Anybody else feel guilty after flooring it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: joegreen
No. This is where bitog shines with our quality oils protecting our car parts.

I hope so!

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Yes. I drove my daughter's van tonight which has much more power and pick up than the ever faithful "Bluesmobile." Like you, I "got on it" at the light. Also like you, I felt really bad afterward wondering how many miles I have shaved off the life of the vehicle. But it was fun . . . for a moment.

I thought I saw you out there GreeC!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: joegreen
No. This is where bitog shines with our quality oils protecting our car parts.

I hope so!

August, Florida, 5 minutes at 45 mph. No problem, redline it. Have some fun. I love to floor my 2.3L DOHC 16-valve Ranger pickup and often will run out 1st and 2nd then throw it into 4th since I don't want to go way past the speed limit.

No, not at all.

Have a very similar K24 in my Accord.

Love driving that car... 2nd gear pulling well into VTEC all the way to 7k, grabbing 3rd spot on (all with 3,200mi. on Fram Ultra and GTX conventional). Smooth power, high revving, really fun. Was a beautiful day/night today too so a good drive was what the doctor ordered.

Nope, no guilt. I maintain my vehicles fastidiously for very good reason.

Few things sound as good as a v4 spinning at 10k+ RPM(vfr800 interceptor). Hard to redline much though as it's doing almost 100 by the time I'm hitting the rev limiter(12.5k) in 2nd gear.

Yep! I do
frown.gif

But mainly because my engine mounts are on their way out, which means as i reach the 5K redline (Wow right?) i get a huge vibration through my pedal!
But who doesn't like to make an old I6 scream? Even if it sounds and feels like it's about to explode it shouldn't do much harm!
On the plus side, since I've started giving it the boot every now and then, the engine especially at idle has smoothed out a lot

I do it as soon as I leave the driveway when it's cold. Never had a problem, no concerns either.

Never felt guilty about flooring one of my own cars...some of them I've been thankful that they survived, but not guilty.

The oil temperature experiments on the L67, holding 4k RPM for 5 or so minutes, double its normal cruise RPM have me not feeling guilty, but mechanically sympathetic,and wanting to get it restarted after taking the temp and get it back down a tad.

It's a necessity merging onto I-95 sometimes. The Challenger has a pretty strong motor for a V-6, though. Never have a problem getting up to speed.

I feel guilty if I don't floor it every few hours of operation. Truck needs to take a deep breath every so often and burn off any nasty stuff in accumulated.

^^what he said^^

It's good to run the actuators through their entire ranges, I feel.
It's good to get vapors and vacuum extremes pushing and pulling through their full ranges too, I feel.
It's also good to have an attuned ear so you can pick up problems early.

The guy who knows about his bad motor mounts should repair them. Kira

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I wouldnt feel so bad if I had let it warm up more, I just couldnt resist.

Florida in the middle of Summer.... 5 minutes was probably warm enough already.

First world problems.
smile.gif

That's what I'm thinking. Fully warmed up? Probably not, but I'm sure it was warmed up enough to do ZERO harm.

Did you change the oil afterwards with a pricey synthetic? Did you give it a soothing bath with the finest soap and a massage using some expensive wax? If not, you should feel sorry. That car went to the red line and back for you, and what did you do to show you affection? Posting empty words on BITOG will not cut it, it's not a one way street you know and the issue is far bigger than you imagine.

grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back