About Mobil1's Noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pure ones are restrictive also.. i have used toyota's oem filters for the past 3 oci's with reg m1 syn and its still tick tick tick tick tick.... i have the same oem filter with durablend now and its a much lower tick tick tck

My wife had an 01' Civic that spec'd 20 wt oils but it was slighly worn. At around 60K miles, I started feeding it M1 10W-30 for tens of thousands of miles. Noisy engine. I then used GC Gold...noisy engine. I then used Syntec 5W-40...noisy engine but in a different way. It had a low frequency "boom" sound to it...kind of like bass from a woofer. I think it was working much harder to pump the oil which changed the frequencies of the sounds coming from the engine. Then we sold the car so my mad experiments on the engine stopped.

some motors are loud esp with the ticking noise. the 3.4's yota v6's are noisy along with the little 4 cylinders in the corollas

I toss most stories of noise out the window because the placebo effect is huge. Startup noise is another matter. It can vary significantly from one oil to another in certain engines.

Placebo/subjective - yes - each time my wife thinks she hears something in the engine, I go out and I hear something in the engine - and then I stop paying attention and never notice it again (until the next time my wife "hears" something).

i drive about 55-80 miles a day and most of the time with the radio off. i like the hear the hum of the highway :).. and i can tell what my motor is doing and if something starts to make noise i can tell. if you drive something long enough you will notice

oh and btw, since i switched from M1 syn to durablend it idles smoother. i am curious if the vacuum effects are differnt running different oils?? just a thought

I know the filter might be one reason. But I always us FL400S. I just wondering if there are some full synthetic quieter than M1 and better than M1 except Amsoil. Because Amsoil is not easy to get in market.

for 5w-30 full synthetic,Which one is better?
Pennzoil
Quaker state
Castrol Syntec
Valvoline Synpower

My understanding (from post of days gone by) was that Valv. Syn. is Grp IV/V. It's been a while since I've seen that info - plse correct me if it's mis-info.

Just got this off of Valv.'s web site (FAQ area) -

IS SynPower a full synthetic? Is SynPower motor oil PAO or ester based?
Yes, SynPower is 100% synthetic. Synpower uses a proprietary combination of various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance.

Sounds like M1's line - so perhaps SynPower is Grp III & IV/V mixed - otherwise it seems they would've claimed IV/V - and it they had no IV/V in SynPower - I doubt they would've posted this question on their FAQ. (All conjecture here I realize.)

I don't know what it is. You're the one that stated definitively that it isn't group III.Since I'm using Synpower in my wifes van I would just like to read the data you used to make that conclusion.

I've read that on Valvolines website but it doesn't answer my question. What data do you have to make a conclusive statement that it's not group III? Please share it.

" proprietary combination of various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance."

Valvoline no doubt has access to a variety of IV/V base oils (as M1 does) - why would they leave these out of their ONE premiere product. If you don't put your ace card in your premiere product - what do you do, sit around and admire it on the laboratory shelf?

Once again, if you're Castrol and you don't use grp IV/V - then I don't think you put this point blank question (w/ an answer of "combination") on your web site.

IMHO, it's safe to say SynPower is Grp IV/V to some %.

I have no idea what they sit around and admire. You said it isn't group III. I asked what it is and you won't/can't answer. I thought it was a simple question that you could provide an answer based on facts and not speculation but I guess you can't.Thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back