Tires for a 22 ZR2

Almost at 2 years/21k miles on the Goodyear Duratrac tires. The tires have been fine, but I have nothing to compare them too either. I haven't measured the wear lately, but you can definitely tell they are not what they once were. I don't really know much about tires. The Duratracs are loud on the highway. I'm one that always drives 75-80mph on the highway, so I'm guessing that is why they're wearing a bit faster than expected.

I want a more street oriented tire that is quiet, better for fuel economy, great in rain with light off-road capability. Most guys with ZR2's go up a size and get something more aggressive due to the off-roading they do. My truck sees majority time on pavement and limited off-road use on beach and some trails. The thing about the ZR2 that I like is it's also great on road. Handles very well. So, a more street oriented tire I think is the way to go here in my situation.

I was leaning towards Michelin Defender.

I'm not too concerned with how they look either. I'm not after the BroDozer look.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty impressed with my Defenders so far. However, I would not say that they are off road anything. The do have the M&S rating, so I guess whatever that would get you. I haven't even put mine through snow yet as we didn't really have any last year, but this year is looking different.

I have 28,000 miles on mine from the past year of driving and have over half tread life left (don't have my notebook next to me to give exacts).

Thanks (y)

For beach and moderate trails, I won't need anything too aggressive.

Thanks (y)

For beach and moderate trails, I won't need anything too aggressive.
As @Rand noted, we ended up going with the Conti's because they were $700 less expensive than the Defender LTX, while having the same ratings on TireRack. We have been very impressed with them so far. They are quiet, phenomenal in the wet (unlike the GY rubber they replaced), and seem to be wearing well, despite our lead feet. No significant off-road experience beyond going to my buddy's hunting camp, but they handled that fine, along with wet boat ramps.

As @Rand noted, we ended up going with the Conti's because they were $700 less expensive than the Defender LTX, while having the same ratings on TireRack. We have been very impressed with them so far. They are quiet, phenomenal in the wet (unlike the GY rubber they replaced), and seem to be wearing well, despite our lead feet. No significant off-road experience beyond going to my buddy's hunting camp, but they handled that fine, along with wet boat ramps.
$700!!!!!!

It's about $150 more for the Defender LTX vs the TerrainContact H/T in the US right now.

What you're probably looking for is the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. The Michelin Defenders are not going to handle any offroading or deeper snow like a 3 mountain peak all terrain. Friend has a set (Defenders) on their S10 and while they're great in the rain or light snow, any little bit of slick mud or the like and I'm getting a phone call to get them out.

The Cooper Discoverer AT3's I put on my other Tacoma did fairly well. I plan on going with a set of Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek on my current truck, but that is probably more aggressive than what you need. I drive all rural routes so I need something a little more aggressive in the inclimate weather.

The General Grabber APT also looks like a good contender. It's not too aggressive and is 3 peak rated. Not to mention cost isn't too bad.

Several people have recommended the Yokohama A/T G015. I have these on our 4Runner. They have been nearly silent (Maybe a fraction louder then the Michelin Defender LTX M/S) Nieces husband has those on his same model of 4Runner. The G015's I have are E-rated, so much heavier than a P-rated version. But I wanted the extra toughness for 4wd trail durability.

Last year we had record snowfall, which they did well in. They have been great in rain, and they are vibration free. Which is saying something on a vehicle which is known to be sensitive to any tire imbalance.

IMG_20200417_172155.jpg

I have oem geolandar g015's on my forester wilderness.. I like them and if anything the aftermarket models are probably better.

Michelin a/t tires are also good tires that are great on the highway but not the best off-road. They did good in everything except mud and on wet smooth pavement, where abs would kick in under hard braking. Mine were like 9 years old when I got them, so maybe a less aged tire wouldn't be as hard.

And contrary to popular belief you can offroad on highway tires, just don't poke the sidewalls with rocks and avoid large mud holes.

If it was my truck, I’d look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Firestone Destination A/T2. Heard good things about the Yokohama G015 ATs. The Falken and Yokohamas are even used on the “adventure/wilderness” editions of the RAV4 and Outback - so they also need to somewhat meet OEM NVH specs. Nitto, ever wanting in on the latest trends introduced the Nomad Grappler - probably to target “adventure” crossovers.

For your use case the Michelin Defender LTX series checks off most of the boxes but its not a “all-terrain” tire and doesn’t look right with an “off-road” package(Z71/ZR2, FX4, etc).

Michelin a/t tires are also good tires that are great on the highway but not the best off-road.
We might have to agree to disagree on that one.. Michelin AT tires are a blemish on an otherwise above average tire lineup.
I would draw the line at calling them hot garbage.. but they are definitely below average at premium price.

Back