Berryman's B12 Chemtool added to oil causing running issues

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Posted in the FB VW MK7 wagon group I mod:

"Question for everyone, probably somewheres in the postings but I’m pressed for time driving to work. When changing the oil, have you ever had the car throw a fit and misfire when putting something in it to clean the gunk out and immediately go away after said oil change?"

Sounds like some of the additive combined with the oil made it into the combustion chamber causing some run issues before changing the oil out. This is in the 1.8 GTDI EA888.3 engine. This was run like Seafoam...add to oil run 400 miles then change oil. Quite different then adding LM Engine Flush and idling 15 min before draining.

Oh dear. Any carnage pics?

I’ve used B12 in the fuel, and I would probably use it for a ring soak and change the oil as soon as the ring soak was done, but there’s no way I’d ever purposely mix it with the oil and then drive it that way. If he added a bunch the bearings have likely been damaged since the viscosity of that literally is literally THINNER than water- 0.4cSt @ 68*F!!

"Question for everyone, probably somewheres in the postings but I’m pressed for time driving to work. When changing the oil, have you ever had the car throw a fit and misfire when putting something in it to clean the gunk out and immediately go away after said oil change?"

Sounds like some of the additive combined with the oil made it into the combustion chamber causing some run issues before changing the oil out. This is in the 1.8 GTDI EA888.3 engine. This was run like Seafoam...add to oil run 400 miles then change oil. Quite different then adding LM Engine Flush and idling 15 min before draining.
I'm confused. Your title states B12 caused a running issue. B12 is a fuel system cleaner only.

The Berryman's engine flush directions state pour in crankcase and idle engine until reaches operating temp then turn off.

Oh dear. Any carnage pics?

I’ve used B12 in the fuel, and I would probably use it for a ring soak and change the oil as soon as the ring soak was done, but there’s no way I’d ever purposely mix it with the oil and then drive it that way. If he added a bunch the bearings have likely been damaged since the viscosity of that literally is literally THINNER than water- 0.4cSt @ 68*F!!

you linked to wrong product. ;) That is the carb cleaner spray(or something like that)
B12= still scary flash point under the normal operating temp of motor oil.

I'm confused. Your title states B12 caused a running issue. B12 is a fuel system cleaner only.

The Berryman's engine flush directions state pour in crankcase and idle engine until reaches operating temp then turn off.
He ran it like Seafoam...added to crankcase and drove 400 miles.

Well if he only mixed a few ounces or so hes probably ok. If he poured the whole can or even half he might be making a decision to rebuild or scrap.

Berryman's B12 Chemtool is designed for overnight piston soaks to do an overnight cleaning of dirty stuck piston rings
where you manually with engine off turn the pistons using a ratchet.

As far as I know, it was never intended to be in the engine while engine is runnng.
If that person is driving the car with that solvent in the engine oil, they are not using the product as directed.

I've heard of it used in the crankcase but not for 400 miles. From an old pint can...

1690576417605.jpg

On their website Berryman says add like one ounce per quart of oil then idle for a few minutes. They claim that by the time the engine reaches full temperature all the B12 will have flashed off.

Didn't B12 remove the use of it as a flush years ago? Or am I mistaking it for something else? If so following directions helps.
Yes they modified the label because people misused it and broke their car. I remember the label being modified from the one Paulo posted, it removed any mention of driving the car and specified idle only for 10-15 min if used in the oil, the labels now make no mention of using it in the oil.
The stuff is potent and 100% works as advertised but is easily abused and can damage the engine if misused.

I use it in crankcase as an idle flush only and only if there is a issue where It could be of benefit, never as a maintenance product. Today very few engines actually need this, for a piston soak it is fine. I do use it in OPE at a splash in every tank, I have never had the carb off any of my OPE since buying them new over 17 years ago now, not one single issue.

Yes they modified the label because people misused it and broke their car. I remember the label being modified from the one Paulo posted, it removed any mention of driving the car and specified idle only for 10-15 min if used in the oil, the labels now make no mention of using it in the oil.
The stuff is potent and 100% works as advertised but is easily abused and can damage the engine if misused.

I use it in crankcase as an idle flush only and only if there is a issue where It could be of benefit, never as a maintenance product. Today very few engines actually need this, for a piston soak it is fine. I do use it in OPE at a splash in every tank, I have never had the carb off any of my OPE since buying them new over 17 years ago now, not one single issue.
Sometimes people think out of the box, and break the box. Or other people fail to read a label. Idle means idle, not drive for 400 miles, even if driven at a crawl. Smart move taking using it as an idle flush off the label. Having said that I'm certain this isn't the last we'll hear of this type of use of the product.

On their website Berryman says add like one ounce per quart of oil then idle for a few minutes. They claim that by the time the engine reaches full temperature all the B12 will have flashed off.
This is from 2017

Berryman B-12 CHEMTOOL FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER (part #0116) is extremely effective in the crankcase for the removal of gum, sludge, and other deposits IMMEDIATELY before an oil change. Because of the amount of cleaning that the product can do, it is not recommended to add it and then drive normally. This is due to the possibility of overloading the oil with deposits. This is not really a concern while idling and letting the oil temperature come up, but excessive deposits could be problematic once load is put on the engine.

If you would like to try B-12 as an engine flush, simply pour into your cold crankcase approximately 1½-2 oz. of #0116 per quart of oil capacity. For instance, if your vehicle holds 6 quarts of oil, then you would use 9-12 oz. of or about two-thirds to three-quarters of one can. After you’ve added it to your cold oil, start the car and run it at idle 10-15 minutes until the oil is warmed up. Then change the spent oil and replace the oil filter.

Back