auto-rx vs rislone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen one, but it might be interesting. Although rislone isn't that old of product, it does have a good following of users, but so does slick 50.

I suspect that it would cause an increase in oxidation levels due to the heavier amounts of additives which will imbalance any oil, as well as the addition of a thinner carrier oil, thus changing the chemistry . Then again, it might surprise all of us, but I doubt it.

Risoline under engine operating temperature
thickens it does nothing to clean engine parts it is just another viscosity booster that clings to what ever piece of clean metal it finds. If your engine is noisy this will sure help deaden sound
Bob some one wanted you to run a test over 500 miles, make sure they furnish the car. Like STP , Slick 50, TMG it is only viable in the eye of the beholder. Just as used car dealers use Winn Friction Proofing to make engines sound better uninformed consumers use Risoline for same effect. Thats the story.

Yes if/when Bob does some kind of test to see how Rislone fares, that should answer alot of questions. There seems to be alot of controversy about Rislone. The only reason I even started this thread was that Rislone says it can be left in the engine for 3k miles and clean it. It sounded to me like it might be similar to auto-rx and thought I'd ask this question. I was in no way trying to bash auto-rx. I think auto-rx is top notched from what results have been (though I still have yet to use it). With Rislone being as cheap as it is, and if it actually works safely with no side effects as rx does, then I would consider it a cheap viable alternative to rx. Since I'm thinking of selling the Jeep this spring/early summer, I have decided not to try rx as it's still in the shop getting a new oil pump and cleaning of the pan and pickup. However, the next vehicle I get (probably a 5.9 limited Cherokee) WILL get an rx treatment. I was just considering Rislone as a cheap way to clean whatever might be left in the engine the flush didn't get out. I'm looking forward to seeing a test by Bob with Rislone though.
Jason

MEB, honestly, I have no intentions of testing this as I have way too many other things going at this time. If someone was to do nothing more than run a 3k test on a standard oil and establish trends, then insert the rislone and run it for 3k, and do a comparison, it would defiantly show how it affects the oil over that period of time.
This is only a short term test, but can give you some idea of the long term affect it may or may not have.

Tend, thanks for the history page. I see they've been around for 75yrs, which is better than some, which would lend some credibility to their company which IMO is a good start, but Quaker State Corporation was created in 1931 by a consolidation of 19 companies giving them 72years and they are the ones with slick 50, so time in business doesn't always prove their case. Just as Schaeffers has been over 160+years, it too has twice the time as any of the above companies, but even then, we have gone into great lengths to dissect the 132 additive even though it is one of the "popular" additives sold by some on this site.

Point is, hate to seen someone get so upset over our position of not just "accepting" testimonials as the only way to establish how it works, when in fact, testimonials do have a tendency of being biased where as these oil analysis can really show what is truly happening for that one application and if enough are done, will give you a better idea yet.

Long term effects on engines are dismissed many times as standard mechanical failures due to the fact most lubrication problems never appear to be nothing more than worn out parts and is hard to measure actual derogation damage due to chemical additives used.

Bob

I appreciate this board and have learned much from it. Thank you for this opportunity to learn and interact with fellow car fans.

As you know, many of us "regular" guys only have anecdotal evidence which I know does not stack up to the many tests done by others here. Your points as usual are well taken.

Having said that, there are a few on this thread who blinded by their products and making money (IMO) are less than open to other products even though they have little or no experience with that product. That is not something that I enjoy.

I for one would not spend dime one with those individulas/companies even if their products were great.....just because of their demeanor.

[ January 29, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Tenderloin,

When I was a young kid growing up in the far North Country in the very early 50's we used Rislone in the winter in our tractors. In fact at temps of -23 degrees and lower we used 2-3 quarts of Rislone. It was either that or hook up a team of horses to do the work. I can remember over 30 days and never got above 0 degrees.

This was not added to clean the engine. It was used to start and run the engines. Now the problem, with multi-vis oils on the market, the need for Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil started to go down drastically. So the Schaler Company did a remake of their product and packaging and now sell it under a totally different marketing plan. As the slogan goes "This ain't your Father's Oldsmobile" I tried it about 4 years ago in a 350 GM and I did get drastic valve clatter as the oil started to thicken to much on cold mornings. So I changed the oil and have not used it since. I would love to see a UOA on this with it in the engine for 3-5K.

59 Vetteman

I am not a Rislone zealot. I have used the product for years(add "anytime formula" 500-700 miles before oil change) and I am happy and recommend it.

I have also stated that I do change my oil on a regular basis and have alway used top synthetic oils, so I expect good results from my engines.

That is it. No more, No less.

I was reading through here, so I had to come back on and say some things. First I do not, or ever have worked for an oil company, or any other company of that type. I am 69 years old and am retired, don't work at all, for anyone else anyway. Always something to do around here. I did work at service stations in the late 40's for my brother in law, then as a tune up man and station work in the late 50's and early 60's. But other than that didn't work at that type of work at anyother time, except on my own cars and for friends. And for the guy that said in the far north they used it in their tractors in the winter, to make them so they would start, but it was not used to clean the engine. In the late 40's that is all I thought it was made for, was to clean the sludge out of an engine, for it did it and did it well. I'm too old to run a test on it, as I don't drive that much anymore, or even care to. But I don't know why that Frank wants to put it down, when by what he says he doesn't know anything at all about it. Unless its like Tenderloin said, he is blinded my what he sells and just wants to make money, no matter if what he says is right or wrong. There is more of my 2 cents or maybe a nickles worth

Tenderloin,

What is the product or manf. number and label description. I will purchase some (if it's available) and send it in for a VOA and do some testing on my own. (I did go to Autozone today and didn't see the product, only some Rislone Oil thickner), but will search some other sources, since I am academically curious about the product as well.

