Are the Purolators still failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636

Maybe the reason why you have seen tears is because you use all that fancy equipment. I use a $30 can opener we got as a wedding gift. My wife isn't too fond of it, but I have yet to see a tear!
cool.gif

My cutter is less than $10 at HF.
21.gif

Good luck bud, your not Going to make any friends with these posts, but it is refreshing to see someone else stand up against the lunacy!
07.gif
it will be interesting tonight when the Frampires come out of their lairs to gang up and attempt to discredit you.

FRAMpires and lairs....

You got to like that stuff there, I don't care who you are.

35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Yeah, not liking to use filters that have shown a good track record of failures is just pure lunacy. LoL

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Most BITOG folk actually have a decent filter cutter. Just look at the photos posted and see how straight the cuts are.

I seem to be one of the few with a pneumatic wheel cutter. Btw.. I have cut open quite a few filter with it and have yet to replicate a Purolator tear.

Maybe the reason why you have seen tears is because you use all that fancy equipment. I use a $30 can opener we got as a wedding gift. My wife isn't too fond of it, but I have yet to see a tear!
cool.gif

LoL ... so you're now saying that all those fancy oil filter cutters are causing media tears, but if you just use a cheap can opener from the kitchen that it will make a difference and you won't "mistakenly" cause media tears when you cut open oil filters.

Wow ... this is getting kind of ridiculous in your effort to try and convince everyone that all those reported media tears were self inflicted by the cutters.
crazy.gif

Are you really that dense? There is no way you are that slow. The sarcasm was heavily implied here. No one in their right mind would have thought that I was indicating that filter cutters are damaging media. I never have made that point and have disagreed with every member who has ever made it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It has become apparent that many here lack the common sense to change base level, economy line filters appropriately. Here at jk_636 automotive we have a solution. Every one of our vehicles now comes with an updated owners manual for operating vehicles in the 21st century. Our new manuals say the following, "Dont be cheap. If you drive you car a lot, change your oil and filter a lot. A problem averted is a problem solved."

Maybe the statement in bold should be Purolator's new use statement on their website. Maybe sure you get a royalty.
grin.gif

Darn right, and dont you forget it. Tell me how much your advertising people are paying you, maybe Purolator will match it.

cool.gif

My cutter is less than $10 at HF.
21.gif

It was a sarcasm. I really do use a can opener, but not saying the few tears we have seen have been because of an improper cutting technique.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Good luck bud, your not Going to make any friends with these posts, but it is refreshing to see someone else stand up against the lunacy!
07.gif
it will be interesting tonight when the Frampires come out of their lairs to gang up and attempt to discredit you.

FRAMpires and lairs....

You got to like that stuff there, I don't care who you are.

35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Im glad you enjoyed it. Thats all origional material. Im working on a stand up comedy routine. When Im not at walmart watching sheeple fight over Fram Ultras I come here for inspiration. Tune in throughout the weekend for more to come!

Are you really that dense? There is no way you are that slow. The sarcasm was heavily implied here. No one in their right mind would have thought that I was indicating that filter cutters are damaging media. I never have made that point and have disagreed with every member who has ever made it.

Nice try to cover-up a ridiculous comment - which is something not surprising actually.
grin.gif

Some advice, work to improve your sarcasm ... it stinks.
wink.gif
LoL

Tell me how much your advertising people are paying you, maybe Purolator will match it.

I get a dollar for every time I mention Fram Ultra.

Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra

Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra, Fram Ultra

I just made $50.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I haven't seen any torn filters here lately
Maybe they fixed something
Or maybe most have moved away from them
I will take a wait and see stance of at least a year
There are many other options out there

there never was any legit failures, just amateurs tearing them while fumbling to open them for anal-ysis.

Way to prove me wrong again. You must be a couple filters away from a full case eh? CptBarkley is the one asserting that filters were damaged during inspections not me. Some advice, think before you type.
09.gif

You must be a couple filters away from a full case eh?

Now who was chiming in about personal comments a while back, saying there's no need for them? Hummm ...
whistle.gif

After re-reading this thread I have compiled a list of the general consensus here on BITOG thus far based on the nature of the posts (only one vote per user, regardless of how often they have posted):

Those who use Purolator filters: 9 members (28%)

Those who do not use Purolator filters
: 15 members (46%)

Those who are not sure / may in the future:
8 members (25%)

Sounds like after all the positive discussion and mindless banter we pretty much are at an impass! It may as well be an all around tie at this point.
10.gif

Last edited:
I didn't know we were having a "who uses what" contest. People can use whatever they want based on what information they collect on any particular product. Fact is, there are way less Purolator users on this board now then there was a year ago.

z06 this has nothing to do with you. Stop trying to stir the pot. The OP wanted to know if it was safe to use them. He wanted the opinion of his fellow BITOGers. I tried to help him by taking objective data from this thread and comprised a quick chart. The general consensus from those who participated in this thread has been cataloged above. Get over it and move on.

^^^ LoL ... so you've proven that the Tearolators are now 100% OK to use? I'm sure everyone will go out tomorrow and stock up on Purolators.
grin.gif

What someone needs to get over is the fantasy that Purolator never had a problem and the fact that there is no real proof yet that they've fixed the problem. Maybe a year from now it might be a different story ... so stay tuned until then.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
171 posts of the peanut gallery chasing its own tail, carry on.
I think some people need to get a life!!!!

The last 2 posts left me scratching my head..

If you don't like what goes on here, leave? Its that simple.

It was a sarcasm. I really do use a can opener, but not saying the few tears we have seen have been because of an improper cutting technique.

I tried using a can opening on a Fram can. They seemed thinner than the M1 and WIX's I had at the time.

Broke the can opener. It was an older one that was all metal too. (My brother and his boss found it when cleaning out a storage unit.)

I am keeping my eyes out for another one though since everyone else but me seems to have decent luck with them.

The threads become useless when the same people post the same stuff 30 times a day for months. This site has really gone downhill in the last five years.

Originally Posted By: steveh

The threads become useless when the same people post the same stuff 30 times a day for months. This site has really gone downhill in the last five years.

Once again, refer to my last post.

I tried using a can opening on a Fram can. They seemed thinner than the M1 and WIX's I had at the time.

Broke the can opener. It was an older one that was all metal too. (My brother and his boss found it when cleaning out a storage unit.)

I am keeping my eyes out for another one though since everyone else but me seems to have decent luck with them.

It came from bed bath and beyond. Unfortunately, after about the last 6 filters it is on its last leg. I'm about to break down and spend the $100 or so on a real filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back