Another potential 1st rig for my son

Do the turbos and their hardware from the 1980's 2.3 T-Birds bolt up to this engine? may be a good father and son project to build a ***HP pickup/sleeper.

Well, there's always this. But then I would have to be a responsible parent and take it back from him and drive it until I felt that he was ready. ;)

The SOHC Lima 2.3L/2.5L didn't have pushrods. The DOHC (Mazda) Duratec 2.3L is a relatively simple engine that's pretty rugged in my opinion.
I wondered whether the Ranger had the old Pinto (Lima?) 2.3 (SOHC?) or the Duratec/Mazda DOHC engine.

In my experience, the 2.3 Duratec is a very good engine.

That's a nice little truck.

Yokohama makes a nice tire that fits.

Check the front end they don't hold up that well.

Check the Axle code on the door, if it has a letter (probably not) its a trac loc, you can also check the tag it it says 4 10 its open 4 L 10 is a trac loc (number is ratio, i think it will be 410 or 373.) Looks like a 7.5 should be fine with a 2.3 but they aren't the standard of durability...

That's a nice little truck.

Yokohama makes a nice tire that fits.

Check the front end they don't hold up that well.

Check the Axle code on the door, if it has a letter (probably not) its a trac loc, you can also check the tag it it says 4 10 its open 4 L 10 is a trac loc (number is ratio, i think it will be 410 or 373.) Looks like a 7.5 should be fine with a 2.3 but they aren't the standard of durability...

It’s open 4 10.
Like you, I figured that it would be. I agree that it should be fine behind the 2.3l, it’s not exactly a rocket. 😉
“Overall” durability and reliability is what we’re really looking for and I know that these Rangers fit that bill nicely.

I am so jealous of the pristine frame and total lack of rust! Wow that's clean!

We are definitely fortunate to have rust free cars down here, one of the benefits of living in the south. I’ve dealt with a handful of cars from up north and I decided that if I lived up there, I wouldn’t work on them. A wheel bearing on a Subaru made me realize that quickly, what a nightmare. 😂

We are definitely fortunate to have rust free cars down here, one of the benefits of living in the south. I’ve dealt with a handful of cars from up north and I decided that if I lived up there, I wouldn’t work on them. A wheel bearing on a Subaru made me realize that quickly, what a nightmare. 😂
I seriously think about being 10 and done. Maybe even 8 and done. Wife and I are like 25k/yr. At that point... wait until we hit 8yr or 200k, then trade. No matter what, just write it off. If that's too expensive for us... time to move.

I haven't ruled out moving south some day, but wife loves the cold up here, and we both have a distinct hatred of heat and humidity. There's places in the USA could be heaven for us, but talk about a long distance move.

The only thing I will say is that trucks are more dangerous to drive especially for a young driver. I would stay clear. Get the safest car you can. A neighbor's sun died a year ago when a deer ran out and he swerved hit a tree and was burned alive.

The only thing I will say is that trucks are more dangerous to drive especially for a young driver. I would stay clear. Get the safest car you can. A neighbor's sun died a year ago when a deer ran out and he swerved hit a tree and was burned alive.
The scariest vehicle I ever drove was a 2wd regular cab Tacoma. I was stopped in traffic on a level bridge and due to a tiny bit of icing I almost couldn’t drive off it. Just a touch of gas sent the rear end sideways. People were honking at me but for about a minute I wasn’t going anywhere.

I would think very seriously about putting some weight over the rear axle. I made myself a wooden frame to hold a stack of concrete pavers for that little truck.

I haven't ruled out moving south some day, but wife loves the cold up here, and we both have a distinct hatred of heat and humidity. There's places in the USA could be heaven for us, but talk about a long distance move.

I’m the opposite, I can go all day long in hot, humid weather, it just doesn’t bother me. Cold weather? I hate it with a passion. I call winter the “griping and moaning season”. Griping is the word that I can use here, the word actually used starts with a B. 😂
So what you deal with up there, bitter cold and rusty cars, would make me an intolerable person to be around. 😉

I’ve given that some thought, believe me.

Well we’ve decided that the Ranger just isn’t for him. He likes it, but its size and other factors are coming into play. That’s alright, I’ll just take it back to the car lot and sell someone a nice Ranger. (After new tires and a brake job)
An older gentleman who used to do upholstery work for us is looking for a small truck, his F150 is drinking a little too much gas, so this’ll probably fit the bill for him.
Thanks to everyone that chimed in with info on these 2.3 rangers. This forum truly is a great community.

Cheers!🍻

Back