Shaler Rislone..

I recently put a bottle of Rislone into my 77 Chevy 454. The engine is in decent shape about 60,000 miles. I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 with a 5" Wix filter. I never had any issues. Back in the seventies I used to use Rislone to get the wax out of my engines and that stuff worked! So I decided to try a quart. About three days or 100 miles after putting it in, My 454 started to pop under heavy acceleration. I pulled the right valve cover the number 6 exhaust valve wasn't opening as far as the others. Cams on its way out.
I wonder if the Rislone helped it wear down faster. After using it, I noticed my engine had a much stronger the bottom end, right off idle. That would suggest the lubes wearing down making my cam duration smaller giving it more bottom end..

Oh well now comes the fun part shopping for a USA made cam and lifters. I know there out there its just finding them. I hear Summits house brand cams are real good quality and made in the usa.. I live in Pittsburgh and I see the mills still making high quality tool steel so I know its possible to find parts made with hi quality steel. I know the Chinese make hi quality steel also but the folks who import, only want the cheap stuff or so I'm told..

Thanks..

I recently put a bottle of Rislone into my 77 Chevy 454. The engine is in decent shape about 60,000 miles. I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 with a 5" Wix filter. I never had any issues. Back in the seventies I used to use Rislone to get the wax out of my engines and that stuff worked! So I decided to try a quart. About three days or 100 miles after putting it in, My 454 started to pop under heavy acceleration. I pulled the right valve cover the number 6 exhaust valve wasn't opening as far as the others. Cams on its way out.
I wonder if the Rislone helped it wear down faster. After using it, I noticed my engine had a much stronger the bottom end, right off idle. That would suggest the lubes wearing down making my cam duration smaller giving it more bottom end..

Oh well now comes the fun part shopping for a USA made cam and lifters. I know there out there its just finding them. I hear Summits house brand cams are real good quality and made in the usa.. I live in Pittsburgh and I see the mills still making high quality tool steel so I know its possible to find parts made with hi quality steel. I know the Chinese make hi quality steel also but the folks who import, only want the cheap stuff or so I'm told..

Thanks..

Are you the original owner of this 77 Chevy 454? So this engine has had nothing but Mobil 1 5W-30 since 1977?

I doubt rislone caused an issue.

Normal wear and tear... and I would've avoided API oils since the z/p/s drop.

Rislone even has one:
I use this in my '83 LG4, a longer filter and some off the shelf 10w30 seems to work satisfactory 👍
The longer filter let's me keep all 5qts of capacity, plus the bottle of additive, right at the full mark on the dipstick

What is Shaler Rislone and what do you mean by a five inch Wix filter? Is that the filter that is specified for that motor? We usually go by part numbers here.

I posted a few threads about my recent issue, I didn't see one negative word about Rislone.

Back in the sixtys, seventies and eightys. I used Rislone regularly. I'd put one to two quarts in my crank case right before the oil change. It seemed to loosen up all the trapped dirt and Parfin wax they used to put in oil.

I've been using Mobil 1 for a log time and never had any issues..

The engine is a 1977 Chevrolet 454 truck motor. Suppoe to have very low mileage.

In defense of OP - "back in the dhey..." we put bigger, longer filters on out big boy big blocks and even on small blocks. The rumors said that (I believe it was penzoil and maybe a few obsolete cans, but might be remembering that particular thing wrong) some oils had everything from parrafin to bees wax to snot and used cooking oil as part of the formula. Penz had more urban legends about it's affect on cars than Carter had liver pills. And depending on which camp you were in, Valvoline and Castrol and balh blah blah might ALSO have been rumored to have each bottle topped off with bacon grease. All oils, to my knowledge, had a PARRAFINIC oil base. Back then, we stood around in shops telling each other these things and deciding what is best. Then, Al Gore invented the internet and Bob from Schaeffer's built this website, not to plug Schaeffer's, but as a place where shop guys could all get together by the hundreds, and we all said, "dang man, we was all wrong, parrafinic doesn't mean it was made from parrafin or had wax in it" - I wasn't here back then, but I've been poking around since about 2007ish and man, we used to could talk about this stuff and say things like "I wonder if Slick 50 is best with X oil since X oil is made with nothing but oil from Brazil, which is better than oil from Saudi Arabia" and nobody batted an eye. People who really knew what they were talking about would sometimes chime in and explain that Brazilian oil and Saudi oil both were broken down into the exact same stuff, and slowly the population got a little bit better informed. Now everybody knows everything (THANKS AL GORE and thank you too Bob!) and some folks call other posts troll posts and it's really not necessary. Unless it's a troll post. Which is rare, but it happens. Then a mod comes along and makes a decision. Sometimes its a good decision, sometimes it's not, but that's ok. Nobody is perfect.

