2015 Impala 3.6L oil recommendation

Picked up this 10th gen Impala with 80K miles and the oil has been religiously changed at 5-7K miles with synthetic Dexos 5W-30 but varying brands.

Engine has no noises even when starting cold, very quiet and doesn't leak.

I would like to go with a single brand, either Amsoil, Mobil1, or Redline, open to other suggestions.

I plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile as it's in near pristine shape.

Trans fluid was also replaced at 45K which was nice to see.

My first GM 3.6, so curious to what others have used.

Well GM has a deal with Mobil 1 as their oil supplier, so a factory fill actually has Mobil 1 under the AC Delco name unless there is some kind of change that I am unaware of. Obviously Mobil 1 is readily available almost everywhere.

I personally am a Quakerstate guy but due to shortages at least in my area due to supplier issues I have grabbed Mobil 1 High Mileage for my oil change.

Nothing wrong with Amsoil or Redline other than the prices are really high, out of what you have listed I would go with the Mobil 1.

Last edited:
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI - bought new, has 201k miles now. Mobil 1 from day 1. Switched to Mobil 1 High Mileage arround the 90k mark. Opened the motor up at 175k to change high pressure pump and intake gaskets and the motor was like brand new inside. I run 5-7k mile OCIs

Use anything you want to be honest. Me being me I'd get Quaker state euro 5w-40 since it's a great value or just plain 5/10w-30. I'd change at what the olm states to do, can't ever go wrong.

Well GM has a deal with Mobil 1 as their oil supplier, so a factory fill actually has Mobil 1 under the AC Delco name unless there is some kind of change that I am unaware of. Obviously Mobil 1 is readily available almost everywhere.

I personally am a Quakerstate guy but due to shortages at least in my area due to supplier issues I have grabbed Mobil 1 High Mileage for my oil change.

Nothing wrong with Amsoil or Redline other than the prices are really high, out of what you have listed I would go with the Mobil 1.
the full synthetic, AC Delco Dexos 1 Gen 3 fill at your dealership is not Mobil 1 unless they say it's Mobil 1...it is (or should be) a Mobil full synthetic product, just not Mobil 1...when the dealerships provide Mobil 1 oil, they call that out by name (at least around dealerships in ChicagoLand)...

...I've used Mobil 1 ( but have tried a few others) mostly in several 3.6 based engines from GM without issue since 2012 (and 2001 for other GM engines)

good luck with your choice

Bill

Thanks for the replies, wasn't sure if the DI engine, or the 3.6 in general, had a different oil analysis history that would favor specific oils.

Couldn't imagine they would, but never know.

I will keep it business as usual with my other vehicles.

I have a gm 3.6 in a holden commodore as my daily driver. I beat on it all the time even with high mileage and it has given me no engine issues at all. I use Mobil 1 5w30 every 5k kms (3k miles) however cleaning pcv out making sure it's functioning and isn't gummed up which is why these engines sludge and then eventual oil pressure problems leading to timing chain failure. The ones I have looked after have all gone 300-400k kms on original chains.

1680872729663.jpeg

‘12 GM 3.6 on nothing but dealer bulk and Valvoline Maxlife SynBlend

cleaning pcv out making sure it's functioning and isn't gummed up which is why these engines sludge and then eventual oil pressure problems leading to timing chain failure.
I will look into the PCV system and inspect it.

Was 2012 the year GM addressed the timing chain issue? Maybe not as a complete fix but an improvement at least?

That being said, I will continue with the OCI's of 5K miles max on full syn.

I will look into the PCV system and inspect it.

Was 2012 the year GM addressed the timing chain issue? Maybe not as a complete fix but an improvement at least?

That being said, I will continue with the OCI's of 5K miles max on full syn.
They never got addressed lol

They never got addressed lol
In 2012, GM went from the 7.7mm pitch chain to the 9.5mm pitch. I don't know if anything else was addressed.

Does this cure the problem? I don't know, may at least minimize stretching especially with consistent oil maintenance.

When I searched for mine, I made sure there was documentation of every oil change within an acceptable amount of time/mileage.

I made sure to listen to the engine when stone cold and after driving for 20-30 min....it was silent.

Fingers crossed all is good!.

In 2012, GM went from the 7.7mm pitch chain to the 9.5mm pitch. I don't know if anything else was addressed.

Does this cure the problem? I don't know, may at least minimize stretching especially with consistent oil maintenance.

When I searched for mine, I made sure there was documentation of every oil change within an acceptable amount of time/mileage.

I made sure to listen to the engine when stone cold and after driving for 20-30 min....it was silent.

Fingers crossed all is good!.
True. With my 08 CTS the timing chains were done at 51k miles with revised chain kit. I am at 201k miles now and still good so whatever it was fixed it.

Any oil that is dexos certified will suffice. I prefer Quaker State, as the price and performance is there. Most oils are the same nowadays with varying additive packages.

For your filter, NAPA Gold (Wix) is your best but sticking with OEM ACDelco is completely fine as well.

Picked up this 10th gen Impala with 80K miles and the oil has been religiously changed at 5-7K miles with synthetic Dexos 5W-30 but varying brands.

Engine has no noises even when starting cold, very quiet and doesn't leak.

I would like to go with a single brand, either Amsoil, Mobil1, or Redline, open to other suggestions.

I plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile as it's in near pristine shape.

Trans fluid was also replaced at 45K which was nice to see.

My first GM 3.6, so curious to what others have used.
Mobil 1 5w30 will be fine for that Impala

Back