Are the Purolators still failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't be serious. You may not agree with his opinion but that doesn't mean he is a plant. There are absolutely no Purolator plants in this thread or on this site that I have seen. I can't say the same thing about other companies though. I am almost sure that some here are shills for other companies that are here to create unrest. No names, no users, no evidence, just observations.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
2010_FX4 is lazy and content with passing judgement just like OP. not much else to say about that.

Is that the best that you can do?
c20447790fac4ad9999b16024a368617.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
In short, what you classify dismissively (and predicable) as trolling, is in fact me disbelieving the hogwash in this thread.
Whatever, but to state that everyone who posted a torn Purolator did it purposely speaks volumes. I have used Purolator (and MC) filters to the point of seeing the tears first hand. If you or anyone else chooses to use (or continue) to use them, that is your/their business and prerogative, but to suggest that a problem does not or did not exist is an equal dose of hogwash.

+1 Absolutely correct. There are enough failures posted to raise concerns. Its a oil filter, for Pete's sake, nothing to be brand loyal about, just use something else that doesn't have reported issues.

Its not like the Pure one was the be all and end all, it is just a mid level filter. My engine is worth more than chancing it it on a cheap oil filter that is known to have issues.
IMO These fan boys need to get a life and stop this brand loyalty stupidity over something like this.

Long-time lurker. First time poster....bah who am I kidding?!

Remember how long the internet rumor on those 'OCOD' Frams lasted? Remember how Fram got their rep back and invited some BITOG'ers to their plant?

To me, this at the very least serves to demonstrate if you want to have good things said about your product you stay on top of QA/QC, admit when you make mistakes, and prove moving forward the previous issue was acknowledged and handled.

IMHO, I believe they are past the batch of filters that seemed the culprit. Why is this still an issue for some?

I'd imagine that Purolator isn't the only filter to ever have a tear or issue with tearing in the real world.

IF it's about being technical we could actually raise the standard of Oil Filter Dissections to include video of the filter before it was cut, the procedure of cutting it open itself, and the immediate results all on film.

Is that what it takes to generate some common sense or is this a bigger conspiracy of 'insert competitor' paying off a handful of internet forum trolls to falsify 'evidence' of a tearing phenomena just to make some money? Hey, it happens in movies and at times in real life. I just don't think it's worth it unless you believe BITOG gets THAT much traffic it would influence the masses. Granted, reports of the tears have spread, much like the OCOD, and I'm sure it'll take a couple more years, posts, and 'hey that was in the past' talk to eventually get folks to come around and accept any major manufacturer or re-labeled product can at any point in time generate a defective product. Just look at the automotive manufacturers and the randomness of failure types. It can happen.

From the more recent posts from Purolator filters on the site here, I'll use them, but granted not brand loyal and I'll probably avoid them for a time since I have a stash of random other oil filters I'm still eating through. Are Purolators 'still failing'? Which ones? The most recent dated? Or just that run of batches being the primary culprit?

You couldn't give me a Puro can filter right now. But I am running a Classic cartridge and a Puro made Motorcraft in my little fleet without concern.

Geez guys it's just an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Trav
In short, what you classify dismissively (and predicable) as trolling, is in fact me disbelieving the hogwash in this thread.
Whatever, but to state that everyone who posted a torn Purolator did it purposely speaks volumes. I have used Purolator (and MC) filters to the point of seeing the tears first hand. If you or anyone else chooses to use (or continue) to use them, that is your/their business and prerogative, but to suggest that a problem does not or did not exist is an equal dose of hogwash.

+1 Absolutely correct. There are enough failures posted to raise concerns. Its a oil filter, for Pete's sake, nothing to be brand loyal about, just use something else that doesn't have reported issues.

Its not like the Pure one was the be all and end all, it is just a mid level filter. My engine is worth more than chancing it it on a cheap oil filter that is known to have issues.
IMO These fan boys need to get a life and stop this brand loyalty stupidity over something like this.

Pretty much.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
You couldn't give me a Puro can filter right now. But I am running a Classic cartridge and a Puro made Motorcraft in my little fleet without concern.

Geez guys it's just an oil filter.

Fair enough.

On a different note, has there been any dissections of 2014 or newer Purolators? If memory serves the majority of the tears were from 2012 & 2013 stock were they not? It would nice to see if the issue has fully turned around--particularly in the PL14459, PL14610 and PL14612 filters (I seem to recall these were the majority of the ones with tears).

Memory refresher ... Clicky Here

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Read a little closer. I have posted pictures of all Purolator flavors that were tear free! Isolated incident, limited in number and contained to certain models. I think this thread has finally proven that it was nothing if not hysteria. OP way to start a good thread! The truth has finally made its way out

LoL ... hypnosis through denial.
grin.gif

its plenty documented already in this forum that there have been zero "tear" filters in the past several months. use your mouse and click around, or just watch this video instead. http://youtu.be/K0dFkchrhqs?t=8s

Negative entropy ... maybe Purolator is now using possessed media that heals itself like Christine.
grin.gif

i'm glad you brought up that point, this thread was loaded garbage from the beginning and should have been shut down by mods by page 2.