So, for example, in my 427 chevy I would never use Penz and would out the longest, beefiest filter on it that would screw on. Some people today still do that on modern engines. I know that Bitog gods send oily fire to smite those who stray from 'this is what your manual says', and you are condemned to Oildes, which is next door to Hades, for saying something incorrect.

It was so much nicer when smart folks told folks who had bad information that they were wrong and then explained why.

There has never been ‘paraffin wax’ in oils…this sounds like a troll post…

Speaking in scientific terms, all engine oils are "paraffinic." Why do you think it's a troll post? A lot of people believe the whole paraffin "wax" thing because there were commercials and other literature that mislead people to that thought. There's still a lot of people who believe "oil is oil" like they just take crude oil out of the ground and pour it in your engine. There's a lot of people who don't know anything about engine oils aside from what shadetree backyard mechanics have mislead them to believe. That's not their fault and doesn't make them a troll. That's a big reason this forum exists to clear up those myths and misconceptions and help people make better choices in lubrication.

Nothing liquid in a can is going to make a cam lobe wear in 100 miles. Except maybe a can of sand. And nothing abrasive is going to cause just one cam lobe to wear.

Who when they hear a popping noise pulls off a valve cover to look at how the valves are opening and closing?

I am leaning towards troll post.

Nothing liquid in a can is going to make a cam lobe wear in 100 miles. Except maybe a can of sand. And nothing abrasive is going to cause just one cam lobe to wear.

Who when they hear a popping noise pulls off a valve cover to look at how the valves are opening and closing?

I am leaning towards troll post.
Perhaps, giving benefit of doubt, OP didn't include ignition issues testing/diagnosis in his original troubleshooting story.

I've been known to forget to include steps I took that passed initial diagnostics testing before. And if the issue is narrowed to one cylinder, testing/checking for mechanical issues would be next, though I would do compression check before sheet metal removal.

Regardless, I've been on the internet a loooong time, since dial-up and UseNet groups, and I don't detect troll from OP. And he's been a member since like 2006. Seems a long time to wait to exhibit troll behavior. 😆

In defense of OP - "back in the dhey..." we put bigger, longer filters on out big boy big blocks and even on small blocks. The rumors said that (I believe it was penzoil and maybe a few obsolete cans, but might be remembering that particular thing wrong) some oils had everything from parrafin to bees wax to snot and used cooking oil as part of the formula. Penz had more urban legends about it's affect on cars than Carter had liver pills. And depending on which camp you were in, Valvoline and Castrol and balh blah blah might ALSO have been rumored to have each bottle topped off with bacon grease. All oils, to my knowledge, had a PARRAFINIC oil base. Back then, we stood around in shops telling each other these things and deciding what is best. Then, Al Gore invented the internet and Bob from Schaeffer's built this website, not to plug Schaeffer's, but as a place where shop guys could all get together by the hundreds, and we all said, "dang man, we was all wrong, parrafinic doesn't mean it was made from parrafin or had wax in it" - I wasn't here back then, but I've been poking around since about 2007ish and man, we used to could talk about this stuff and say things like "I wonder if Slick 50 is best with X oil since X oil is made with nothing but oil from Brazil, which is better than oil from Saudi Arabia" and nobody batted an eye. People who really knew what they were talking about would sometimes chime in and explain that Brazilian oil and Saudi oil both were broken down into the exact same stuff, and slowly the population got a little bit better informed. Now everybody knows everything (THANKS AL GORE and thank you too Bob!) and some folks call other posts troll posts and it's really not necessary. Unless it's a troll post. Which is rare, but it happens. Then a mod comes along and makes a decision. Sometimes its a good decision, sometimes it's not, but that's ok. Nobody is perfect.

So, for example, in my 427 chevy I would never use Penz and would out the longest, beefiest filter on it that would screw on. Some people today still do that on modern engines. I know that Bitog gods send oily fire to smite those who stray from 'this is what your manual says', and you are condemned to Oildes, which is next door to Hades, for saying something incorrect.

It was so much nicer when smart folks told folks who had bad information that they were wrong and then explained why.
Amen to that, brother

Back