Better FE with 10-30 than 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
There are SO many variables in real world fuel economy testing that it is just about impossible to do. Seriously. You can try as hard as you want but there are just too many variables and too many things that you cannot control. It is hard to even repeat fuel economy testing on the EPA test on emission rolls inside a building where there is no wind and the temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. is all controlled. For the kind of difference you would be looking for with something like acetone in the fuel it is pointless to even consider real world fuel economy testing. You just cannot find it.

The OP desperately wants to try 10W-30, but the oil cap says 5W-30. He's looking for some reassurance to overcome his guilt of going against the manufacturer's recommendations. Motor oil psychology.
grin2.gif

10w-30 is probably a good weight for hot SE Texas. The mixed oil is potentially now a 6w-30. Not likely that has made any difference in FE...especially since your oil spends a majority of its time as a 30 grade...and not a 5 grade.

The oil had nothing to do with it. The change was due to the changeability and the unpredictability of the fuel blends. The alcohol and the amount of it in the gas these days has a FAR greater effect on fuel mileage than most people realize. This is despite thechnology's ability to compensate for it within the automobile and it's enormously advanced electronic engine monitoring and correction capabilities.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
The add pack and TBN did magic. You can't deny the power of old school *and* new school additive package and overall formulation synergy.

OK, sure!

Only the 10w30 version of PYB provides this outstanding performance in my testing...PHM 10w30 is pretty good as well. Their syn products aren't that good. Just use PYB 10w30 and be done.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Only the 10w30 version of PYB provides this outstanding performance in my testing...PHM 10w30 is pretty good as well. Their syn products aren't that good. Just use PYB 10w30 and be done.

I would like more information on this. Can you provide me some links on here or elsewhere?

I would like more information on this. Can you provide me some links on here or elsewhere?

Just take the guy's word for it. It's exactly what you want to hear so run with it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
PYB 10w30 is fine too.

It is awesome oil. Also, how do we decide between PYB 10-30 and the full synthetics PEnnzoils that are also 10-30?

That would be dictated by OCI, the synthetic can run more miles between changes due to the higher quality base oils and more robust additive pack. Something like 5k on PYB or 8k+ on PP/PU.

The add pack and TBN did magic. You can't deny the power of old school *and* new school additive package and overall formulation synergy.
Hurry and contact Pennzoil and tell them their multi-billion dollar R&D labs have it all wrong and that your magic elixir is the be-all end-all to PCMO. Please post their response on this thread.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Hurry and contact Pennzoil and tell them their multi-billion dollar R&D labs have it all wrong and that your magic elixir is the be-all end-all to PCMO. Please post their response on this thread.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

A better idea: load up on GM stock and then tell them the 10w-30 mix strategy. They'll save tens of billions of dollars on R&D that would otherwise be spent to meet new CAFE standards. Ride the share price up and enjoy higher dividends, too.

Originally Posted By: Lex94

http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil10W30.html

Guys, I wouldn't have believed it unless I just saw it unfold and and bloom this past few weeks. I'm on (and been using 5w weight to the exclusion of 10w FOREVER) a 5w-30 fill and getting no better then about 17.xx mpg. Ever since I topped off with 10-30 PYB, that mileage has creeped up to about 19.1 mpg!

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Originally Posted By: Mobil
Low viscosity, advanced full synthetic formula

Helps increase engine efficiency and improve fuel economy, based on 0.2-2.3 percent potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current motor oil viscosity.

17Mpg 0.2-2.3% improvement = 17.034-17.39Mpg and that's going to a DIFFERENT grade of oil designed to increase fuel economy.

You are claiming roughly a 12% fuel economy gain on the SAME grade simply by adding an oil with a slightly inferior winter rating.

This is called "junk science" and has absolutely ZERO value.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
10w-30 is probably a good weight for hot SE Texas. The mixed oil is potentially now a 6w-30. Not likely that has made any difference in FE...especially since your oil spends a majority of its time as a 30 grade...and not a 5 grade.

No, it is probably a 5w-30 still. There's no 6W winter rating.

18.gif
18.gif

Horse heart rate= 0
Horse BP= 0/0
Horse 12 led EkG= ------
Horse respirations= 0

This horse is clinically dead. Load it up with the tractor
smile.gif

All of y'all are right. Ain't no way this formulation does improve fuel economy by 12%.
This is fun reading though.

Ohh and by the way 2015 PSD you are a great guy to have on here. That was AWESOME what you did for BlueOvalFitter. Very glad that you are on here. Along with others too.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back