auto-rx vs rislone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The website says: "Synthetic oils – Rislone is safe for use with all petroleum-based synthetic motor oils". Can I use it with Mobil 1 or is it referring to Group III oils?

To Dr. T & PRUNTYC, Yes, as hard as it is to be believed, the Shell Formula 10w30 by itself cleaned the sludge out of the valve cover area of the motor. I did not take the oil pan off to examine the bottom side. At the time of the first oil change the oil was begining to gel and was thicker than normal and very black. Black sludge was visible inside the valve cover area from the oil fill cap. PRUNTYC, I would normally agree with you that a motor oil was not enough to clean this up but after witnessing this I want to pass it on. I do not work for Shell or have any stock in the company but have been really impressed with their motor oil that I have used for the last 2 years. Now after the clean up, the varnish remained and all of the interior parts have a varnish stain of medium and dark brown.

I have only used Rislone to cure a lifter ticking noise.

Dr. T I didn't answer you about the CD-2, because I really don't know that much about it. I have heard of it for years, but never used it, or know anyone that did. I have used Rislone, and my deceased brother-in-law, had a garage and sold about all the additives in it I believe. But as far as I know the only one he used in his own car, was Rislone. I do know he used it often. And ALJAMES I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying, I'm sure it worked for you. But I'm not sure it would work all the time in other situations. I have also heard that Havoline did a good job of cleaning engines, but again it is just hear say on my part. And that most dino oils do make sludge.

quote:

Originally posted by pruntyc:
Dr. T I didn't answer you about the CD-2, because I really don't know that much about it. I have heard of it for years, but never used it, or know anyone that did. I have used Rislone, and my deceased brother-in-law, had a garage and sold about all the additives in it I believe. But as far as I know the only one he used in his own car, was Rislone. I do know he used it often. And ALJAMES I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying, I'm sure it worked for you. But I'm not sure it would work all the time in other situations. I have also heard that Havoline did a good job of cleaning engines, but again it is just hear say on my part. And that most dino oils do make sludge.

I would change that to DID make sludge. I think today's dino oils are much more resistant to sludge than ever.

Tenderloin and Others,

Dudes. I am simply giving you guys my take on OTC cleaners, not attacking any one specifically. I have done similar critiques on other OTC products when someone wanted to know more about the base oil(s) and additive packages. I am not currently associated with any one manufacturer or oil or additive company, so I simply "calls 'em as I seez 'em!"

Yes you would leave it in the full 5k. Rislone says to if you add it later, leave it in for several hundred miles, don't know as 500, is anymore than one mans opinion. But if you know the engine if pretty clean I would think then that 500 might be a good number. I personally like the full oil change time, myself. Gives it more time to do its job. And I have never seen any dino oil that would clean a sludged engine. It must not have had much, for it to work. Dino oil makes more sludge, than it cleans. Now a syntheic oil, if you gave it enough time, might clean it up, if it was not too bad. But sometimes even if syntheic oil was used, the engine can get some sludge.

Here's why we all have a sense of confidence in Rislone products:

-

Pete Williams, Rislone Chi-Town Hustler, Englishtown 1983

-

Coil & Minick "Chi-Town Hustler", 1968 (Photo from Rislone handout)

-

Bobby Unser, Rislone Special, 1968

-

Tommy Ivo's Four Engine Dragster

Ahhh, the power of advertising...

Those photos had nothing whatsoever to do with my useing it. Its the first I have ever even saw them. You must have a problem to want to knock it that bad. Oh well it takes all kinds so have fun.

This thread is surely not Auto-Rx vs Risoline
Auto-Rx is a non hazardous metal cleaner formulated to clean all debris off of your engines rotating parts, so your oil (whatever you use) can lubricate every inch of the engine.

Risoline thickens your oil,it does not clean or lubricate your entire engine because like oil it can't penetrate through debris on metal however it does help deaden engine sounds.

quote:

Originally posted by pruntyc:
Those photos had nothing whatsoever to do with my useing it. Its the first I have ever even saw them. You must have a problem to want to knock it that bad. Oh well it takes all kinds so have fun.

For at least my own education, what criteria did you follow that lead you to use the Rislone product?

I have looked for Oil Analysis from someone using the Rislone product. I can't seem to find any. So the anecdotal evidence presented is in your own opinion and will be viewed and judged as such and I respect that. Without analysis, I am a skeptic. I do have analysis on the products I use. I am not bashing, just looking for some analytical evidence.

[ January 28, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Dr. T,

"The website says: "Synthetic oils – Rislone is safe for use with all petroleum-based synthetic motor oils". Can I use it with Mobil 1 or is it referring to Group III oils? "

The statement implies if it could only mix with PAO's or EOP's, but looking at the base oils it should mix with just about anything.

Again, it has light petroleum for the additive carrier and heavy oils (polyisobutylene) for the
viscosity thickenening. Just another flavor of STP with a few extra additives.

Would anyone like to send in some for VOA?