OP has a legitimate concern, as probably other do to. Why would Mods close a thread if it's being discussed appropriately?

Bottom line is there was an issue - maybe still is, and it's unclear if said issue is resolved or not. Purolator never gives info saying the problem has been found and resolved - so people are in the dark. And anyone who claims it's all a hoax and made up is in denial due to fanboy-ism.

You can't be serious. You may not agree with his opinion but that doesn't mean he is a plant. There are absolutely no Purolator plants in this thread or on this site that I have seen. I can't say the same thing about other companies though. I am almost sure that some here are shills for other companies that are here to create unrest. No names, no users, no evidence, just observations.

More unfounded biased claims. Motorking works for Fram and you don't see him talking that much about their filters unless someone asks him a specific question. Really, you seriously think there are Fram plants here because people like the Ultra? Guess what, they like it because it's a great oil filter. Like I've said before, it could a white can with the words "OIL FILTER" stamped on the side, and if people knew the specs, etc they would still like it ... brand name or not. It's really not hard to understand why people like good products. On the other hand, it is hard to understand why people still like bad products ... just for the name perhaps.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Is that what it takes to generate some common sense or is this a bigger conspiracy of 'insert competitor' paying off a handful of internet forum trolls to falsify 'evidence' of a tearing phenomena just to make some money? Hey, it happens in movies and at times in real life.

LoL ... I wish talking about it here made my bank account larger. It would certainly be more fun and easier than making money some other way.
laugh.gif

I seriously don't believe there are any shills here - or that anybody has purposely faked the posted media tears. It's all just passionate guys who are into oil filters and the technical aspects of it all. It's really kind of strange how in depth a simple thing like an oil filter can become.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
On a different note, has there been any dissections of 2014 or newer Purolators? If memory serves the majority of the tears were from 2012 & 2013 stock were they not? It would nice to see if the issue has fully turned around--particularly in the PL14459, PL14610 and PL14612 filters (I seem to recall these were the majority of the ones with tears).

Thanks Zee. I see there were three tears with early 2014 production. Speculation only, but has this curtailed because it is corrected or because people have shifted to other brands and so the sample base has been reduced?

has this curtailed because it is corrected or because people have shifted to other brands and so the sample base has been reduced?

LOL

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Is that what it takes to generate some common sense or is this a bigger conspiracy of 'insert competitor' paying off a handful of internet forum trolls to falsify 'evidence' of a tearing phenomena just to make some money? Hey, it happens in movies and at times in real life.

LoL ... I wish talking about it here made my bank account larger. It would certainly be more fun and easier than making money some other way.
laugh.gif

I seriously don't believe there are any shills here - or that anybody has purposely faked the posted media tears. It's all just passionate guys who are into oil filters and the technical aspects of it all. It's really kind of strange how in depth a simple thing like an oil filter can become.

I was called a liar on a Jeep forum a while back for showing the valve train on my clean PYB'd Jeep 4.0 engine. Apparently if I really used SOPUS products, my engine wouldnt look that clean? It seems only fair someone would be foolish enough to call someone a liar over a filter failure too. They go hand in hand.

There comes a time when you just need to let them do/ believe what they want.. then maybe they will go back under the bridge.
wink.gif

has this curtailed because it is corrected or because people have shifted to other brands and so the sample base has been reduced?
LOL

If you are going to quote me, then quote the entire text. I said it was SPECULATION ONLY.

Thanks Zee. I see there were three tears with early 2014 production. Speculation only, but has this curtailed because it is corrected or because people have shifted to other brands and so the sample base has been reduced?

There are plenty of people that are still using Purolators and their rebadged filters. I don't think that the number of people who have stopped using them have effected the results that much. On an unrelated note, this chart drives me nuts. I'm all for keeping a ledger of filters that have failed, but without a seperate log of those that didn't there is no way to accurately get an idea of how bad this problem "really is." How many filters fail? 1:3? 1:5? 1:500? No way to tell without examining all the variables.

I'm all for keeping a ledger of filters that have failed, but without a separate log of those that didn't there is no way to accurately get an idea of how bad this problem "really is." How many filters fail? 1:3? 1:5? 1:500? No way to tell without examining all the variables.
Agreed; one can only hope the small sampling that is on BITOG is minute in the scheme of things and that we were unfortunate to have a higher number of them fail.

seriously? There have not been a high percentage! What is the "failure" list up to? 40 something filters? How many filters were posted in the past year? Several hundred or so? Sounds like it hasn't been a high failure rate to me, and that is just basic math, without a super special spreadsheet! This idea that there has been some massive rash of failures is due to people, once again, blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Let's get a second sheet together, then after which time I will being expecting an apology (in writing) from all the Purohators here!
grin.gif
Including one from the main antagonist here, who will undoubtedly quote this in his nightly rant...
hooked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back