Did piston soak increase my oil consumption?

Hi all,

I am new here and landed on this forum. Recently I bought a Q7 with a V63.0 TFSI (CREC) from 2015 with 100k miles. Before I bought it i was in doubt because these engines are prone to consume oil because of the narrow holes in de oil scraper ring get clogged. When I bought the car I drove it for more than 1000 miles and I was very happy because the digital oil indicator (i have no dipstick) was showing a rather constant oil level and did not drop at all. I do not own this car for a long time but i was (am) under the presumption that the car did not burn oil excessively.

Last week I did an oil change and preventive piston soak. The car seemed abused a little by the previous owner and the oil change was due for a few 1000 miles. I used Liquimoly valve cleaner (approx 1/2 quart in total) as Berryman B12 is not available in the Netherlands. The Liquimoly seemed not that aggressive to me as I tried a soak on the spark plugs and it did not eat trough a lot of debris. The stuff btw is not volatile but a bit oily. Remined me a little to diesel. I did the soak for 1 night, sucked the remaining fluid from the cylinders (was not black at all), started the car, had a few misfires but after 30 mins of driving it was fine. I also ran a small can of oil cleaner in the oil, drained the oil (approx 8 quarts) I changed the oil and filter. And filled it up with 7 quarts of 5w30. (less compared to what I drained because I added stuff. The oil indicator showed in the middle between min and max. I was a happy camper. The car runs excellent.

Until yesterday. I drove approx 300 miles since the oil change and my car showed the infamous fill oil message. I stressed out. Now I can't stop thinking what happened. There a few scenario's that I can think of:

1. I screwed the car up with the piston soak. Some contamination came loose and got jammed causing problems. This doesn’t seem very plausible but it is my horror scenario.
2. I used different oil than was in the car. In hindsight, Audi recommends 5w40 but 5w30 is also ok if 5w40 is not available. I don't know what oil was in the car before. Maybe even Xw50? My observation is that the oil is warming up much, much quicker compared to before the oil change. Maybe because the oil is thinner and passes the rings more easy...
3. I filled it up but only just enough. The indicator is not very precise and there is an error margin. My assumption that the car didn't burn oil was not 100% correct. I also drove 100 miles with a trailer maybe that contributed to burning oil. Also because of the thinner oil it burns more.
4. I have an oil leak around the oil filter. I was not able to check this. I will do this the coming days.

What do you think? Is it possible I screwed up the car with the piston soak? As mentioned, the cars runs great. No smoke. Should I continue drive the car with 5w30? It is not the first recommendation by Audi (stupid of me). As indicated by the very quick warm up it is totally different compared to what was in the car before.

Let me hear your thoughts!

Daan

Last edited:
I think it prefers thicker oil.
+1 That's what I would use.

Piston soaks can help, but there is always a bit or risk associated with doing it. Hopefully some hard carbon didn't break loose during the piston soak and cause damage, like a scratched cylinder wall/walls, or possibly messed up rings.

+1 That's what I would use.

Piston soaks can help, but there is always a bit or risk associated with doing it. Hopefully some hard carbon didn't break loose during the piston soak and cause damage, like a scratched cylinder wall/walls, or possibly messed up rings.
But damage to a piston rings/cilinder walls should turn out in lower compression. So a compression test should expose this problem. Correct?

But damage to a piston rings/cilinder walls should turn out in lower compression. So a compression test should expose this problem. Correct?
It should, you can do a leak down test too while you're at it. FTR you could have had damage or a worn engine before the piston soak.

Hi all,

I am new here and landed on this forum. Recently I bought a Q7 with a V63.0 TFSI (CREC) from 2015 with 100k miles. Before I bought it i was in doubt because these engines are prone to consume oil because of the narrow holes in de oil scraper ring get clogged. When I bought the car I drove it for more than 1000 miles and I was very happy because the digital oil indicator (i have no dipstick) was showing a rather constant oil level and did not drop at all. I do not own this car for a long time but i was (am) under the presumption that the car did not burn oil excessively.

Last week I did an oil change and preventive piston soak. The car seemed abused a little by the previous owner and the oil change was due for a few 1000 miles. I used Liquimoly valve cleaner (approx 1/2 quart in total) as Berryman B12 is not available in the Netherlands. The Liquimoly seemed not that aggressive to me as I tried a soak on the spark plugs and it did not eat trough a lot of debris. The stuff btw is not volatile but a bit oily. Remined me a little to diesel. I did the soak for 1 night, sucked the remaining fluid from the cylinders (was not black at all), started the car, had a few misfires but after 30 mins of driving it was fine. I also ran a small can of oil cleaner in the oil, drained the oil (approx 8 quarts) I changed the oil and filter. And filled it up with 7 quarts of 5w30. (less compared to what I drained because I added stuff. The oil indicator showed in the middle between min and max. I was a happy camper. The car runs excellent.

Until yesterday. I drove approx 300 miles since the oil change and my car showed the infamous fill oil message. I stressed out. Now I can't stop thinking what happened. There a few scenario's that I can think of:

1. I screwed the car up with the piston soak. Some contamination came loose and got jammed causing problems. This doesn’t seem very plausible but it is my horror scenario.
2. I used different oil than was in the car. In hindsight, Audi recommends 5w40 but 5w30 is also ok if 5w40 is not available. I don't know what oil was in the car before. Maybe even Xw50? My observation is that the oil is warming up much, much quicker compared to before the oil change. Maybe because the oil is thinner and passes the rings more easy...
3. I filled it up but only just enough. The indicator is not very precise and there is an error margin. I also drove 100 miles with a trailer maybe that contributed to burning oil.
4. I have an oil leak around the oil filter. I was not able to check this. I will do this the coming days.

What do you think? Is it possible I screwed up the car with the piston soak? As mentioned, the cars runs great. No smoke. Should I continue drive the car with 5w30? It is not the first recommendation by Audi (stupid of me). As indicated by the very quick warm up it is totally different compared to what was in the car before.

Let me hear your thoughts!

Daan
These engines work best with a heavier oil a 0w40 is what I have used and never had any issues. Castrol Euro 0w40 would be my go to for a VW/Audi. I had one VW that never used any measurable oil over a full OCI for years then I tried a popular brand of Euro 0w30 (not Mobil or Castrol) it turned into an oil drinking sow, back to the Castrol 0w40 and it went back to normal, engine compression remained normal.

I doubt that the piston soak has anything to do with this. Why not change the oil back to 5w40 immediately, and see if things improve?
I agree... I have the same thougt but I just bougth 100 dollars of fine 5w30 oil. That sucks :)

Last edited:
Top off with a higher viscosity oil.

Your piston soak likely did nothing much. Most products don't dissolve carbon, and clearly yours did not dissolve any. Consider sourcing an effective product and performing another piston soak prior to the next oil change.

We even do piston soaks on aircraft engines. It does remove carbon and reduce ring sticking.

Back