Not open for further replies.
German Castrol 0W-30
Mobil 1 0W-40
Rotella T6 5W-40
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
Redline, any grade

...are some good ideas, to start.

Originally Posted By: jeeprnovru
and also why are some engines sludge monsters and others not?
what makes a sludge monster?

Good Question, what makes a sludge monster is when you extend your OCI's, highway driving, maybe you can extend your OCI's.

Short trip driving you cannot extend your OCI's, now there were certain engines that had very small oil return holes in the cylinder heads, the people that extended there OCI's did have problems, the ones that did not seemed to have less problems.

There were people who followed what was written in there owner's manual as far as OCI's and they still had sludge, maybe they did short trip driving, maybe there thermostat was stuck open, maybe there engine did not get up to temp to burn any junk off.

We do have a member that had a relative that had a known Toyota Sludger, she did get a notice from Toyota, her engine was spotless, she did do short trip driving, this member was wise enough to put in a certain oil additive that kept this engine spotless, this additive is called MMO.

If anyone has doubts, then I can go and look for his post.

Its the VW 1.8T 200hp 207ft lbs tq 11 lbs boost...... (AWP engine code)

hasnt sludged on me but i hear its famous for this....

had it for a month or more and changed the oil as soon as i got the car (Royal Purple 5-30) and i usualy use K&N performance gold filters but no one sticks the one i need (HP-2005) so i used a Bosch.....it seems to like the RP oil better than the dino that the PO jiffy lubed into the poor baby!

Last edited:
Depending on the grade specified for your vehicle, I would try to locate an oil that meets the HTO-06 spec. Even though that spec is specific to Honda/Acura, it does lend credence to the oils' ability to survive in the hot environment of the turbo. I know that Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra 5w-30 and Mobil 1 5W-30 meet this spec.

Its the VW 1.8T 200hp 207ft lbs tq 11 lbs boost...... ()

hasnt sludged on me but i hear its famous for this....

had it for a month or more and changed the oil as soon as i got the car (Royal Purple 5-30) and i usualy use K&N performance gold filters but no one sticks the one i need (HP-2005) so i used a Bosch.....it seems to like the RP oil better than the dino that the PO jiffy lubed into the poor baby!

the transverse 1.8T is not a sludge monster.

The longitudinal 1.8T is the sluge monster due to the reduced oil pan capacity (Audi A4 & VW Passat).

Many of the transverse people use the larger filter that is required on the longitudinal 1.8T since the sludge fiasco, Mann W 940/25

Anyway... Mobil 1 0w40 is a solid oil for that engine. Also, HDEO 5w40's such as Shell Rotella T6 is a good choice as well

Last edited:
Marvel Mystery eh???

MMO+RP????

i use MMO+ATF as an after run oil for my two strokes....
RP would be fine,but I would skip the MMO!!!

oh! well i was just reading the "oil emergency" post about the guy with the BMW and it got me thinking...am i using the right weight??? i live in a rural area and the APs here mostly stock 5-30, 10-30, 10-40, and rotella....im using royal purple 5-30...is this heavy enough? I really drive my cars to there full potential and im a performance nut. (lots of redline shifts and WOT)

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
and also why are some engines sludge monsters and others not?
what makes a sludge monster?

Good Question, what makes a sludge monster is when you extend your OCI's, highway driving, maybe you can extend your OCI's.

Awhile back I spoke with someone on the ASKMOBIL line who (suprisingly) seemed to know what he was talking about. He said that the design problem for most sludge prone engines is excessive temperature variation from one part of the engine to another. He claimed that engine designers had raised the temp at the cylinder head for many eninges in the 90s for pollution control and that this lead to temperature variations of 80 to 130 degrees F from one part of the engine to another. He claimed that the contant heating and cooling of the oil as it circulated, particularly on short trips, was responsible for the tendency to sludge.

1.8T???? Id run M1 0w-40 and a good filter. Helped a friend with the changes and when he got rid of it at 180k it still was spotless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back