Amsoil EAO filter Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry will love this.

Did on OC on my 05 Vibe today with Havoline 5W-30 synthetic, hey it was on sale at Big Lots, and an EAO10 filter.

Normally I prefill my filters but this time all I did was fill it about 1/4 full, just enough to get the media saturated.

Hit the key and the oil light was out before I could blink, no engine clatter.

Quote:

According to site, VIIs can have a molecular weight of 25K to over 1 million.

Even if you assume a molecular weight of a 1,000,000 for every VII molecule, which is being very generous...if you divide by the molecular weight of a typical monomer, 100, you end up with a polymer 10,000 monomers in length. Now assuming two carbon bonds as the length of the typical of a monomer, you end up with 30,000 Angstroms or 3 microns. However, the monomer bond angles are not "straight" which changes things substantially. If you run the numbers, I believe you'll find the displacement length to be in the hundredths of microns. In other words, imagine a strand of hair off your head (assume you have an afro) being captured by a pore the size of a garage door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_coil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_chain
http://www.polymerchemistryhypertext.com/EndToEndDistance.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_methacrylate

Note that in the first link it shows that polymers are a "statistical coil", not long strands of numerous branches as many imagine.

Thanks for the info 427. I'm not going to pretend that I understand all of that, but it looks like the VII polymers can take on any kind of shape, which will vary their overall size considerably. When people were talking about VII coils, I was thinking of a DNA type helix that would compress and open like a spring.

So I guess that these random coils do open up (get larger) when hot, but in much more random/odd shapes?

Quote:

So I guess that these random coils do open up (get larger) when hot, but in much more random/odd shapes?

Yes. But even when I gave the worst case imaginable, where the polymer is totally unwound and stretched straight, and it's still only 3 microns long in that example. And as far as I know, the polymers in question wouldn't behave in such a manner in the real world.

Quote:

As I previously mentioned, the EaO is essentially a superb 10 micron filter and would not be affecting VI improver.. VI improver stripping has only occurred with real 1 and 3 micron absolute microglass filters. I have never seen a particle count for even the toilet paper by-pass filtration units that indicated a 3 micron beta 1000 level of filtration.. Yes, they filter down to 1 micron but not very effectively... Thus little or no affect on VI improvers..

Bottom line, VI improver stripping is absolutely no issue with the Amsoil EaO filters from my experience..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Thankyou George, now I can sleep tonight
laugh.gif

It's good to hear that the Eao can be considered a 10 micron filter, a filter better than advertised......naw, never happen
laugh.gif

George, do you have ant idea how efficient the Eao is at below the claimed 50% at 7 microns?

Harry
driving.gif

Quote:

Harry will love this.

Did on OC on my 05 Vibe today with Havoline 5W-30 synthetic, hey it was on sale at Big Lots, and an EAO10 filter.

Normally I prefill my filters but this time all I did was fill it about 1/4 full, just enough to get the media saturated.

Hit the key and the oil light was out before I could blink, no engine clatter.

Good going Carl!
I'll bet you were very pleased. I am thinking, that with the Eao, it doesn't make any difference if you prefill or partially prefill. Having said that, I would prefill if it was possible, but an oil bath is something I can do without
laugh.gif

If you ever try the 0W-30 oil, I would be interested in hearing how it compares to the Havoline 5W-30.
When I first experienced the oil light just winking on and off, I said wow, look at that, but I really was saying to myself, now what's wrong, geeze, it had never done that before. Of course, being the oil and filter nut thay I am, I always moniter the oil light on startup. I have never, NEVER seen the light go out so fast. Almost instant pressure, has to be the Eao as I have been using the 0W-30 for some time.

Harry
driving.gif

Quote:

427: Does the 20 angstrom size sound about right for an oil molecule with ~240 molecular weight?

I didn't do the calculations, but I'll say this. Anyone who says they are stripping VII is a wacko.

Re: "Anyone who says they are stipping VI improver is a wacko.". That would be me 427... Thank you for the kind words.... I am outa here.........
To contribute to a site where name calling, negativism, and snide comments are acceptable, not worth the aggravation and certainly not pleasurable.. No human being should be addressed in such a manner...
Adios..

Quote:

Re: "Anyone who says they are stipping VI improver is a wacko.". That would be me 427... Thank you for the kind words.... I am outa here.........
To contribute to a site where name calling, negativism, and snide comments are acceptable, not worth the aggravation and certainly not pleasurable.. No human being should be addressed in such a manner...
Adios..

I'll be the first to point out that 427 can be abrasive, but in this case it appears to me the "they" he is referring to are the Amsoil oil filters. I read his statement as "Anyone who says these filters are stripping VI improver is wacko," which would mean (1) he's not calling anyone names (except anyone who would say the filter strips out VI improver; and (2) he is agreeing with George in that these filter do not strip out VI improver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back