All terrain Tires - What to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
cooper discoverer AT/3

One of the best AT tires at the best price.

I just bought a set for the truck. I hope it lives up to the near 100% satisfaction rates and tests I have read about.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I'd give these a try.

Better be careful posting links to retreads! I'm sure you know how that always turns out here ...

Treadwright has a good product. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Agree on the DuraTrac.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
And I plan on having them siped at the dealer.

No. Absolutely not.

Agreed. Just buy the correct tire in the first place.

Personally, I think the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A is a good blend. It looks a little more off-road than it realy is. I suggested this tire to a friend's dad and he bought then for his '02 Silverado and loves them. (STL area - weather wise).

BFG Rugged Terrain T/A

Last edited:
My Colorado has the factory Eaton G80 locker in the rear.

One poster says sipes are bad for off roading[chunking], another says only for off roading.....
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

I think the point both posters meant was.. Additional siping is only needed on a hardcore off road tire. But when done to a hardcore off road tire it ruines its abilities off road as well.

So don't buy a tire that needs siping unless you intend to spend a lot of time off road, which it sounds like you don't intend to.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
voided manufacturers warranty.

Buy tires thru Discount Tire[for example]. Discount Tire sipes tires. Warranty issue arises. I take truck back to Discount Tire, who siped the tires. Do you think DT would say no warranty due to THEIR siping?

I actually think they would.. It wouldn't surprise me if they had you sign something to allow them to do the work saying that you're voiding the warranty.

I usually put 3-4 60 lb sandbags over the rear axle for the winter.

If you have never been in the Seattle area when is snows, you have not experienced snow turning to ice within an hour. I grew up in upstate NY, and I know snow, and how to drive in it. Here, it is different. The snow is very wet, melts quickly, and freezes even quicker.

Right now I am looking at the GY Wrangler Duratracs. These have the snow symbol on them and are rated as such. Duratracs

If I do go with the LTX A/T2's again, I WILL get them siped. They do not have much siping to start with.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
Are you adding weight to the back of your truck for driving in mud and snow? if not that could be a big part of your problem. I have Michelin LTX/MS2s on my truck and they are amazing in snow, slush and rain. I would not say they are excellent in the mud, but I have never been stuck with them in either. I use 5 sand bags in the winter and when hunting I usually carry all of the gear, which is at least 300 pounds. I rarely have to put my truck in 4 wheel in the winter, but I always put it in 4 wheel before going off road.

I had Cooper Discoverer ATRs (discontinued now)on it before the Michelins. They were slightly better off road with their aggressive tread blocks, but were not as good in the slush and rain. I replaced them early because at a little over half worn, wet traction really suffered and they had to go. My truck sees about 90% highway use and if I am deep off road I am not alone, so I went with a highway tire this time. I have been happy with my choice.

My truck at work is a 2wd 1 ton Econoline cube van. It has Goodyear Wrangler HTs on it. We have a dirt field that has a few spots that turn to mud every time it rains. Unloaded it slips a bit but usually makes it through. Loaded it has no trouble at all. In the snow it really does well and they never plow the lot for us at night. Again weight helps a lot. It usually has between 500 and 2500 pounds in it, and it never sees pavement and never leaves the lot.

My friend has BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs on his Tacoma. They are great in the mud. I am usually behind him in the mud hunting, his truck is unloaded but also has a locker. They are good in deep snow but only fair in slush and heavy rain. He does not add weight for winter but does use 4 wheel when it snows or is slushy. I think his truck would do much better with a couple sand bags. He has 40k miles on them and they still look good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ccap41

One poster says sipes are bad for off roading[chunking], another says only for off roading.....
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

I think the point both posters meant was.. Additional siping is only needed on a hardcore off road tire. But when done to a hardcore off road tire it ruines its abilities off road as well.

So don't buy a tire that needs siping unless you intend to spend a lot of time off road, which it sounds like you don't intend to.

Local Les Schwab guy says siping is for on road traction. Off road, it helps, but tires actually wear faster and are more prone to chunking.

And given your advice, I will not be getting those BFG Rugged Terrains. I have read nothing but bad reviews about their snow performance. They definitely lack any real siping.

Last edited:

crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

Local Les Schwab guy says siping is for on road traction. Off road, it helps, but tires actually wear faster and are more prone to chunking.

And given your advice, I will not be getting those BFG Rugged Terrains. I have read nothing but bad reviews about their snow performance. They definitely lack any real siping.

Yes, you are correct. I didn't realize the weather you get was comparable to upstate NY..except with ice.. Ice is a scary animal. Very unpredictable.

Yes, siping is for on road traction but is only needed on a hardcore off road tire(with no siping - is what I was getting from the other post(I've never looked into those kinds of tires as I'm not an off roader)). That Goodyear a couple posts above this that I think you posted looks like it offers a good amount of siping for how blocky and off-road-like it appears to be.

crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

Yes, you are correct. I didn't realize the weather you get was comparable to upstate NY..except with ice.. Ice is a scary animal. Very unpredictable.

Yes, siping is for on road traction but is only needed on a hardcore off road tire(with no siping - is what I was getting from the other post(I've never looked into those kinds of tires as I'm not an off roader)). That Goodyear a couple posts above this that I think you posted looks like it offers a good amount of siping for how blocky and off-road-like it appears to be.

Yeah, I have never seen anything like it. Snow falls, hits the road, and it is just warm enough that it melts when driven on, but then freezes again almost instantly, causing ice. It is amazing to see miles of freeways lined with abandoned cars.

And snow removal equipment is not as prominent as it should be.

Just went down to the local Discount Tire at lunch and ordered 265/70-16 GY Wrangler Duratracs and new wheels.

That's a very sharp looking wheel! Is it a dark gunmetal-like color? Or more of a black/grey?

Also, curious, why'd you downsize the wheel/tire combo? I thought you were originally going to go with a 265/65r17?

Last edited:
It is a black grey wheel

Tires are cheaper next time around, and this time around. I was going to get new wheels anyway, so I went to a +1 size instead of a +2 size. I am keeping the 17" wheels in case I want to get dedicated snow tires.

Those look friggin sweet! Congrats on the purchase! Do you know when everything will be in? You should post some pics when they're on your truck.

Should be early next week. Pics will be posted once they are mounted.

Here is what they are going on

standard.jpg

Last edited:
No offence, But the new rims look 100X better to me. I'm just not a fan of the chrome lip on black wheels, but I LOVE solid black wheels. They will look really good on your truck, man! The matte finish will go with the matte fender flares, door handles, and mirrors..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back