Best 9mm for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned the Taurus PT-92 in an earlier post. What are your thoughts on this Brazilian made Baretta clone?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I mentioned the Taurus PT-92 in an earlier post. What are your thoughts on this Brazilian made Baretta clone?

Not a bad gun but their Customer service stinks (and I'm being nice)

And this is from someone who has a "few" Taurus weapons. If you get one, make sure its right before you buy it (IE.. Rent it and put through 200-300 rounds at the range)

Bill

Originally Posted By: pbm

I don't have that exact one, but I have a PT-917C, which is the "compact" frame version of the PT-92, and I have a PT-101P, which is the full size in 40 S&W with adjustable sights. I also have an Italian Beretta 92FS for comparison.

The Taurus's (Tauri?) are not quite a clone, as they have a rail, and have their safety/decocker on the frame, which I prefer compared to the 92FS which has its decocker on the slide. The Taurus are not quite as nicely finished and fitted as the Beretta, but still feel very much like a quality piece. I think the rail detracts from the otherwise clean and elegant lines of the guns. The PT-917C shoots great as does the 92FS; I have not had the opportunity to shoot the PT-101P.

Academy frequently runs the PT-101P on sale for $299 which is quite a deal, imo. They charge $449 or so for the PT-917C and I think the PT-92 is $429 which is not a whole lot less than the Beretta.

I like all of them, so if the Taurus is the one that best suits you, I would go for it. Based on the two I have, I don't see quality as an issue to be overly concerned about. I don't own any other Tauri, so can't comment on them.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Photos of the Hi power please!
48.gif
(in another thread so we don't hijack this one)

Bill, I don't know how to post pics, but if you want to PM me your e mail address, I will be happy to supply some.

Most used guns around here are also priced so close to a new gun there's no point in fooling with them, I just got really lucky on this one.

Originally Posted By: Win

48.gif

Bill, I don't know how to post pics, but if you want to PM me your e mail address, I will be happy to supply some.

Most used guns around here are also priced so close to a new gun there's no point in fooling with them, I just got really lucky on this one.

PM Sent!

Stoeger Cougar is a good gun. I carry one in 40 S&W I got through CDNN a couple years back for 299 new.

Colonel Jeff Cooper said the CZ75 was "The best combat 9mm made". I tend to agree with him. On that note the CZ75 clones like the EAA Witness and the Jericho/Baby Eagle pistols based on the CZ design are also awesome.

It's interesting how the beautifully designed Browning Hi Power and CZ-75 appear to be related, but they're apparently not:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Browning and CZ.htm

Going back to aquarius' request for the smallest possible 9mm semi-auto handgun, I personally don't recommend handguns in major calibers where you can't fit all four fingers on the grip (grip extensions attached to the magazine don't count). It probably puts me in the minority crowd, but I like a minimum 4" barrel to get a decent sight radius and bullet velocity.

Yeah the CZ75 was probably inspired by the older Hi Power. It seems like the Czechs really took the design, blended it with ideas from the Walther pistols (DA/SA) and the Sig 210/Mas 35 French Service pistol (Slide riding in frame) and then gave it better ergonomics.

What I always hated about the Hi Power was the mag safety, and the horrible trigger most come with out of the box. Browning and his protege had to work around previous patents and it resulted in a trigger that was really heavy and coarse for a SAO gun.

Originally Posted By: Win

48.gif

Started a new thread with Win's new HP. BEAUTIFUL!!
20.gif

See it here.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yeah the CZ75 was probably inspired by the older Hi Power. It seems like the Czechs really took the design, blended it with ideas from the Walther pistols (DA/SA) and the Sig 210/Mas 35 French Service pistol (Slide riding in frame) and then gave it better ergonomics.

What I always hated about the Hi Power was the mag safety, and the horrible trigger most come with out of the box. Browning and his protege had to work around previous patents and it resulted in a trigger that was really heavy and coarse for a SAO gun.

