Best 5w30 Dino For Cold Starts In -10 Degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I would move south. It was 18 here this morning, the coldest I remember in 25 years of living in central VA. I grew up in WV where below zero was not unheard of. I still don't know how/why I always went outside in that bitter cold
smile.gif

Oh come on now, no fun in that! -23C here this morning, before the wind chill.

We had you beat by one degree, -24C
grin.gif
Mind you, I can't brag, as the car didn't start, LOL

Of course old reliable did.......

I would move south. It was 18 here this morning, the coldest I remember in 25 years of living in central VA. I grew up in WV where below zero was not unheard of. I still don't know how/why I always went outside in that bitter cold
smile.gif

-38 here. This is the first time this winter my hemi turned over and sounded laboured.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
smile.gif

-38 here. This is the first time this winter my hemi turned over and sounded laboured.

Now THAT is cold!
crazy2.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smile.gif

Now THAT is cold!
crazy2.gif

grin.gif

When the exhaust hangs in the air,doesn't rise,and blocks your view of the signal lights like a fog,you know your in the arctic,er I mean the prairies. My exhaust hangs in the air and stays at ground level for about 60 feet,until other cars drive through it.
I drove for 20 minutes,my engine temp gauge got up to its normal level. I stopped to grab a coffee letting the truck idle. I was inside the Macs store for roughly 3 minutes. When I got back in the truck the temp gauge had dropped from center of the dummy gauge to 1/4,in 3 minutes of being stopped idling.
At these temps my biggest concern is fuel dilution of the oil. Truck is equipped with an oil cooler which I think compounds the issue. Even a highway run really doesn't help since at 60mph its only spinning at around 1700rpm.
I suppose I could drive around in 2nd gear,not like I get much better than 10mpg city anyways.
I pulled the dipstick this morning with the truck running just to get a read of oil temp and after 30 minutes of driving the oil was warm to the touch,not hot.
I really like the AFE I've got in the sump. Starting this morning was impressive,since I had to boost my brothers 2010 chev,but fuel intrusion is starting to concern me.
I might be making a big deal over nothing though however the way I'm accumulating miles ill be due for an oil change in a couple weeks. I think I'm going to got with the AFE again but a couple of quarts of the mighty Mobil 1 0w-40 may also get thrown in the mix to help viscosity due to the fuel intrusion.
Sorry for the thread jack

Last edited:
Do a UOA to see what the fuel percentage really is. I recommend Toromont CAT, as they are probably quite accessible to you.

Do a UOA to see what the fuel percentage really is. I recommend Toromont CAT, as they are probably quite accessible to you.

That's where we send our samples for our forklift for warranty purposes. I think I'll hitch a sample from my truck when Kramer comes next week to sample again.
My useage isn't normal. I may have to track oil changes according to hours on engine and litres of fuel consumed vs mileage.
Thanks Overkill. Good idea

I use QSUD in my Corolla-good syn. at a good price
VML in my rav-also good product-has slowed the oil consumption.
Both work fine in our winters as it was -25 here yesterday

That's where we send our samples for our forklift for warranty purposes. I think I'll hitch a sample from my truck when Kramer comes next week to sample again.
My useage isn't normal. I may have to track oil changes according to hours on engine and litres of fuel consumed vs mileage.
Thanks Overkill. Good idea

You are quite welcome! Certainly beats guessing
wink.gif

My saturn started like it was mid summer at -1'F on valvoline nextgen green bottle 5w30.

In the past, it's started with a little sadness at -16'F, but it's the power steering whine that really lets you know it hates the cold.

With your corolla, its gear reduction starter, and any halfway decent battery, you should be good to -10'F with a healthy cushion.

Why dont you guys block off half the radiator with card board when its that cold? It actually helps....just dont block the whole thing
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Why dont you guys block off half the radiator with card board when its that cold? It actually helps....just dont block the whole thing
lol.gif

When a cold snap hit us around Christmas I put cardboard in front of both rads and the oil cooler,right up against them. The engine still never heated up over halfway on the dummy gauge. I figured it would get at least slightly warmer and it didn't.
Says a lot about the cooling system on these hemis. I don't recommend doing that though. I pulled the cardboard off once temps got a bit warmer again.
During that cold snap I couldn't get the heater to even blow heat at idle.
Brrrrrrrr

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: Jocephus
Valvoline Maxlife has a -45C pour point, and might help the OP's problem with leaking in a 200k mile car

That's pretty fantastic. Good point about helping with the leaking too. I think that's a very good recommendation.
I would go with the Valvoline Maxlife.

Max Life is good for about anything, Amazon has a deal right now for 5w30, 6 quarts for $19.18 with subscribe and save.

Otherwise Trop Artic is good.

lol.gif

When a cold snap hit us around Christmas I put cardboard in front of both rads and the oil cooler,right up against them. The engine still never heated up over halfway on the dummy gauge. I figured it would get at least slightly warmer and it didn't.
Says a lot about the cooling system on these hemis. I don't recommend doing that though. I pulled the cardboard off once temps got a bit warmer again.
Brrrrrrrr

Seems like the thermostat should have prevented most of this?

If you can get it I think Petro-Canada Supreme would be your best bet, this has the best CCS & MRV numbers out of the three.

Agreed. Mobil Super 1000's cold numbers aren't that impressive, despite the claim it's engineered with Canadian winters in mind. Which Canadian winters? Vancouver's?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
lol.gif

Brrrrrrrr

Seems like the thermostat should have prevented most of this?

When it gets below -15F, you are taking all the heat from the engine and putting it into the cabin. Even after driving 20 minutes, my car was barely warm. The top radiator hose was cold. Every time I stop at a light, I can watch the temp gauge drop. Gotta love the real cold weather!

smile.gif

I would suggest moving even farther south. The high today in Davidson NC(just north of Charlotte) was 43F, the low was 31 and we consider that a pretty cold winter day. I went for a bike ride on my road bike, bet you can't do that in upstate NY in January. Anyone Floridians or Southern Californians to offer their two cents?

I live in northern Minnesota (since 1987) and the only car that would not really warm up in the winters (up to -40f) was an Audi 4000, even with cardboard over the radiator.

But 1 87 Cadillac Deville, 93 Pontiac Grand Prix, and a 01 Windstar (with regular yearly flushes) all run perfect in the coldest of winters. (Oils have been 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30).

I have used Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Motorcraft synthetic blend. I always keep them garaged and still plug them in when it gets any subzero, they always run temperature wise on the gauge just like it would in the summer.

When it gets subzero I have found that still plugging them is the best thing to do for them and let them warm up for about 7 to 10 minutes before driving up the highway.

Good Day,
Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back