Anyone tasting a decline in craft beer?

In my town and some surrounding towns craft beer is seemingly starting to taste under attenuated / or for a better description "filmy".

Is this my tastes starting to change or is there something else too it?

Yet other breweries are still good.

In my town and some surrounding towns craft beer is seemingly starting to taste under attenuated / or for a better description "filmy".

Is this my tastes starting to change or is there something else too it?

Yet other breweries are still good.
I'm not sure what you mean by filmy.

I haven't notice a difference but I typically drink german beers (dunkels, weiss bier, dopplebocks, marzen) or Czech Pilsner and avoid IPA's in general.

Local breweries here are still pretty good, but peoples tastes do change. I was abig fan of IPA's for a while, but lately I prefer a good craft Pilsner instead.
A very local brewer is also having some trouble getting ingredients. His next batch of pilsner might be next month for example. Might have something to do with wheat supplies? Not sure.

Most of the local Colorado breweries seem to be just as good. However even with a flat or 1% overall decline in sales it seems like with all of the breweries that have closed just as many seem to be opening up. I'm not convinced that this is a wise plan. The biggest issue is planning ahead on products. A few years ago there was a decline on certain hopps varieties. A few breweries went crazy and bought twice as much as usual. The following year those same breweries had waaaay more hopps than needed and had to figure out how to use them.

Every body and their drunk uncle opening a brewery has its drawbacks
There's a guy a couple miles down the road from me who's running a still in his detached garage. He puts out a "whiskey tasting" sign one weekend a month. I think he does it just to stay legal.

I've said for a long time there's a fine line between "craft" beer and "crap" beer. I've sampled enough of the latter to avoid these small breweries. Even the better ones are under pressure to cut costs, and once that happens...
I agree, we have a BUNCH here in my area, there are a couple of good ones. The rest are playing catchup or serving a beer that taste IMO horrible.

Most of the local Colorado breweries seem to be just as good. However even with a flat or 1% overall decline in sales it seems like with all of the breweries that have closed just as many seem to be opening up. I'm not convinced that this is a wise plan. The biggest issue is planning ahead on products. A few years ago there was a decline on certain hopps varieties. A few breweries went crazy and bought twice as much as usual. The following year those same breweries had waaaay more hopps than needed and had to figure out how to use them.
Speaking of Hops. The Germans are getting nervous because warmer/drier temps are having a negative impact on their hops production.

Back