2021 Ford Ranger Warranty Work.. Again.

It’s getting complicated. Started out missing two days work, now needing a truck to haul a trailer.
Not sure what you’re implying, but the horn isn’t an easy fix. Along with the trim needing to be replaced and that I’m at 35,000 miles, I obviously need to take it in for warranty repair soon.

I’ll make sure to spell everything out, including my personal life, next time I make a post. Thanks. Enjoy your evening.

Not sure what you’re implying, but the horn isn’t an easy fix. Along with the trim needing to be replaced and that I’m at 35,000 miles, I obviously need to take it in for warranty repair soon.

I’ll make sure to spell everything out, including my personal life, next time I make a post. Thanks. Enjoy your evening.
Take it easy fella. You said you had to miss 2 days work without your truck. A small car rental seemed like a valid possibility to keep some income, no mention you had to have a truck to haul a trailer for work.

Take it easy fella. You said you had to miss 2 days work without your truck. A small car rental seemed like a valid possibility to keep some income, no mention you had to have a truck to haul a trailer for work.
You do see exactly why you get a response like that though, correct?

The car was certainly a valid option if a trailer wasn’t in the mix. Definitely wouldn’t debate that. I could care less what they can give me as a loaner if I didn’t have to rely on a truck, but I have to so… that’s what puts me in a pinch.

That seems unlikely. My Alero is recalled for an alteration of the key. I said I was fine just bringing them the key and the recall card, but the dealer isn't interested because the dealer is fishing for other work.
I’ve never seen a time where a manufacturer would pay the dealership to do recall or warranty work without the tech being where the car is. The only exception I can think of for the car not being at the dealership was the Takata air bags. Ford was paying us to go to the customer for Rangers that were deemed high risk.

I’ve never seen a time where a manufacturer would pay the dealership to do recall or warranty work without the tech being where the car is. The only exception I can think of for the car not being at the dealership was the Takata air bags. Ford was paying us to go to the customer for Rangers that were deemed high risk.

You have probably never seen or heard of recall or warranty work that only involved just the key. The VIN is on the recall card.

You have probably never seen or heard of recall or warranty work that only involved just the key. The VIN is on the recall card.
It’s not whether they can perform the service without the vehicle there. It’s whether GM will pay them for doing it without the vehicle there. Some people have this weird thing about working for free, like my doctor and the guys at the local utilities provider. Always asking for money 🤷‍♂️

But yes you are correct I’ve never seen a recall for just a key. So without seeing the technical instructions idk what GM is asking them to do. My guess is to visually verify VIN and mileage from the vehicle itself is step one for the administrative side though.

Last edited:
It’s not whether they can perform the service without the vehicle there. It’s whether GM will pay them for doing it without the vehicle there. Some people have this weird thing about working for free, like my doctor and the guys at the local utilities provider. Always asking for money 🤷‍♂️

But yes you are correct I’ve never seen a recall for just a key. So without seeing the technical instructions idk what GM is asking them to do. My guess is to visually verify VIN and mileage from the vehicle itself is step one for the administrative side though.

I could bring in pictures so that they could verify the VIN and mileage. Not sure why they would need the mileage to alter the plastic part of the key.

Not sure why they would need the mileage to alter the plastic part of the key.

They don’t, they will most likely need it to properly process the warranty claim so that the manufacturer will pay them.

This also could be used to prevent the dealers from claiming recalls on vehicles they didn’t do. They could get the VINs from the scrapyard and get paid for doing 10 recalls they didn’t do on vehicles headed to the crusher.

All this over a horn and a piece of e-brake trim.
I understand the OP's frustration though. You buy a new vehicle you expect things to work, whether it is the transmission or a horn. Even if a new horn is $20, I'd be taking it to the dealer too, because I wouldn't want to waste half a day replacing something I shouldn't have to if it is covered by the warranty.

In a perfect world, they should bring in the truck, fix the horn, provide him with a similar vehicle as a loaner, and he would be on his way. If Ford and its network of dealers have this much trouble fixing a horn, I'd hate to see what a transmission or engine replacement under warranty looks like.

I'd be disappointed too, but for something simple, my time is valuable.

Take the DPFE sensors on these Rangers. They need replacing about every 30-40,000 miles. It is a $20 part if you buy it right and takes about 20 min to replace.

I'm not going to the dealer for that. (And didn't, just replaced mine a month or so ago)

Back