I just wish we could get the facts straight...and of course, I too would love to see some oil analysis w/ the product.

From the graphs, it seems like Rislone somewhat THINS the oil as the CCS # of the 10-30 they show goes down some, but not considerably. So what does it do?? We'd love to know. I think basically, there's a lot of people here that would love to know what OTC products may be comparable to Auto-rx so that one could simply purchase the product when needed as needed from a local/nearby store.

Molacule, what in Auto-rx's chemical structure or MSDS makes it different from any other products available OTC? How does it's action differ from these other products?

I'm with Vetteman. You are judging this product from personal experience and racing ad's which we all know is nothing more than a money issue. This doesn't mean they use it, but defiantly get paid to support the ad's for it.

You have no idea as to what it really is doing to your oil. As for never having any problems, well, we have people with 400-600,000 miles on gas engines not having ever pulled the valve covers off.. and all they used was a well blended oil with no additives. BTW, the guy with the nissan car that has 600,000 miles, is also the one that sells this oil to a hole pile of well know racers. Difference is, they don't advertise the oil because it isn't' being payed for, but yet, there is a slew of them. THIS FORM OF SELLING doesn't make it a good product, just a well known product.

There is some interesting points, first, I'd think maybe this type of additive would not go well for longer oil drains as many like to do. The remark of with the good well balanced oil would have possibly given you the same results or would it? I'd have my doubts that is was the only thing that made it go to that, just a good maintenance practice would accomplish this as well. Since you have no oil analysis with this product in there, you appear to have no way of knowing for sure what was happening, therefore, your opinions at best all you have to rely on. This is very common. Look at the amount of slick 50 users out there with no evidence of a problem. Same with stp users. All of these can lay claim to the same thing you can. Does it make them better or worse? Who knows, without anything to look at other than a well maintained engine by someone who takes the time to do proper oil changes with an already good oil.

As for comparison to auto rx, Not even close to the same chemistry and different application design. Consider the fact that the Resilone appears to have a pile of anti-wear additives as well as additives to effect viscosity of the oil among other additives whereas auto rx is designed as a passive soft cleaner that isn't designed to change the base oil chemistry. So, hammering on anything, trust me when I tell you, auto rx, 131 neutra, Lc, stp and many more have been looked at in the same way as you are seeing here so don't be put out due to this as it isn't personal, just when this topic has been gone through it will have been chewed up, swallowed and regurgitated more than once. This has nothing to do what is sold or not sold on here.

Is this bashing? Sorry, This is where we look more for facts. This is a NO SPIN zone when stuff like this is starting to be touted as a good poduct, then why worry if there is more than just a few stories of who used it, why not do some analysis and see just what does it do and can you run long drains, and how does it effect your base oil. I have seen one additive that some use it race cars and will work fine for that, but put into a regular car engine, and the oxidation levels shoot right up causing the oil to break down prematurly do to the fact it is designed to protect the race engine and then is be changed out, not run for extended periods of time.
Racing engines are different and using what is in a race engine is not the same in a stop and go car for extended periods of time like in a regular car.

Tenderloin, I thought when I joined this, that they were hunting information, and was not hard headed with their minds already made up, without even trying a product or knowing anything about it, like Frank. But I see how wrong I was, I guess, I'll just sign off of this web site and forget it, its not worth the time or efort. Rislone has been around longer, than probably any of them, and it will still be around after they are gone, so who really cares what these guys think, they are just showing how little they really know about things. I thought I could learn something here, but they would have to know more than I to teach me, and I can see they don't. So good by.

I wouldn't put Rislone in my weedeater let a vehicle I care about. If you can't work out the difference between a Rislone type solvent and Neutra 131 or U.S patented Auto-Rx so be it mate. I learn something here every day because its a NO SPIN zone. Best forum/people around anywhere. See ya...s

quote:

Rislone has been around longer, than probably any of them, and it will still be around after they are gone, so who really cares what these guys think, they are just showing how little they really know about things. I thought I could learn something here, but they would have to know more than I to teach me, and I can see they don't.

I suspect he has no idea how long Rislone has been around as he sure doesn't have any idea about the other companies mentioned here. I just don't understand why he takes this so personal? Is he a rep for this company? I hate to see people like that go but I guess it does more good than to have em hanging around here just spouting basic sales propaganda with no idea of what it really does. I just don't understand how he can explain anything about this product when in fact he seems to have less idea as to what it is than others here.

that they were hunting information, and was not hard headed with their minds already made up, without even trying a product or knowing anything about it, like Frank Sounds like you have nothing to offer except personal opinion. If you know something about that product, tell us something we haven't already told you. We figured maybe you could teach us something more on a technical level which we all learn from ,but it appears that we learned who may have the hard head around here, ya think? If you take the time and want to offer more technical info that proves your case, drop in, but quit being so hurt over this as I explained before, this is not personal. The guys you have been discussing this with are chemists and engineers and many others are very savy people that just don't listen to hype but look at #'s and technical info offered which none of which you have not offered to support you opinon. Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back