Anybody else feel guilty after flooring it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let my Club Sport and MS3 warm up before I hammer them, but I never have-and never will-feel guilty about utilizing the full performance potential of any vehicle that I own. As a matter of fact, keeping the Club Sport's motor spinning in the 4,000-7,000 rpm range is part of the fun.

Nope.. take care of all vehicles and I know they're not going to blow up. Even if it shortens the life of the engine oh well.. wonder what percentage of cars eventually goes to the scrapper?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Went out tonight and decided to have a little fun on the way, pushed my right foot to the floor and let her rev up to redline...its fun, and hard to resist sometimes. To be honest I only let it warm up for about 5 minutes of 45 MPH before I did it though, I know, bad! But I always feel guilty afterwards, like I did permanent damage or something =/ Anybody else feel this way after revving your ride up?

Did you redline the Accord or Uplander ??

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Nope.. take care of all vehicles and I know they're not going to blow up. Even if it shortens the life of the engine oh well.. wonder what percentage of cars eventually goes to the scrapper?

Well over 90% of most makes and models eventually get salvaged. How many Chevy Citations have you see running around lately? Corvettes, Porches?? don't get scrapped so fast.

No guilt if the engine is fully warmed up before doing so.

The only time I feel bad is if the oil is old (nearing 3,000 miles, LOL
27.gif
) and I feel that it's not protecting the engine good enough. Hahaha

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Well over 90% of most makes and models eventually get salvaged. How many Chevy Citations have you see running around lately? Corvettes, Porches?? don't get scrapped so fast.

I'd bet only 5% of those survive. I don't see many old Corvette's around here. Porsche's are more a niche car so those are probably in a garage somewhere.

Last edited:
I hate to admit it but I love the VTEC sound of my Acura(well Honda) 3.7 V6(>4500RPM). The 5speed automatic responds instantly and the MDX just goes.

I feel bad when I have twice unintentionally bounced off the rev limiter in my wife 2005 Subaru turbo with manual merging/passing. It just skips/jerks I assume with a fuel cutoff.

To the OP: when you "floor" the accelerator, don't think about it as you "pushing" the engine, even though that's the sensation that you get with your foot. The throttle blade simply chokes the engine from air that it really wants. Giving it "more gas" simply un-chokes the engine and lets it run.

In truth, letting an engine wind up is one of the better things you can do with an engine.

This is why I've come to like "slower" cars. I have much more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If I felt bad every time I floored it, I would have a psychiatrist on speed dial.

So true.

And

No.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Must be catholic; gotta feel guilty about everything.

BWHAHAHAHA!!! Grew up Catholic, went to Catholic school and even was an alter boy.

Ah Catholic guilt, how I love you!

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

BWHAHAHAHA!!! Grew up Catholic, went to Catholic school and even was an alter boy.

Same story here, except I am Irish Catholic so it is extra built in. O and I floor my car daily, did it this morning on the on-ramp, sounded lovely.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Same story here, except I am Irish Catholic so it is extra built in. O and I floor my car daily, did it this morning on the on-ramp, sounded lovely.

"Money can't ease a guilty conscience."
"I already have a guilty conscience. Now I want the money to go with it."

Nope. Not in the least. Unless I did it to a cold engine, then it would be more worry rather than guilt, but that would quickly disappear once I see all is fine with the vehicle.

I've surprised many a persons by jumping ahead at lights by going WOT. Nobody ever expects a chunky SUV to take off like that. Heck even some WRX's too.

The exhaust note is fun as well, a good boxer rumble from the stop.

The only issue is sometimes with heatsoak on a hot day it pulls timing.

On a brisk 55F, low humidity day it's a blast.

My previous Forester was even better. That thing would just pull 1st & 2nd so hard I thought it would break the transmission.

I only feel bad if a warning light comes on. On my car, it seems whenever it has to deliver power to the rear wheels, a light comes on and it looks like a "Traction control error" light. It only comes on for a fraction of a second, so I think it is just a friendly reminder.

It tends only to happen when I must make an extremely sharp turn and floor the gas pedal at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back