Amsoil EAO filter Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Amsoil specs say this filter will filter out 15 microns
at 98.7% efficiency and 50% at 7 microns. Does anyone care to speculate what these filters will do at 8,9,10,11,12,13,14 microns?

Not super good according to the mercruiser oil filter bubble tests . The Amsoil filter like the Donaldson,Fleetguard models are designed for long oil change intervals so they catch and hold lots of stuff.

Quote:

Not super good according to the mercruiser oil filter bubble tests . The Amsoil filter like the Donaldson,Fleetguard models are designed for long oil change intervals so they catch and hold lots of stuff.

The Mercruiser test did not even include the AMSOIL Ea filters so it is kind of difficult to judge how they performed by that test.

I can't wait for the results Pablo. Do you have any idea how well the EAO filter fares at the smaller than 7 micron level?

I'm still working on the EAO bubble point (pore size) testing. I'm testing it to the same protocol and same test fluids that I used in the Mercruser test. I should have time to finish it at the end of the week.

OK Guys sorry about the delays but the results are in.
The EAO filter is the best spin oil filter that I've tested to date, regarding filtration.

I used the same testing method that I outlined in the Grease oil filter study where I bubble point tested the media with glycerol and 40w oil. Both measurements were a little trickyer to get consistent measurements. I had to degas the solutions prior to use otherwise I had microbubbles in the solution that threw off the measurements. The reason is the smaller pore size of the media required more attention to detail.

Results are:
FIlter Largest Pore Smallest pore measurement
AMSOil EAO 30µm 10µm
Pure 1 in 2004 42µm 10µm
Fram TG in 2004 41µm 15µm

Thanks for the info. Very nice work!

Quote:

regarding filtration

By chance, do you have any info/testing on filter flow? I'd really like to see what the flow is with the better filtration.

Quote:

Does this make Amsoil EAO oil filters better than Purolator PureONE oil filters?

Abalooootly!

Less Restriction
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have significantly lower restriction than conventional cellulose media filters. Their small synthetic nanofibers trap smaller particles and hold more contaminants, resulting in lower restriction. During cold temperature warm-up periods, an EaO lube filter allows the oil to easily flow through the filter compared to a typical cellulose filter. Lower restriction decreases engine wear.

More Claps Please
throwroses.sml

As example, a 3 micron beta 200 microglass element has less restriction than a 30 micron paper element. Filter paper manufacture is not an exact science. In many paper elements, as much as 40% of the filter may not pass oil at all, thus reducing contaminant holding capacity and increasing flow resistance. Conversely, a "manufactured" microglass element can flow thorugh 100% of its area which results in considerably increased contaminant capacity along with lower DP/resistance compared with a paper filter medium.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

offtopic.gif
George! Can you make it over to the oil section and give us any updates on the ex-Mobil 1 testing? There are a lot of folks who are anxious to know where it stands. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.
smile.gif
offtopic.gif

Can we give this a REST?

WE ALL have to make a living, and are subject to our employers.....99% of us would do what our employer request of us.

I for one like to hear what George has to say...he is an asset to this board.

Thanks Schultz, could you share more of the raw data and flow readings? Bypass valve activation, frequency etc?

Your data, if accurate confirms what I am seeing in hundreds of oil analysis results in on the road engines.

The efficiency is not what is remarkable to me, its the potential of not being in bypass and flowing AND filtering lubricant all the time. Making a basic FF oil filters a unique contributor to improved performance instead of a liability or a simple safety net for the big stuff when its not in bypass.

Why I have changed my mind about FF filter media when this one hit the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back