Bill Gates is Going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he's just an oportunist because Apple was "flat footed" and not ready to move forward at the time?

Gates/Microsoft has contributed greatly to the advance in personal computers just like other companies out there. Yes, you can find examples of mediocrity in Microsoft products but you can find just as many in others like Apple.

Anyone else here focusing their work on charity? My hat's off to Bill G.

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:

Gates/Microsoft has contributed greatly to the advance in personal computers just like other companies out there.

No disagreement there, MS created new markets for the high powered computers needed to run MS's ever growing bloatware.

As far as any claims to MS providing agreat operating system and advancing software. MS has bought out competitors and where that wasn't practical, given away free software to run competitors out of business. If anything, MS has slowed the development of innovative software with their defacto monopoly.

MS also does what it can to undermine industry standards.

quote:

Originally posted by JavaMan:
I guess if someone else would have took the same ideas and not been caught "flat footed" we would be complaining about someone different. But, I don't think Mr. Gates is at fault for seeing the opportunity and seizing the moment. I can't imagine any business person thinking, "I can make billions if I do this, no, don't think I will."

No two ways about it ..he's a smart man. If he was a car designer ..you would be looking at a Yugo that was in the shop more then it was out and would require you to buy a new one every few years ..and each evolution would be more of a gas hog.

So, yes, he is a genius. He delivered crap and everyone willingly ate it up. It's kinda like some of those vended soy products that are blended with beef that you get in the vending machines. Sometimes they get the spices just right and ...after you've eaten enough of it ...you're kinda taken back by real beef. You don't know any better.

He's just an American, doing what we do, just doing it better than most, and becoming very wealthy.
Mormit has a good point, the man has already given several fortunes to charities, and he's not done yet.

Mark, you mean a bit like taxation and welfare...only voluntary, and at the descretion of the unelected Gates ?

Never read so much rubbish. I started in electronics when valves were the go. Remember Anodes and Cathodes and Screens? I do. Iwas taught transistortheory and that 'holes moved'I worked for Honeywell Information Systems (HIS) one of 'The bunch' and ROM's used to pull out on wheels. Get your head around that. Remember when DEC VT100 and V220 was the standard, I sure do. Gates and Allan and co changed the world. I can do stuff today with XP I still can't get my head around. Can I do that with Linux, UNIX, well you name it as a non techo these days, no you can't. Trouble is most of you are to young to know what the past was like.

I have a computer science degree and have programmed for about 10 years. I've done work in both unix and windows environments currently working primarily in unix environment. I honestly do not understand what all the ripping on microsoft is about. From windows 2000 forward their OS software was fine. I'm not going into their charging/lis or other software. People need to face facts... if it wasn't for M$ our computer technology in the office environment and at home would not be near what it is today. I doubt very many people have the degree I do so if you don't like M$ use what you think is great and shut the **** up.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Never read so much rubbish. I started in electronics when valves were the go. Remember Anodes and Cathodes and Screens? I do. Iwas taught transistortheory and that 'holes moved'I worked for Honeywell Information Systems (HIS) one of 'The bunch' and ROM's used to pull out on wheels. Get your head around that. Remember when DEC VT100 and V220 was the standard, I sure do. Gates and Allan and co changed the world. I can do stuff today with XP I still can't get my head around. Can I do that with Linux, UNIX, well you name it as a non techo these days, no you can't. Trouble is most of you are to young to know what the past was like.

Sprintman, you seem to have made the conclusion that without Gates/Allan and Microsoft's defacto monopoly that software wouldn't have advanced. It's debatable whether it would have advanced more or less without MS, but it would have advanced...a lot.

And yes, I do remember the joys of the DC VT100 plumbed to a PDP-11. They were a major improvement over the punch cards I used before that.

quote:

Originally posted by 2Fast4U:
I have a computer science degree and have programmed for about 10 years. I've done work in both unix and windows environments currently working primarily in unix environment. I honestly do not understand what all the ripping on microsoft is about. From windows 2000 forward their OS software was fine. I'm not going into their charging/lis or other software. People need to face facts... if it wasn't for M$ our computer technology in the office environment and at home would not be near what it is today. I doubt very many people have the degree I do so if you don't like M$ use what you think is great and shut the **** up.

Yeah, you sound like a genius!
-.-- --- ..- ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. ... .... ..- - - .... . ..-. ..- -.-. -.- ..- .--.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Mark, you mean a bit like taxation and welfare...only voluntary, and at the descretion of the unelected Gates ?

What I mean is that he's doing something helpful with at least a little of his money, as opposed to most of us, who sit and complain. I'm no fan of his, but he could be worse.
tongue.gif

I worked on PDP-8 with paper tape. Honeywell Information Systems 8200's with 3/4" tape drives, hundreds of them. The ROM's pulled out on wheels. Things changed and MS was a big part of that.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
I worked on PDP-8 with paper tape. Honeywell Information Systems 8200's with 3/4" tape drives, hundreds of them. The ROM's pulled out on wheels. Things changed and MS was a big part of that.

The seminal moment in personal computing was IBM's decision to build their PC with open architecture, not Microsoft's software.

There were other software developers and neither you nor I know whether we would be better off today if MS had been less monopolistic. I suspect better if MS had spent more effort being innovative and less effort buying up competitors and giving away software to run other competitors out of business. You may suspect otherwise, but you don't know either.

quote:

Originally posted by 2Fast4U:
Thanks for the positive input Scotty.

That's his version of your positive "shut the ****up"
You just didn't see it that way
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

Zactly. I'll charge you an extra $5 on everything I sell you ..cuz I can ..and then give it away to make you think I'm a caring and selfless guy.

I'd do that in a minute.

More money-making news for Microsoft:
Exchange 2007 To Shake up messaging

Microsoft Exchange (their Email & messaging software) will "offer" the following server room infrastructure changes:

--“Before, all the roles were on the same server, but now you will have more servers.”

--"And edge servers, which can supply e-mail hygiene services such as anti-virus/spam protection, will be required to run on a dedicated server and with Active Directory Application Mode."

--“We had our routing [service] on a cluster and now it needs to go somewhere else, and that means more servers,”....“In the past, the idea was server consolidation, but not anymore. Now it is scaling out again. My footprint increases in that I need more servers and more money for licensing [Exchange and Windows].”

So Microsoft is fixin' to stuff it's cash cow even more by design. More servers, more server licensing, more $$$ out of the business' pocket at every turn. Not just on the desktop, but on the backend as well.

Time to look for alternatives. The Microsoft behemoth is getting too expensive to feed.

from that Slashdot topic thread:

(Music is Yesterday, by the Beatles)

Yesterday
All my competitors seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh I believe in yesterday
Suddenly, my head has half the hair that used to be
There's an office chair hanging over me
Oh yesterday, came sudlenly
Why Linux had to come
It wouldn't say
We did Netscape wrong