Amsoil Injector Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered some Amsoil Two Cycle injector oil from a friend that I want to try out. On the Amsoil website, Amsoil claims that the oil "meets and exceeds" the NMMA TC-W3 rating, yet I don not see the oil listed on NMMA's certification list:

www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/registeredoil.asp?bhcp=1

Any thoughts?
dunno.gif

I have used both products from both companies and the lack of certification
process had not caused any of my chainsaws or weedeaters to fail in over six years.

I have a little more expiereance with outboards than most people because I own a canadian fishing lodge that runs about 45 outbords. We used many differant oils at one time, but now will only run phillips injex. We never have had any problems with it and these motors are used more in three months than many people use them in 10 years.

Yes, quit often actually. I lived in marquette for five years and will be moving bak in march. E mail me if you want particulars.

I happen to know a insider at phillips that claims synjex was suppose to be marketed as a ecologicaly safe oil as it is highly biodegradable. It was te be colored blue and marketed as such. Seems someone changed there mind along the way and it got marketed toward the snowmobile market instead. He also commmented that the only advantage synjex has is it biodegradability. Other than that they are equal in performance.

I believe Phillips Injex is a polyisobutylene-based 2-cycle. This is a synthetic hydrocarbon
that burns without residue and with little smoke.

As I stated earlier, this base is a competititor to the polyol-based esters used in Amsoil's and other's formulae.

[ November 08, 2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Molakule, To the best of my knowledge injex and synjex do not have any PIB in their formulations. Phillips projex is a PIB blend however. I dont think that any TCW3 oils use PIB because tcw3 doesnt have a low smoke test and the cleanliness standards are very easy to pass.

Texas tdi, If you know anything about two cyle lubricants you will know that it is impossible for a oil to pass tc and jaso fc while still passing tcw3. Tcw3 fluids are ashless. TC and FC ar not for starters. Just another case of amsoil claiming they meet specs they do not.

quote:

Originally posted by ben walker:
Texas tdi, If you know anything about two cyle lubricants you will know that it is impossible for a oil to pass tc and jaso fc while still passing tcw3. Tcw3 fluids are ashless. TC and FC ar not for starters. Just another case of amsoil claiming they meet specs they do not.

APPLICATION RECOMMENDATIONS - AIO INJECTOR OIL

AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil (AIO) is recommended for use in all summer and winter two-cycle injector applications and for pre-mix applications at 50:1 mix ratios. Use AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil wherever TC-W3 or API TC oils are specified in water-cooled or air-cooled motors. AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil is recommended for all two-cycle injector applications, including outboard motors, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs and personal watercraft. AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil is compatible with and recommended for two-cycle applications using catalytic converters.

AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil is compatible with other synthetic and petroleum TC-W3 type oils and may be mixed with them. It is recommended for use with gasoline fuels only.

quote:

Originally posted by Andy H:
Hey Ben,

Do they have to be ashless? What's the deal here?

Andy

TCW3 fluids must use ashless additive packages. ISO EGD/TC fluids must use low ash additve packages. Therefor counter to what scamsoil says it is impossible to be compatible with both specs. Amsoil isnt certified by iso or the nmma fwiw. So in effect your warranty is null and void by the oem if you use it in your boat.

Texas tdi, Thanks for regurgitating a amsoil sales flyer. See above comments.

[ December 24, 2002, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: ben walker ]

Gentle Ben, is the following a true statement:
confused.gif

TCW-3 oils are a compromise formula designed with environmental impact considerations first and foremost. If you run a high performance, high RPM or high-load 2-cycle application and you do not HAVE to run TCW-3, you should not. You will have better luck (engine durability) with a high performance 2-cycle oil which is not limited by the constraints of TCW-3.

dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I havn't found the the exact spec for the TC-W3, but from what my limited mind can comprehend that the test is a performance based test. Does that mean they could use Dog Sh*t if it passed the test??

quote:

The tests include varied bench tests for fluidity, lubricity, viscosity, etc., plus the oil must meet minimum ring sticking and carbon build up on pistons in engine tests. The engine tests include one OMC 40 hp, one OMC 70 hp, and two consecutive Mercury 15 hp tests. The tests are run for 100 hours each and the engines are stopped every ten hours for inspection. The chemical make up of the TC-W3 oils vary due to the various additive packages involved with each oil brand. Accordingly, it's a performance based qualifications program. The process is very involved and expensive, but worth the outcome for consumers and manufacturers.
]http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/index.asp?bhcp=1

It seems to me that when I look at 2 cycle oils there are a lot that are certified for dual use of watercraft and non-watercraft.

[ December 24, 2002, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

I believe that the AIO passes the test, or else Amsoil would be liable for misreprenting their products.

Same goes for the ATF, they came out with a Universal ATF. It passes the Test for Mercon, and Mercon V.(Independantly) so there is no reason why they can't put that on the container!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back