2021 Chrysler Pacifica - Impressions after driving it for 3 weeks.

I just wanted to share my impressions of the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica after driving it for 3 weeks and going on some long trips.

It was a rental vehicle, paid for by the car insurance company as a temporary replacement vehicle after one of my Odysseys was hit when it was legally parked and required 3 weeks for it's front fender and driver door to be fixed, repainted at the body shop.

The Pacifica was impressive. Infotainment system had a large screen and worked nicely. Air conditioning was ice cold and I mean ice, my hands got so cold on the steering wheel I had to turn it down. The ride/suspension is a perfect blend of comfort + nimble (those 2 attributes are usually mutually exclusive).
The engine was very strong, acceleration was very fast. The vehicle had a smoothness and refinement that felt like a Mercedes Benz. The seats were very comfortable. The external appearance was elegant and in my opinion better looking than any minivan from Honda or Toyota.

My favorite features:
[1] Stow and Go seats for the middle row, which fold under the floor in a 15 second easy procedure.
[2] Gas mileage: 35 MPG on the highway.
The 9 speed automatic transmission always kept RPM's extremely low, 1500 RPM to 1750 RPM at speeds of 65 MPH to 72 MPH.
This yielded highway gas mileage of about 35 MPG actual which is incredible for a minivan.
MPG was calculated the old fashioned way: Calculated by filling up the tank, writing down the odometer on paper, then driving 360 miles, and then filling up the tank again, subtracting the 2 odometer readings to get the distance traveled, and then dividing by the # of gallons of the 2nd fillup. Despite only having a 19 gallon fuel tank, cruising range reported on the dashboard was 460 miles of highway driving.

A few dislikes:
Transmission on rare occasions would have a harsh downshift.
Only had 7 seats (not 8).
Price too expensive: New ones are 60k, while the corresponding Honda or Toyota ones are 10k less at 50k.
Concern about reliability as the Chrysler brand doesn't invoke confidence.

But if money was no object, I could really see myself buying a Pacifica even though I am a loyal Honda Odyssey fan.

Just wanted to share my impressions on this vehicle and ask anyone to respond who own's a Pacifica for their experience with these Pacifica vans (either good or bad). Thanks.

I just wanted to share my impressions of the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica after driving it for 3 weeks and going on some long trips.

It was a rental vehicle, paid for by the car insurance company as a temporary replacement vehicle after one of my Odysseys was hit when it was legally parked and required 3 weeks for it's front fender and driver door to be fixed, repainted at the body shop.

The Pacifica was impressive. Infotainment system had a large screen and worked nicely. Air conditioning was ice cold and I mean ice, my hands got so cold on the steering wheel I had to turn it down. The ride/suspension is a perfect blend of comfort + nimble (those 2 attributes are usually mutually exclusive).
The engine was very strong, acceleration was very fast. The vehicle had a smoothness and refinement that felt like a Mercedes Benz. The seats were very comfortable. The external appearance was elegant and in my opinion better looking than any minivan from Honda or Toyota.

My favorite features:
[1] Stow and Go seats for the middle row, which fold under the floor in a 15 second easy procedure.
[2] Gas mileage: 35 MPG on the highway.
The 9 speed automatic transmission always kept RPM's extremely low, 1500 RPM to 1750 RPM at speeds of 65 MPH to 72 MPH.
This yielded highway gas mileage of about 35 MPG actual which is incredible for a minivan.
MPG was calculated the old fashioned way: Calculated by filling up the tank, writing down the odometer on paper, then driving 360 miles, and then filling up the tank again, subtracting the 2 odometer readings to get the distance traveled, and then dividing by the # of gallons of the 2nd fillup. Despite only having a 19 gallon fuel tank, cruising range reported on the dashboard was 460 miles of highway driving.

A few dislikes:
Transmission on rare occasions would have a harsh downshift.
Only had 7 seats (not 8).
Price too expensive: New ones are 60k, while the corresponding Honda or Toyota ones are 10k less at 50k.
Concern about reliability as the Chrysler brand doesn't invoke confidence.

But if money was no object, I could really see myself buying a Pacifica even though I am a loyal Honda Odyssey fan.

Just wanted to share my impressions on this vehicle and ask anyone to respond who own's a Pacifica for their experience with these Pacifica vans (either good or bad). Thanks.
I do not want to see ever again a minivan or SUV with eight seats. Captain chairs for the win!

I do not want to see ever again a minivan or SUV with eight seats. Captain chairs for the win!
The 4 Honda Odysseys I currently own each have:
Front: 2 captains chairs
Middle row: 2 captains chairs + a 3rd seat that is detachable (aka the 8th seat).
Rear row: 3 comfortable 60/40 split fold down chairs.

