Best oil filter alternative to Purolator for $5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I was at Walmart yesterday and looked at the extra guard 9688 and the TG9688. Everything but the anti-drain back valve looked the same. The tube and media, looking in the hole. I shined a light in there and really couldn't tell much difference. Is the silicone anti-drain back the only difference? It looks good for about $6.

I assume the TG would have a larger amount of a more efficient synthetic blend media. Buy both, cut them open and post them up!

I only have experience with the XG9688. My moms Elantra seems to like them and I run them 2x.

TG has silicone ADBV as noted, and it has more glass (synthetic) fibers blended into the cellulose media than the lower ExtraGuard. TG has better media, although the ExtraGuard still has at least some glass fibers blended in, just not as high a percentage. (Most oil filters have exactly NO glass fibers in their media.)

Yes. To add to the nitty gritty details, the TG will also have a slightly better paint job able to withstand corrosives that it may be exposed to on a longer 10k OCI. (That said, the ultra has the sturdiest paint job of the main 3.)

Ah, OK. Makes sense. I may take you guys up on that. I'll buy one of each and cut them open. Thanks for the replys.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
fram ultra is an expensive oil filter but so far it looks good to me although at almost $9.00 i will use it for two oci's

"Expensive"? Pssh...it is an entry level priced synthetic filter.

$9.00 Is a lot for a filter when at my shop we used to pay under $2.00 for a group 7
Granted not synthetic media but not $9.00 either. And they have worked for over 25 years on most of the engines we rebuild. Like i said i will run it two oci's to make up for the price. The average Joe is going to go for the cheapest filter he sees.

So far i like the ultra..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Like i said i will run it two oci's to make up for the price. The average Joe is going to go for the cheapest filter he sees.

So far i like the ultra..

Example of 2 x 6,000 OCIs on a clean engine. I did 6,000 OCIs because I was running non-synthetic. The filter easily went 12K since it's rated for 15K.

Link Here

Why would you run an oil filter for two OCIs? That is nonsense. Oil filters are cheap. Take it off, throw it away, swap it out and go back to better filtration. I dont buy into that bunk that the older a filter gets the "better" it filters.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Why would you run an oil filter for two OCIs? That is nonsense. Oil filters are cheap. Take it off, throw it away, swap it out and go back to better filtration. I dont buy into that bunk that the older a filter gets the "better" it filters.

Because on a filter like the Ultra that has high efficiency it doesn't make sense to use it for less than 10 or 12K miles, so it got ran twice.

If I was using a cheap filter, then yes it would get changed with each oil change. But the Ultra is easily up for 2X 6K OCIs. And running it 2X 6K OCIs is cheaper than running 2 cheaper filter ... which you can't really find that are the same efficiency as the Ultra anyway. IMO, it's a win-win.

What you consider "bunk" is really just your lack of knowing what the facts are.
grin.gif

Common sense dictates that new filters have higher filtration rates than old ones. Thats why we change them. Get with the program Z06, that is a rookie mistake.

And remember, you could do a lot of things, doesn't mean that you should though eh?

Last edited:
^^^ I do what I do ... you do what you do, which I don't care about, because I only care about the things I do.
whistle.gif

BTW, you best bone up on filtration some and "get with the program" ... just sayin'.
grin.gif

Take it off, throw it away, swap it out and go back to better filtration.

Is that the Purolator fix for their tears? I guess we can take it to the bank coming from their spokesperson.

Im not their spokesperson, just an everyday weekend mechanic that enjoys their products. The only paid shill around here is Motorking (and possibly Z06)
smirk.gif

Last edited:
He seems to really enjoy product that fail. LOL
wink.gif

I could use some extra cash, but seems Fram isn't paying for the free publicity.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
He enjoys product that fail. LOL
wink.gif

You need to take that back. Have you E V E R seen me with a failed filter?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
He enjoys product that fail. LOL
wink.gif

You need to take that back. Have you E V E R seen me with a failed filter?
confused.gif

Your turn will eventually happen, and I'm taking your word that if you cut one open and find tears you'll report it here with photos ... right?

there are a number of engine manufactures that say run an oil filter 2 oci's...
I run mine 2 oci's because i dont like the dry starts when changing the oil filters.

I don't consider either of them a shill motorking says he works for fram and seems to be pretty to the point and truthful as far as i can see.

I think there are quite a few of us on the forum that change our filters every other oil change. I run a Fram Ultra for 10K and change the oil at 5K. Prior to Fram Ultra's, I ran Toyota OEM filters. I have several oil analysis reports that show there is no issue. Will soon hit 200K on our RX330 ... as always, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back