Rental Car Review: 2021 Corolla

Since I view the purpose of a car as being to get me from point A to point B, and the fact that 3 and 4 year old Corollas are going for $20,000... I might just pay cash for a new one (made in Japan), take care of it and keep it for 20 years...
Which ones are made in Japan? Just the hatchbacks maybe? I haven't seen an actual made-in-Japan Corolla in many a year.

Which ones are made in Japan? Just the hatchbacks maybe? I haven't seen an actual made-in-Japan Corolla in many a year.
Yes, all the hatchbacks that I've seen are along with the Corolla GR I believe. My mom's '21 Corolla LE sedan was built in Japan. It seems the new ones are a mix of where they're made. The last new sedans I saw a few weeks ago were not from Japan. It seems they arrive in batches the best I can tell.

A lot of young drivers start off with compacts and we all know this demographic has the largest amount of accidents and claims, therefore the insurance premiums are usually higher for the compact class vs the mid size. The extra cost in insurance oftentimes can be much larger than the fuel savings. It's something to keep in mind and actually check your insurance co. if there would be a difference.

We had one for a rental when our previous Sentra got wrecked. It was an appliance .. like most Toyotas but I really liked it. Even if I didn't like the car itself, I'd consider one just for the amazing headlights. Really surprised at how well they worked! The CVT seemed to CVT better than our Nissans; it didn't fake shifts as much or at all. Obviously being a higher mileage rental it had a bent wheel and the steering wheel was off.

Normal Stellantis things. I just got both exhaust manifolds replaced on my Ram at 26K and the parts took 3.5 months to arrive.

Have a coworker with a newer Dodge truck (2021 or 2022) with the Hemi and it needs exaust manifolds. I'd expect that from a 2 year old Ford but wouldn't expect other brands to go through exhaust manifolds like that.

Have a coworker with a newer Dodge truck (2021 or 2022) with the Hemi and it needs exaust manifolds. I'd expect that from a 2 year old Ford but wouldn't expect other brands to go through exhaust manifolds like that.
After the ordeal, I have a pair on order for my own inventory.

Ours needs the manifold(s) (they are replacing both, only the passenger side is leaking) as well, but it has 80,000km on it. Ours is a VERY early '19, first month or two of production.

Apparently, in trying to solve the previous issue of the manifolds flexing and breaking the studs off (notorious on the DS trucks, typically at similar mileage to what you'd see for manifold problems from GM, Ford, Toyota...etc), they created another problem where the manifold is too rigid and now it just cracks.

Sooooo, updated part # for the passenger side manifold.

As @The Critic experienced, they replace both manifolds, but the driver-side manifold is the same OE part #, so no update to that one.

Our manifolds didn't take as long as his did to come in, but they do take a little while.

Unlike the OP, my dealership will give me a loaner that's comparable to what I'm driving, so when the truck is in, I'll get a new truck off the lot, if the Jeep is in, if I can't borrow the owner's Trackhawk or Hellcat Durango, he'll put me in a Wagoneer or high trim level Grand Cherokee.

Just check that VIN... The "J" means quality!
1689026450769.jpg

I have a personal Ram, and many company Ram pickups to, parts are quick and easy to get.
Seems odd to tow it for a bad battery.
Jump or bump start it, and drive it to the shop, if unable to change it yourself, which is ultra easy to do.

By the way my 2016 Ram hasn't had battery or AC issues.
If you owned a hybrid you'd get it. Car was bricked and there was no indication that the 12V battery might have been the problem.
The 12V battery plays no role in starting the gas engine and at the ambient temps we had the gas engine would not have started until some distance driven anyway.
The high voltage battery pack starts the gas engine, with no slow cranking like you see in your RAM at zero or so after a night outdoors.

Back