Best Motor Oil & Oil Filter for a 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on my third Toyota hybrid. Drove the 04 Prius from 06 till last week when it died (see note, below). I drove an 09 Camry for a couple years, during which my son "leased" the 04 Prius. I took the Prius back 4-5 years ago when daughter got the Camry.

Since the beginning, with the first Prius, I've kept a Scangauge II hooked into the OBD port. It's on the new Prius' dash right now, already revealing some of the car's secrets. ......‹...Ž The SG-II is a very cool and useful device. It's ability to display -- and reset -- codes is fully worth the price.

From observing the SG (and a couple long-ago super clean UOAs), I've come to believe the only threat these engines pose to the oil is that they rarely fully warm up. During in town driving, coolant temp will run 135-165, rarely more! The 18 is almost the same as the 04, with the 18 maybe a tad higher (just a back to back impression). The 04 and the Camry would occasionally hit 200 on really hot days if driven a long time, or on long hot highway drives (80-85mph). Usual highway temp is 190. I sometimes switch that slot to another variable since an unchanging 190 gets boring......‹

With the cool running nature in mind, I'd have no concern using the 0w-16. Unless something catastrophic is happening, it's hard to imagine your engine getting too hot for this oil. And with what I can recall from old UOA, the oil didn't seem to suffer from the low temps (no water, acidity, or undue additive depletion). Filter? Toyota or M1. Try a UOA with particle counts. It will be very clean. Probably so with ANY filter.

Enjoy the Avalon! Our 07 is still great. Only issue -- compared to a hybrid, it's a total gas hog! ...œ

Note: I declared the old Prius done when heavy damage from a severe brake overheat would have cost 4x cash value of car to fix! It wasn't easy to decide, especially since I'd just days before changed the oil & filter. Kiss four quarts of clean, fresh Mobil-1 EP goodbye... ...¡. Ironically perhaps, the hybrid system was running flawlessly at 200k miles. Oh well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ekpolk
I'm on my third Toyota hybrid. Drove the 04 Prius from 06 till last week when it died (see note, below). I drove an 09 Camry for a couple years, during which my son "leased" the 04 Prius. I took the Prius back 4-5 years ago when daughter got the Camry.

Since the beginning, with the first Prius, I've kept a Scangauge II hooked into the OBD port. It's on the new Prius' dash right now, already revealing some of the car's secrets. ......‹...Ž The SG-II is a very cool and useful device. It's ability to display -- and reset -- codes is fully worth the price.

From observing the SG (and a couple long-ago super clean UOAs), I've come to believe the only threat these engines pose to the oil is that they rarely fully warm up. During in town driving, coolant temp will run 135-165, rarely more! The 18 is almost the same as the 04, with the 18 maybe a tad higher (just a back to back impression). The 04 and the Camry would occasionally hit 200 on really hot days if driven a long time, or on long hot highway drives (80-85mph). Usual highway temp is 190. I sometimes switch that slot to another variable since an unchanging 190 gets boring......‹

With the cool running nature in mind, I'd have no concern using the 0w-16. Unless something catastrophic is happening, it's hard to imagine your engine getting too hot for this oil. And with what I can recall from old UOA, the oil didn't seem to suffer from the low temps (no water, acidity, or undue additive depletion). Filter? Toyota or M1. Try a UOA with particle counts. It will be very clean. Probably so with ANY filter.

Enjoy the Avalon! Our 07 is still great. Only issue -- compared to a hybrid, it's a total gas hog! ...œ

Note: I declared the old Prius done when heavy damage from a severe brake overheat would have cost 4x cash value of car to fix! It wasn't easy to decide, especially since I'd just days before changed the oil & filter. Kiss four quarts of clean, fresh Mobil-1 EP goodbye... ...¡. Ironically perhaps, the hybrid system was running flawlessly at 200k miles. Oh well...

Ekpolk, Thanks for the detailed advice and explanation of your advise.

I had slight concerns with 0W-16 oil, but from your observations, knowing that Toyota has been using it in Japan for over 10 years, and a lot of online research, I don't think that it will be a problem. I will be using 0W-16.

My main questions to BITOG were meant to be what are the best motor oil brands and oil filter brands of the available 0W-16 oils and oil filters for the 2019 Avalon Hybrid.

I have mostly been using Mobil 1 motor oil in my Ford and Infiniti vehicles in the past and will probably go with Mobil 1 AFE motor oil and a Toyota TRD oil filter.

Thanks for your service to our country.

...you're welcome. It was a privilege to serve. The decades went by in an eyeblink!

Anyway, it sounds like you're going to enjoy that Avalon for as long as you want to. Any proper vis M1 and either Toyota or any form of Champ Labs filter, and you can hardly go wrong.

Incidentally, I'm debating whether to stay with the AFE or go with the EP which I used in the old Prius at the longer OCI intervals. Tantalizingly (to me anyway...) the 04 actually consumed some of the AFE, whereas it did not consume EP. 0w-30 vs 5w-30? A Nowack difference? Shoot, maybe I didn't torque the drain plug fully on the AFE change. Who knows. I'm starting a new "experiment"/experience now. We'll see how it goes. If you see any consumption on the AFE on your car (you probably won't), you might consider trying the EP. It comes in 0w-20 now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back