How to get the most for junking a vehicle?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I inherited a junker 2001 Ford Ranger XLT and need it gone. Runs and drives but is some frontal crash damage and mechanically on it's last legs, rough condition overall.

Any recommendation for companies that deal in junk vehicles?

I see many online companies that pickup vehicles so I might as well ask here and cut to the chase. What companies have you dealt with and have gotten the most for your vehicle?

Be glad someone takes it off your hands and don't get too particular for your relic in rough shape..A local junk yard may give you enough to buy a few pizzas.

Wait for the next EV motivated iteration of this 'highly successful' program.

1708981899688.jpg

Outside the Beltway

Last edited:
Soooooo....it's not registered, inspected or insured? Or is it?
A few details always help.
Does it have the 4.0l SOHC V6 or the 3.0 liter?
Manual or automatic? 2WD or 4WD?

Charities say you'll get the value for which the vehicle was auctioned.
When they forget to send you a form, you can claim any amount on your tax return....provided you itemize.
Then you can be audited.

Get back to us with some details.
Until then, I suggest offering the vehicle on a Ranger forum -as a sale or even a gift- would get fast results.

ROUGHLY where is this vehicle located?

Four years ago my wife's RAV4's transmission broke at her office. With almost 400,000 miles on it, I called a couple local we buy junk car places. The first one started at $300. I said I'd think about it. They called back and offered $400. I told them another place already offered me $400 so they offered me $500. I told them $500 but they had to come get it same day. Other than parting it out and dealing with all that work and patience and storage, I'd call around and see what the junk car guys will offer.

Start calling junk yards and pick n pulls. I've gotten over $400 for the last few vehicles. The one near me wants them with the cats still there though

Soooooo....it's not registered, inspected or insured? Or is it?
A few details always help.
Does it have the 4.0l SOHC V6 or the 3.0 liter?
Manual or automatic? 2WD or 4WD?
4cyl 2.5
2WD
Auto

Registered and insured just to keep it legal on my property in case it rolled into the street or something. I had it towed to my house as I didn't trust the mechanicals. I had to take it in quickly because of the inheritance issue and sat on it for a few months.

Update: The interior is FULL of mold. It's like a petri dish in there, all kinds of colors.
This thing belong in a crusher or driven into a volcano with the science experiment going on inside. I prefer not to sell it to someone now, just a scrapper.

The previous owner must have sealed off the vents or something as I was noticing condensation on the inside of the windshield a few times this winter.

I'll give some of the online companies a call / fill out their forms and see what offers I get.

Do they give more than junkyards?
Its a donation to the foundation. You have to not care and just let them get what they can. There might have been a fixed tax receipt, but it was hardly worth dealing with it. Even if the amount might be $700, its not a direct amount taken away from your income tax. its much smaller than that.

Kidney foundation.JPG

Last edited:
After rating the vehicle in the worst condition, including flood damage for the moldy interior I got a pretty decent quote I would say.

Peddle.com: $390
Theclunkerjunker.com: $390
Cashautosalvage.com: $390

Looks like all these companies funnel their work into 1 entity.

I would check catalytic converter prices. Last converter i sold i got $550 for. You could sell the cats and then junk the car

Back