Anybody else feel guilty after flooring it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Did you change the oil afterwards with a pricey synthetic? Did you give it a soothing bath with the finest soap and a massage using some expensive wax? If not, you should feel sorry. That car went to the red line and back for you, and what did you do to show you affection? Posting empty words on BITOG will not cut it, it's not a one way street you know and the issue is far bigger than you imagine.

grin.gif

No, It was too late to get out and change the oil, Ill make sure I take care of that today!
wink.gif

I'm sure when engineered, that some of cold engine hard runs were part of the design. Not that you should make a habit of it, but some non optimum operation has been engineered in.

My 4Runner seems to love being floored. The 5VZ is a pretty revvy V6, has a pretty good exhaust note too. Makes me wish I had the manual trans...

No.

I paid for 'performance' vehicles and use every ounce of it once warmed up.

I do worry about something breaking, as two of the four have well over 100k on them, and one is a BMW with just under 100k.

Honestly what worries me the most is the AC compressor engaging at 7k RPM when I let off the gas to shift. I really don't worry about much else aside from tire and brake quality at high speeds.

Last edited:
No guilt at all. I love the engine note in my inline 5 cylinder Jetta. Nothing more fun then dumping the clutch and letting her spin to 4500-5000 and shift. I still like to blow-out the cobwebs in the Expedition every once in a while. It doesn't have the same feel as the Jetta, but whatever. It's normally driven sane. The Equinox...well it's anemic 3400 you HAVE to floor it to get anywhere, lol...

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Not guilty . . . just sorry that I threw a cupful or more of $3.50 gas out the window!

Yup.

A friend of mine always put it this way, "Flooring it is good for the soul... even if it isn't good for the wallet." His was the first Northstar V8 equipped vehicle I ever got to drive, a 2005 STS4, talk about a fun car to floor.
smile.gif

Flooring doesn't do much in today's cars. Little chance of fuel dilution. An engine running at low rpm will last longer than high rpm. I've been told in industrial IC engines, don't run them more than 85% of rated capacity.

Owned a 1993 Honda , 1.8 l DOHC 4 cylinder, 7500 rpm redline.

Owned for 20 years, all original engine went 330 000 miles ...

Redlined a dozen or more times a day, EVERYDAY! , for twenty years...!

as long as you don't see the gas gauge going down as you floor it, you are good to go!

You don't shave off years of the car's life by flooring but you sure cut downb on the miles from your fill-up of the gas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
as long as you don't see the gas gauge going down as you floor it, you are good to go!

OK, you just made me feel guilty now!

The only permanent damage you did was to your wallet in the form of increased fuel consumption, but even that was nugatory.
I avoid running any engine hard until it warms up.
OTOH, five minutes driving in Florida in summer is probably equivalent to twenty minutes here on a below zero January morning.
No harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back