So 8 seats total (4 of them are captains chairs). The eight seat comes in so handy, as my family has myself, my wife, 5 children = 7 + the extra 8th seat for a girl friend of one of my sons. Just offering my humble view that I would never buy any vehicle if it didn't have the 8th seat. 8 seats, cold AC, DVD screen for the middle and rear rows, Navigation screen for the driver on front dashboard, long cross country trip = the kind of vehicles I like.

MSRP* STARTING AT

Might want to mention new LOADED ones...
While I doubt you can find one under 40k...
MSRP* STARTING AT
$37,620

How exactly does a Chrysler cost $10k more than a Honda or Toyota? That seems quite odd.
It’s in the middle for starting MSRP, Honda the most Toyota the least but the range between high and low is $955. Honda is the only one without AWD, Chrysler is the only one with AWD without also being a hybrid.

If you option them to be otherwise identical they end up within a grand or 2 of each other except the Honda where it ends up ~$5,000 higher.

The new Chrysler Pacifica lists for $60,000. The Odysseys and Sienna are about $50,000.
Top trim Pacifica AWD is $58,470, an equally optioned Sienna AWD is $56,290.

I find 35 mpg a little hard to believe. Not doubting you, just surprised.
Yes, I was surprised too. It was on a 300+ mile trip on a flat expressway. I kept the cruise control on the posted speed limit which was 65 the whole way in the right lane, with RPM between 1500 and 1750. I always try to drive to maximze fuel economy no matter what I am driving. I think the low RPM due to the gear ratios of the 8th and 9th gears really helped get the actual 35 MPG. If anything I wanted the gas mileage to suck, so I could feel better about the VCM enabled Odyssey's I have at home.

Last edited:
It’s in the middle for starting MSRP, Honda the most Toyota the least but the range between high and low is $955. Honda is the only one without AWD, Chrysler is the only one with AWD without also being a hybrid.

If you option them to be otherwise identical they end up within a grand or 2 of each other except the Honda where it ends up ~$5,000 higher.

Top trim Pacifica AWD is $58,470, an equally optioned Sienna AWD is $56,290.
Thanks for the updated info on the pricing. I guess all the new vehicles are going up rapidly in price.

Thanks for the updated info on the pricing. I guess all the new vehicles are going up rapidly in price.
Yep…. We aren’t buying anything till we have too. Our van will be driven by my kids come hell or high water, but I’ve got 10 years till that point 😅

The 4 Honda Odysseys I currently own each have:
Front: 2 captains chairs
Middle row: 2 captains chairs + a 3rd seat that is detachable (aka the 8th seat).
Rear row: 3 comfortable 60/40 split fold down chairs.

So 8 seats total (4 of them are captains chairs). The eight seat comes in so handy, as my family has myself, my wife, 5 children = 7 + the extra 8th seat for a girl friend of one of my sons. Just offering my humble view that I would never buy any vehicle if it didn't have the 8th seat. 8 seats, cold AC, DVD screen for the middle and rear rows, Navigation screen for the driver on front dashboard, long cross country trip = the kind of vehicles I like.
Yeah, I forgot about that detachable seat.

Yep…. We aren’t buying anything till we have too. Our van will be driven by my kids come hell or high water, but I’ve got 10 years till that point 😅

Good lord, please don't do this to your kids...when I was in college I swear all my friends drove their mom's old Caravan or Voyager. Other than being slow as molasses. these old vans drove great. You really felt like the king of the road in one. They dialed the ride height, visibility, steering and handling perfectly in on these things. The 2.2 and 2.6 just wasn't enough motor for them and all the crap and people stuffed into them. Couldn't kill these things, the van is 15 years old with 200k being driven by a teenager that hates it and they just kept going.

127448655_2681163268860945_5977152585877195156_n.jpg

Good lord, please don't do this to your kids...when I was in college I swear all my friends drove their mom's old Caravan or Voyager. Other than being slow as molasses. these old vans drove great. You really felt like the king of the road in one. They dialed the ride height, visibility, steering and handling perfectly in on these things. The 2.2 and 2.6 just wasn't enough motor for them and all the crap and people stuffed into them. Couldn't kill these things, the van is 15 years old with 200k being driven by a teenager that hates it and they just kept going.

View attachment 173149
I suffered in the red rocket so they can suffer in the great white whale! At least ours has the Pentastar, I had to make due with the 3.3L lol

The Dakota was my brothers and the silver one was my sisters girlfriends car. Van got the wheels plasti dipped when my brother started driving it 🤣

Edit: not pictured is my parents 2013 200S and 2007 Caliber, my brothers 2015 Dart, my 2011 Durango and 2012 Caliber. They’re in the other part of the driveway.
IMG_8243.jpeg

Last edited:
Back