Dr. T,

"Molacule, what in Auto-rx's chemical structure or MSDS makes it different from any other products available OTC? How does it's action differ from these other products? "

From what I know about it, Auto-RX is a described as a long-term cleaner consisting of natural and organic esters (such as linoleic acid esters). Since esters are highly polar, they have an affinity (great attraction) for sludge particles and metal surfaces. Esters and automotive detergents act as "soaps" and tend to surround sludge and other carbonaceous deposits and hold them in suspension in the host oil (the mechanism is "micellular" suspension). Apparently, Auto-RX works better with dino oil during the cleaning interval since the esters don't have to compete with synthetic oil esters.

Frank, Rick and other contributors may have some additional insights into Auto-RX.

[ January 29, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Although rislone isn't that old of product,...

Rislone's been around at least over 40 years. (I'm 57 and my dad used it as an article of faith at every oil change on a 55 Plymouth flathead I-6 and most subsequent cars he owned.) I'm sure the product's evolved over that time, though. My dad was ~told~ by a mechanic friend long ago (not exactly an objective, verfiable source, I realize) that Rislone was primarily a detergent supplement in a carrier oil for convenience (The quart size container is intended to replace one quart of motor oil at oil-change time.). Dad died a good decade after he stopped doing his own oil changes, so I have no experience at all with the smaller size can meant to be used during an oil interval. I never used either product in any of my cars. I ~suspect~ the small can product is essentially a solvent-detergent supplement in which the solvent evaporates off fairly quickly leaving the detergent to do its job prior to a regular oil change. It wouldn't be beyond my belief system to accept that the solvent might be kerosene, with a dose of antiwear additives as further protection against oil dilution. I could be wrong on everything except what I know to be a product available in the U.S. for quite a while.

-Ray Haeffele

40 years??? As I just said in a post, up a couple it was used by by brother in law back in the late 40's, I believe that is over 60 years ago. It was in a metal can then, yellow then too.

Back to school for math. I believe it was 1949 or 1950, that would be 52 or 3 years ago.

Pruntyc,

I suggested to Bob that a used oil analysis be done on Rislone treated oil at the end of an oil change (last 500 miles w/ Rislone replacing 1 Qt of oil). It will probably take me a couple of months, but if there is interest , I will be glad to provide info. The car I would dedicate to this had the oil changed last week, Chevron/Texaco Havoline and I'm using a different AWD model car through most of the winter and have promised Dragboat a UOA of the Citgo in that car.(Dragboat, you always take priority!)
worshippy.gif

I don't believe that anyone is attacking anyone else's faith in Rislone, but at least let us get some quantitative measurements.
BTW, this car just had an A-RX treatment interval of 800 miles.

Cool, I'd be curious to see the results.

Bob, that's perfectly fine if you don't intend to do any tests as I understand if you're busy with alot (and alot more important stuff) of stuff going on. I don't know where any oil labs around here might be so I'll have to leave it up to other people to do their own testing.

Jason

I am curious because I think we are tallking about a number of different Rislone products.

I have seen the thick Rislone oil additive, the veerrryy thick Rislone smoke reducer, and now it appears there is a thin Rislone with cleaners and additives.

So I was just attempting to clarify which product it is and then do some testing by knowing the product number and label description so I get the correct product.

The product I have been talking about is the "add anytime" Engine Treatment

http://www.rislone.com/engine.htm

It is intended to slowly clean your engine, while NOT changing the viscosity of the original oil (stay in grade).

Some who sell other products on this thread have labeled it as just a viscosity booster/oil thickener/sound deadener.

I have used it for years, along with regular oil changes with top quality synthetic oils/filters.

[ January 30, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Tenderloin,

OK, this is the stuff in the Yellow bottles and I have seen it. It is very similar to Lube Control.

What I had seen in stores was the clear bottle of viscosity thickener, similar to STP regular formula. And in AutoZone, they only had the opaque bottle of oil for the "smokers."

Will get some and check it out.

Well, I got tired of the bickering here and just as I was contemplating using the product myself, I conned a friend into buying it and trying it in his `88 BMW 3 series beater with 140k mi. that was previously abused and has been an oil burner ever since he got it at 90k. mi. He changes his oil every 2k mi. just because it turns charcoal black in this interval...only uses conventional Can. Tire oil and mentions that consumption has gone down since purchase...guess things are being cleaned out with the freq. oil changes. He will report back to me. Otherwise, we both agreed the product smells a lot like Acetone. The only other uncertainty I have is the website doesn't claim reduced oil burning after cleaning...only refers to increased consumption, so I'd be interested if there was an effect...will keep you guys posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back