Amsoil EAO filter Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Just completed the "blotter test" on my Sequoia with 150,000+ miles on the engine. The Mobil 1 has the same appearance as with Mobil 1 filters, so I do not see a huge appearance difference with EaO vs. Mobil 1. However, the proof of performance will be in the particle count numbers soon to follow.......
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Thankyou George,
I look forward to your particle counts. Do you think that several back to back tests would change the results? I am thinking that residual particles from previous runs, may skew the results some.

He'll be 1500 older on the oil ..that's about it. Not a perfect test ..but you should be able to figure it out.

Gary, not a "perfect" test but I don't think too bad, either. At 1500 miles with the OEM oil filter, the system should have attained some level of equilibrium. Thus the particle count should have direct relevance to the 1500 mile EaO sample; again, the system should have some level of equilibrium established. And then I will go on to the 10,000 mile level where we can compare the OEM vs. the Eao at that final level. Between the 4 particle counts, there should be some meaningful information. Not enough to write a paper for 427, but I am most anxious to see how the new EaO fares..

Lay it all out for us George.
driving.gif

Oh ..I'm sure the data will be enlightening. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I'm looking forward to your results.

Quote:

Mobil 1 filters are a microglass/cellulose blend filter which is vastly superior to cellulose only but as in the chain with the weakest link, we are still stuck with the deficiencies of paper. Mobil, as with Amsoil, do not actually manufacture the filters they market, so are beholding to the manufacturer's filter medium capabilities and use. Since Champion is not currently manufacturing any full synthetic automotive/truck medium filters, neither will Mobil. But if a market for very high quality synthetic medium develops, then I am sure Mobil/Champion will move forward to begin marketing them.
This nano-fiber (these names!) *Looks* good but the "rest of the story" will be in its performance numbers... Which I am most anxious to see; I should have my 1,500 miles on by early next week. And yes, I will share all of my results.
Again, I am NOT an Amsoil distributor nor have any affiliation with Amsoil. But if there is a better oil filter, it makes no difference to me who makes it... I will use it...

George,
I hope what you said about other companies not making a synthetic oil filter turns out to not be true. Look how they all jumped on the synthetic oil wagon. How widespread do you think a small company like Amsoil can make these filters? Even some BITOGERS disagree on how good the Eao really is, $12 FER AN EARL FILTUH! You must be nuts! For two bucks I can get an high quality orange can
laugh.gif
that filters out 100% of all the bugs and leaves sucked past my K&N.

Harry, I could not have said it better! High level oil filtration is one of the most important aspects of engine, or any fluid system, maximum life. How anyone could chince on this most important component is completely beyond me. But I see the same thinking in industry. I recently surveyed a large steel plant that uses water glycol as its hydraulic fluid (fire potential) and all of their inline filters were cellulose. Cellulose filters break down almost immediately when they see water anything. And in short order are not only NOT filters but contribute to system contamination. Yet the purchasing agent ruled that NO ONE was allowed to purchase any filter but these Vickers cellulose elements. (called cheap) Yet the filters were actually causing system failures and shutdowns..
It took a lot of writing and convincing but they saw the light and the poor purchasing agent saw the road....
Sorry for the long story but this story just completed itself last week with the plant replacing all of the cellulose elements with microglass elements.. :)
So, it just isn't in the automotive section that the "stepping over dollars to save pennies" exists.

Quote:

Harry, I could not have said it better! High level oil filtration is one of the most important aspects of engine, or any fluid system, maximum life. How anyone could chince on this most important component is completely beyond me. But I see the same thinking in industry. I recently surveyed a large steel plant that uses water glycol as its hydraulic fluid (fire potential) and all of their inline filters were cellulose. Cellulose filters break down almost immediately when they see water anything. And in short order are not only NOT filters but contribute to system contamination. Yet the purchasing agent ruled that NO ONE was allowed to purchase any filter but these Vickers cellulose elements. (called cheap) Yet the filters were actually causing system failures and shutdowns..
It took a lot of writing and convincing but they saw the light and the poor purchasing agent saw the road....
Sorry for the long story but this story just completed itself last week with the plant replacing all of the cellulose elements with microglass elements.. :)
So, it just isn't in the automotive section that the "stepping over dollars to save pennies" exists.

Pay me now or pay me later.

I'm for now.
cheers.gif

George,
I totally agree that engine filtration is paramount. I am thinking that when this nanofiber technology, or whatever you want to call it, catches on, there will be a rush to flood the market with finer filtering spinons than are now available (Eao excepted). You touched on a very important item when you talked about the self destructive tendencies of celulose filter medias. Not only is the filtering ability of these filter want to be's at best suspect, but the fact that they deteriorate with usage, should be eye opening for all those trying to save a dollar on cheap filters. In the long and short run, these filters make absolutely no sense.

