BMW 0W12

If you get your oil change at BMW dealer, are they going to use bulk oil or bottle oil.

I'll stick w/ the recommended oil for warranty purpose.
Bulk oil?

It’s not a Ford

BMW in the UK tend to use BMW branded oil, often 0w30 LL04, as it is compatible with lots of engines, petrol or diesel

Without the opportunity to read a 2024 owners manual for a car fitted with a B58 I can’t comment on what oils the 2024 engine can take

But I would be surprised if there wasn’t a long list of oils all the way up to 5w40 that are compatible.

My car is specced for 0w20 but BMW dealers and BMW Assist use 0w30 in it.

Just done my oil change from 0w30 to 5w40.

Both oil changes had Ceratec added.

The engine does use a little oil.

Approx 1/2 litre per 10k miles

It is:
LL22FE is low-SAPS oil, and LL-01FE is high-SAPS oil.
Why there is no LL17FE option or LL04? LL17FE is closer HTHS wise, Low-SAPS. This just confirms that using thicker oil is not an issue.
If their intention was oil availability, LL01FE cannot be found anywhere but the dealership or online. LL04, on the other hand, one can get in Wal Mart.
SAPS Level for LL01FE might be middle level, not full, at least BMW oem oil. TBN is only 7.2, does not smell like full-saps

Taken from a bimmer forum - BMW 0W30 LL01FE

ezIzSE0h.png

Last edited:
SAPS Level for LL01FE might be middle level, not full, at least BMW oem oil. TBN is only 7.2, does not smell like full-saps

Taken from a bimmer forum - BMW 0W30 LL01FE

ezIzSE0h.png
That reads like LL-12FE, not LL01FE.

LL01FE allows very high SAPS. Motul had LL01FE at 1.40%.
BMW wants approved oil, not BMW OE oil. Their specification is Full SAPS. What they pack into TPT is their prerogative.

That reads like LL-12FE, not LL01FE.

LL01FE allows very high SAPS. Motul had LL01FE at 1.40%.
BMW wants approved oil, not BMW OE oil. Their specification is Full SAPS. What they pack into TPT is their prerogative.
That VOA looks like extremely watered down LL01, not sure why and how it can claim LL01FE but the picture of the bottle looks absolutely legit, so now doubt it is the one.

1710647551110.jpeg

That VOA looks like extremely watered down LL01, not sure why and how it can claim LL01FE but the picture of the bottle looks absolutely legit, so now doubt it is the one.

View attachment 208789
So you can look at a $30 spectrographic analysis and predict the future performance of the oil to the point where you call it “watered down”?

Amazing. I sure can’t do that.

So you can look at a $30 spectrographic analysis and predict the future performance of the oil to the point where you call it “watered down”?

Amazing. I sure can’t do that.
There were no predictions, the additive pack, flashpoint, TBN look weak

There were no predictions, the additive pack, flashpoint, TBN look weak
You seem to have a good understanding of this motor oil based on that VOA. What can you tell us about the base oil composition? Do you think it contains Borate Polyols and Polyamines, or Borate Esters? What type of ZDDP is it blended with? What does the Titanium Isopropoxide do?

Last edited:
Yes, from all analyses recently this oil looks mid-SAPS. Maybe BMW simply wants to harmonize additive packages between different TPT products.

Yes, from all analyses recently this oil looks mid-SAPS. Maybe BMW simply wants to harmonize additive packages between different TPT products.
Since they moved to Castrol, I don't pay attention that much on their products. They had some really stout stuff when SOPUS was blending their LL01 and LL04.

You seem to have a good understanding of this motor oil based on that VOA. What can you tell us about the base oil composition? Do you think it contains Borate Polyols and Polyamines, or Borate Esters? What type of ZDDP is it blended with? What does the Titanium Isopropoxide do?
"seem"... from where did you draw this conclusion? Did you see it in the VOA? Do you still think it is full SAPS?
Don't understand people here who see obvious things and still trying to pick up a fight... Just chill dude

No, because they have history of doing it.
But, I do give you the benefit of the doubt not knowing the difference between Low-SAPS and High-SAPS.
It’s almost as if BMW historically used to sell more diesels in their primary markets, isn’t it?

It’s almost as if BMW historically used to sell more diesels in their primary markets, isn’t it?
Except this is a North American (Castrol) blended oil for the NA market only where BMW diesels basically don't exist. LL01 and LL01FE were also never diesel standards. How is it that you are so confidently wrong about nearly everything you post on?

Except this is a North American (Castrol) blended oil for the NA market only where BMW diesels basically don't exist. LL01 and LL01FE were also never diesel standards. How is it that you are so confidently wrong about nearly everything you post on?
In Europe, BMW has sold more diesel engines than gasoline engines for only 15 years, and I am being generous.

In Europe, BMW has sold more diesel engines than gasoline engines for only 15 years, and I am being generous.
BMW has always been better at engineering and manufacturing gasoline rather than Diesel engines. Traditionally, Daimler-Benz has been better at Diesel engines. At least, that's my opinion.

"seem"... from where did you draw this conclusion? Did you see it in the VOA? Do you still think it is full SAPS?
Don't understand people here who see obvious things and still trying to pick up a fight... Just chill dude
Please explain what's "obvious".

Back