Bill Gates is Going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Bill Gates' departure the official sign that MSFT is now just a giant old company and not an innovative one?
dunno.gif

It seems to me that they've been resting on their laurels for quite a while now. I keep hoping that the growing popularity of Linux will give them a kick in the pants, but all I've heard so far is Linux-bashing from their end.

Groucho, you're right. They've stopped being innovative a while ago. Win32 code is win32 code. That came out in 1993.

For example. You'll see Microsoft, in a move to circle it's cash-cow wagons, shift the "Office" landscape from just Microsoft Office to "collaboration". This will do three things:
1) Cost businesses more money as they will need to use Microsoft's Database server (SQL) as a back-end to Sharepoint, Microsoft's server product that enables the "collaboration"
2) Make competition that's nipping on their heels (OpenOffice) start over.
3) See point #1.

They win as they will charge businesses for not only an Office license, but the Server license and the database license to run it all. So Microsoft wins.

There's really nothing all that new here. Just reinventing the wheel to keep $$$ flowing in. Real innovations are happening outside the walls of this Redmond business. Google, Yahoo, Novell, are all the ones with the great ideas. Some sell, some don't sell (read: Novell).

They're not innovative at all in terms of technology. Microsoft is really a study in great marketing, not great product.

Great statement ToyotaNSaturn "Microsoft is really a study in great marketing, not great product." I couldn't have put it better myself!

Microsoft needs to discover what Yahoo and Google have found: Give people what they want and they will come.

I hope Microsoft's new hire - Ray Ozzie will help keep Microsoft from becoming an old useless company. I mean, we all use windows so - it will effect all of us if Microsoft just slumps.

I'm really looking forward to Windows Vista - will be buying my next computer with it. Glad they are taking their time on putting this out... Better than having to do 5 billion service packs and fixes.

Several articles stated that although Bill Gates was taking a back seat he was still the man in charge. Articles were saying that even within Microsoft Gate's presense caused people to stare in pure shock - can't get work done when that happens. So, new leadership should help get things done (Ray Ozzie).

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:

I hope Microsoft's new hire - Ray Ozzie will help keep Microsoft from becoming an old useless company. I mean, we all use windows so - it will effect all of us if Microsoft just slumps.

I believe there are some BITOGers that rarely if ever use Windows. I'm not using Windows this morning, although I do most of the time.

I think XP is going to be my last Microsoft OS.

XS650 - "Is that an implied connection between choice of keyboard arrangement and OS?"

No offense meant if taken.
tongue.gif
I am very interested in linux and use OpenOffice, FireFox, Thunderbird, so...
grin.gif

Reason why I said that is because I have a co-worker who is a linux guy (has several linux penguins on his desk, pictures of linux penguin burning windows over a campfire, etc...) who is learning the DVORAK keyboard. Being a serious typer myself, type 175wpm according to Mavis Beacon, so my co-worker and I often chat about the good ole IBM keyboards
grin.gif
. I'd probably use DVORAK it if I wasn't as fast on qwerty.

So what's the advantage to a Dvorak keyboard? More efficient letter placement? Does it simply have DVORAK across the top row instead of QWERTY?
grin.gif

I think that's the deal, you can type faster on the Dvorak keyboard. Typewriters with that arrangement often got jammed because the mechanical action couldn't keep up with the typists fingers.

The QWERTY keyboard addresses that issue, by slowing down the typist.

When I was fairly young, we had a little trouble with local vs. long distance phone service and whatnot. It was a big hassle to get the two companies to communicate and just to get all the information we needed to make things right. At the end, with our phone working properly again, mom said, "At least when it was a monopoly everything worked."

For all the disadvantages of M$, there are advantages to having such a de facto universal standard. For home use with all the ease of making toast, I have to admit that I like XP.

A Dvorak keyboard is arranged such that the letters used most often are closest to the 'rest position' for your hands. Less motion, less injury, more efficient. At this point, I can't imagine learning Dvorak, though...qwerty feels like it's hard-wired in my head now.

I hope Gates has planned his retirement. You have to be very careful when you retire. His great-great-great-great-great-great-great grand children with have a tough job spending it fast enough to keep if from growing out of control.

Good luck to him.

If you can start something like microsponge, and eventually convince people that they need to shell out heaps to buy the cutting edge in mediocrity, you too could retire the richest guy in the universe.

True, lot of my co-workers are linux only people. For those people, what happens to Windows won't bother them
grin.gif
. For me, still using the QWERTY keyboard and not the DEVORAK? one - I'm pretty dependent on Windows
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
True, lot of my co-workers are linux only people. For those people, what happens to Windows won't bother them
grin.gif
. For me, still using the QWERTY keyboard and not the DEVORAK? one - I'm pretty dependent on Windows
frown.gif

Is that an implied connection between choice of keyboard arrangement and OS?

It's DVORAK, not that it matters. The most important thing I learned in high school typing class was that most of the girls were hunt'n peckers.

I only use WinDoze when I HAVE TO
95% Mac, sometimes Linux.

M$ is a sinking ship - investors can't possibly continue getting the insane returns they are used to and M$ has NEVER innovated - only fed off of the virtual "standards" that nutless IT folks get locked into.

I'll take my MacBook Pro any day.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Good luck to him.

If you can start something like microsponge, and eventually convince people that they need to shell out heaps to buy the cutting edge in mediocrity, you too could retire the richest guy in the universe.

When asked "why did MS come out with Win95?" someone said, "so that consumer demand for hardware improvements would allow the marketing of NT since there would be machines to run it on."

I thought about that for a bit (obviously a while back).

Bill started with a millon dollars from his mommie, and sold a license to IBM for MS-DOS. He then returned home and bough MS-DOS from Seattle Microwave. I think he got the buy it sell it backwards, but it worked.

I have zero respect for Billy G.
He' done NOTHING innovative whatsoever in the PC world, and in fact has made a lucrative living off of (as was said) mediocrity.

Scott

I suppose Mr. Gates has done something right. He and his company developed and marketed an operating system that, to my limited knowledge, has little rival. I really wished someone else would develop and market something better. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to better performance and competition to decrease the price.

No, Java, he was an oportunist that seized the moment and beat someone else to the punch. He caught Apple flat footed and ran with the bacon ..and didn't look back.

He's produced more losers that people spent more money on then anyone else. In the process he got a population to willing enslave themselves to the MS yoke of perpetual tribute.

But trust him. He did it for our own good.

I guess if someone else would have took the same ideas and not been caught "flat footed" we would be complaining about someone different. But, I don't think Mr. Gates is at fault for seeing the opportunity and seizing the moment. I can't imagine any business person thinking, "I can make billions if I do this, no, don't think I will."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back