I would switch to the Amsoil oil filter but I have one concern about them: the Ea011 Filter has a dome end relief valve, the Ford Racing oil filter I am using has it at base end of the filter which is what Ford recommends for all 4.6 modular engines. Why does Amsoil insist on having the dome end relief valve when the Ford specs say a proper oil filter for a modular engine should have it at the base end of the filter?

Quote:

I would switch to the Amsoil oil filter but I have one concern about them: the Ea011 Filter has a dome end relief valve, the Ford Racing oil filter I am using has it at base end of the filter which is what Ford recommends for all 4.6 modular engines. Why does Amsoil insist on having the dome end relief valve when the Ford specs say a proper oil filter for a modular engine should have it at the base end of the filter?

The Eao filter hardly ever goes into bypass mode, it is very transparent to oil flow. The bypass valve location may not be that important using this filter. How about all you filter gurus, do you think the location of the bypass valve in the Eao filter makes such a great difference? George?

Someone needs to show me, rather than tell me, the Ford Spec. that says the bypass valve should be at the base of the filter.

Well since all the Motorcraft oil filters have the bypass valve at the base of the filter as well as the Ford Racing oil filter I use, it would seem they have that design for a reason.

It does seem like an oddity with Ford OEM stuff. Obviously, they don't demand the bypass valve to be on the open end in filters spec'd (permitted) for use on their engines.

I also, personally, don't buy any of the rhetoric in terms of liability of the dome end bypass. Everyone envisions some Tsunami-like SHOCK WAVE sweeping over the media ...carrying with it every piece of khrap that the media has snagged. Some just don't get the notion that the entire exterior of the filter is at the same pressure and that very little flow is going to go via the bypass. The 8-12lbs is pushing just as hard on the media a split second before the bypass opens AND THE ENTIRE TIME IT'S IN BYPASS. The flow is still moving through the media at every available pour.

I've searched the internet, but can't really find any authoritative rhetoric that bridges opinion into fact. I would think if this was an issue of consequence, that every filter manufacturer would avoid it like the plague. Yet ..we see Purolator and, IIRC, all Champs, and others who employ this in their manufacturing/assembly.

...but I do understand you pondering it a bit...

Quote:

It does seem like an oddity with Ford OEM stuff. Obviously, they don't demand the bypass valve to be on the open end in filters spec'd (permitted) for use on their engines.

I also, personally, don't buy any of the rhetoric in terms of liability of the dome end bypass. Everyone envisions some Tsunami-like SHOCK WAVE sweeping over the media ...carrying with it every piece of khrap that the media has snagged. Some just don't get the notion that the entire exterior of the filter is at the same pressure and that very little flow is going to go via the bypass. The 8-12lbs is pushing just as hard on the media a split second before the bypass opens AND THE ENTIRE TIME IT'S IN BYPASS. The flow is still moving through the media at every available pour.

I've searched the internet, but can't really find any authoritative rhetoric that bridges opinion into fact. I would think if this was an issue of consequence, that every filter manufacturer would avoid it like the plague. Yet ..we see Purolator and, IIRC, all Champs, and others who employ this in their manufacturing/assembly.

...but I do understand you pondering it a bit...

Remember, the new Eao filter while filtering to lower micron level than the competition, is very transparent to oil flow, probably making the bypass valve unnecessary, and certainly, it's location not at all important as it will hardly ever be used.

Quote:

Gary, not a "perfect" test but I don't think too bad, either. At 1500 miles with the OEM oil filter, the system should have attained some level of equilibrium. Thus the particle count should have direct relevance to the 1500 mile EaO sample; again, the system should have some level of equilibrium established. And then I will go on to the 10,000 mile level where we can compare the OEM vs. the Eao at that final level. Between the 4 particle counts, there should be some meaningful information. Not enough to write a paper for 427, but I am most anxious to see how the new EaO fares..

I think you'll find that it's the best filtering filter ever to come down the pike.
cheers.gif

Quote:

George said it all, I think everyone should try this filter at least once to see what all the hoopla is about, I know a pleasant suprise is in store for those that do. If you care about your vehicle, or if you just want the best filter now available, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.
cheers.gif

how would this filter, along with MC 5W-20 make out?
thinking about 5k OCI's and run the filter for 15k.
20K?
25K?
+++?

Quote:

how would this filter, along with MC 5W-20 make out?
thinking about 5k OCI's and run the filter for 15k.
20K?
25K?
+++?

I'm thinking conservatively 15,000 would easily be attained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back