I have no issue when somebody takes a prior design and improves it (as long as they give credit). A good example was when the Israelis turned the AK-47 into the Galil.

Ah, I didn't know Browning had to avoid previous patents in designing the Hi Power. That explains a lot about the trigger, since he was a brilliant designer.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Picking a gun is like picking a girl, you have to go to the gun shop and look and touch.

My gun shop doesn't carry girls.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Picking a gun is like picking a girl, you have to go to the gun shop and look and touch.

My gun shop doesn't carry girls.

You have been going to the wrong gun shop!!!

If money is there Five-seveN is highly recommended. Although it is not 9mm.

And my girl brings in crowds when we stop by a gun shop...

i am VERY interested in the new Ruger SC9 compact. it has double recoil springs.. very very nice gun.. i am tempted to trade my G19 in for it. TEMPTED! LOL.... i dunno though, love my glock..

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
i am VERY interested in the new Ruger SC9 compact. it has double recoil springs.. very very nice gun.. i am tempted to trade my G19 in for it. TEMPTED! LOL.... i dunno though, love my glock..

It's REAL nice. Really. I've owned Glocks (excellent weapon) own S&W M&P (for me a slighty better Glock) and shot pretty well everything else.

The SR9C (again for me) blows them away for trigger and value. Plus I love the normal size grip (which feels better than anything from Glock and is close to M&P) so you have 18 rounds at home and then 10 rounds when you are carrying.

Go rent one and report back. I'll bet that you will like it.
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

It's REAL nice. Really. I've owned Glocks (excellent weapon) own S&W M&P (for me a slighty better Glock) and shot pretty well everything else.

The SR9C (again for me) blows them away for trigger and value. Plus I love the normal size grip (which feels better than anything from Glock and is close to M&P) so you have 18 rounds at home and then 10 rounds when you are carrying.

Go rent one and report back. I'll bet that you will like it.
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

i have heard nothing but great things about it. i am calling around to check prices. 399black and 420 stainless.. great price!!! tempted to trade my G19 in for it.

will an avg size tactical light fit the rail? the Tac light i have for my glock seems to be for full size guns. my glock and light are about 5-6yrs old

Last edited:

i have heard nothing but great things about it. i am calling around to check prices. 399black and 420 stainless.. great price!!! tempted to trade my G19 in for it.

will an avg size tactical light fit the rail? the Tac light i have for my glock seems to be for full size guns. my glock and light are about 5-6yrs old

I doubt it. My full size Streamlight (a TLR-1 LED I think is the model) which I have mounted on my P345 house gun is too big for the SR9C (I did try).

The newer ones that use side by side batteries or button cells would work.

I get most of my stuff off of Gun Genie and have them overnight it to the local gun shop. But they are out of Sr9Cs since they are so hot.

Shoot one before buying. What I love you may hate! (plus I don't want to ever have someone follow my advice and then be disappointed. Esp with something so personal as a firearm)

Bill

I doubt it. My full size Streamlight (a TLR-1 LED I think is the model) which I have mounted on my P345 house gun is too big for the SR9C (I did try).

The newer ones that use side by side batteries or button cells would work.

I get most of my stuff off of Gun Genie and have them overnight it to the local gun shop. But they are out of Sr9Cs since they are so hot.

Shoot one before buying. What I love you may hate! (plus I don't want to ever have someone follow my advice and then be disappointed. Esp with something so personal as a firearm)

Bill

i have shot its big brother and loved it.. i have no doubts i would love this one too... of course ill have to grope it first lol.. how much did the smaller tac lights cost ya?

I have not priced them yet. I saw one at the Gun Shop (it was one that used smaller battery 3 watt LED) and it was right around $100 if I recall correctly.

Since I have a tac light on my house gun that's enough for me. If I did not have the one on the P345 then I'd prob get one for the SR9C and take it off when carrying concealed.

The difference between the SR9 (that I shot) and SR9C is large! They (Ruger) have said that all the new SR9 will be getting the new trigger.

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back