Bottled water on track to outsell soda by 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Only in America will people pay big money for "premium" water.

Twaddle. It's popular all over the westernised world.

It's a wild jungle outside our borders, the third world or places with strange people driving small cars and speaking in strange tongues. We are the only civilized society and a shining beacon of freedom.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Twaddle. It's popular all over the westernised world.

Yep, Fiji, Evian, Perrier, etc....

Bottled water is very, very common in Latin America.

pH of pure water is in the 5s iirc. And it tastes absolutely NOTHING acidic. The tds of the RO water mentioned is 1, so pretty pure. I've always laughed at people's "Smart water", and explained that the water is only smart in a business aspect, since people pay around $5/gal. Or I'd oper with "you think gas prices are outrageous? " --yes, i remember ...-- " why do your pay double the gas price for water then?"
A

Tap water is actually better for you. It contains all the natural minerals that we need,whereas bottled drinking water has had them all removed. Spring water is the only non tap water I'll buy or drink on occasion.

We usually just bring our well water along in stainless steel 750ml jugs, it tastes great as is, so no need to do anything else. I still see the odd person buying cases of pop at the grocery store, but its a fraction of how much water I see people buying.
I drink city water at work that's chilled and run through some kind of filter, its fine too.
We don't have pop in the house as a rule, which is good because I used to drink a lot as a kid. Our kids don't ask for it, even at a restaurant, they just aren't in the habit of having it.

I really should stop buying bottled water, but when I see a 24 pack on sale for $3 and have a use for it, sometimes it feels like I NEED to buy it even though I know it's still a rip off and clubbing baby seals.

My wife buys bottled water by the case and takes a few bottles with her to work every other day or so. Rest goes in my fridge in my shop.

I prefer tap water over ice myself even though the bottled water is convenient.

As for soda, I like one on occasion.....not very often though.

We buy spring water by the gallon($0.50/each) for tea/coffee and my wife finicky buys gallons of Poland Spring($1/gallon) for taste.

Our home water is high in sodium that if you have a heart condition not good for ya. It ruins the taste of coffee and tea.

I bought one of those glass Voss bottles and refill it from the filtered refrigerator water. I can't tell the difference!

On occasion at the gym I will drink from the fountain, yuck! Tastes like pool water.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Tap water is actually better for you. It contains all the natural minerals that we need,whereas bottled drinking water has had them all removed. Spring water is the only non tap water I'll buy or drink on occasion.

Depending on where you are in the world, tap water can be horrific. A place I spent a few years had tap water that came pretty much straight from an R/O water plant, problem was they "supplemented" the water with so much calcium that a straight diet of tap water was a quick way to kidney stones.

Some other places the tap water is so un-processed that it's a quick trip to dysentery central.. it's all relative.

Bottled water certainly has its place, and it's infinitely better than a mix of artificial sweetener and phosphoric acid.

In some parts of the country tap water is hardly "drinkable".

Not sure I'd drink unfiltered municipal tap water unless there is nothing else and I'm parched. Cryptosporidium, fluoride, disnfectants and any medication you can imagine is in there. I got a pretty deep well and I have the water tested once a year. I'm terrified of the brain eating amoeba that lives in some lakes. How do I know they are not already feasting on my brain?
wink.gif

This is what I do:

1. Go to Winco and buy either the 16.9 ounce Cascade tangerine or the 16.9 ounce ICE black raspberry soda.

2. Go to Walmart and buy the Grape Propel recharge packets. (they don't have them at Winco)

3. Go to purified water store and refill 12 one-gallon bottles.

4. Go home and fill up all my Cascade and ICE bottles with water and Propel mix. (1 packet per bottle)

Originally Posted By: CKN

In some parts of the country tap water is hardly "drinkable".

In many parts of America people drink well water even. My ex mother in law used to fill old milk gallon jugs with it and store in the fridge so the salt settles before drinking.

I believe it. I have some good friends that own a food truck, and they said water outsells soda and iced tea combined quite often. I think a lot of people are trying to cut back on sugar, and improve their diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back