "we won".

I actually don't care about the natural minerals so much as the fluoride. My brother and I drank tap water pretty much exclusively as a kid and as a 41 year old I still do. My dentist is pretty convinced that plays a significant part in the condition of my teeth. Despite 41 years of woeful oral hygiene, neither of us have a filling.

Fluoride itself is actually required by our bodies in low doses. When consumed in high amounts, specifically the man-made fluoride that is in public drinking water, can cause problems.

This is why I drink spring bottled waters... and they taste better. Ice Mountain from Huck's.

Why would anyone drink SMART water is beyond me... it's just distilled...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the consumer. When I come across someone nursing a bottle, I head the other way.

You have, clearly, never lived somewhere that the tap water is not drinkable. I live there right now: the overpowering chlorine taste actually makes me retch.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
bottled water is nothing special, it is mostly 'purified' tap water and bottles add to our problems. I drink from the tap and use my own Zojirushi/Thermos to carry it in.

It is not that it is unsafe, just unpalatable!

I drink a lot of bottled water. It's $1.99 for a case of 24 bottles. 8.3 cents for a bottle of water is ridiculously cheap. Or I can just go buy soda for $1.69 a bottle. Hmmm, which shall I get?

The filter jug works well, but have to be careful to get the filter that makes it taste ok and leaves a decent amount of the good stuff behind.

That part I don't dispute at all. I do use a Brita type thing regularly. There's nothing wrong with tweaking to taste, but fearing what comes out of the tap or someone trusting bottled water more should trigger some sort of response.
wink.gif

Jaraxle: I agree with the unpalatability issue. This city used to be among the worst for an algae smell and taste in the water in the summer. Of course, a bit of carbon filtration and the like cleared that up. And, I still have no issue with a Brita or something similar, as I mentioned above. Heck, there are some very good reasons to even have an RO system. David Suzuki, however, had correctly pointed out how a lot of people simply didn't trust their municipal water supply.

I actually don't care about the natural minerals so much as the fluoride. My brother and I drank tap water pretty much exclusively as a kid and as a 41 year old I still do. My dentist is pretty convinced that plays a significant part in the condition of my teeth. Despite 41 years of woeful oral hygiene, neither of us have a filling.

US Dental association's own studies show a 20% reduction in caries rates over non flouridated areas (not what Sydney newpapers were publishing today), and acknowledge it as an infection, not just a sugar/tooth reaction.

Their recent advice is to halve the added concentration from 1.5PPM to 0.75ppm, and not provide it to bottle fed children...Oz is still plugging away at the old 1.5ppm rate, and we won't catch up to the US Dental Associateion's research for another 25=40 years at the rate we work.

Mass, non dose controlled medication is plain wrong IMO.

I grew up in Adelaide, got a mouth full of metal anyway...they had fluoride, we had low sweets and not much fizzy drink.

As to locally, out water supply is augmented by a coal mine, and has recently tested positive for Thallium...it's no part of the normal testing, as drinking water standards don't include thallium.

Our background fluoride is right at 0.7-0.8ppm of naturally occuring, but the geniuses are adding 1.5 on top of it. Aside, the dimwits who run the plant can scarcely stop the house smelling like an indoor pool when we shower in the morning, so I'm not positive that their 1.5ppm is within their grasp to control (They have acknowledge a half dozen exceedences, which are "unlikley" to have caused health issues...won't release the dates or the numbers).

Broken hips are on the rise...

Not a big fan of the asbestos pipes either.

But we would by bottled anyway, as the taste is aweful

Tap water in the US is far, far more regulated than bottled water, there's virtually zero regulation over bottled water.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Tap water in the US is far, far more regulated than bottled water, there's virtually zero regulation over bottled water.

Yes, but the regulations focuses on what the (tap) water contains-NOT HOW IT TASTES.

Last edited:

Let's start a toothbrush, dental floss and mouthwash fund for Brad. Please pass the hat around.

My dad has worked for the water company for years, I happily drink tap water!

We are very lucky to live in an area that is so water rich that I can freely get it at places like marina's and wash my truck with it! Half of the world would be astonished at the quality of tap water I simply use to hose the mud off my truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back