About Mobil1's Noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that a lot of people complained that the engine noise is louder when they use Mobil1 full synthetic oil. I also notice when I switch from Castol GTX 5w-30 to Mobil1 5w-30 synthetic in 2004.
I just wondering If Mobil1 still has this issue? I checked Mobil1 5w-30 thickness:
cSt @ 40º C 64.8 cSt @ 100º C 11.3
It looks thicker than Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30:
cSt @ 40º C 57.5 cSt @ 100º C 10.3
If you tried both of them, Could you please tell me which one is quieter? Which is better?
Thanks.

I feel PP is better. You'll hear great things about on this site.

I'll take a shot at it (not nesc. based on reality) - a somewhat wild shot -

You've got GTX dino oil.

You've got M1 (in 2004 M1 was 100% grp IV, V - and may still be.)

From the day the grp IVs came out, the word in every mouth seemed to be "this stuff is just more slippery than dino". SO, regardless of viscosity, if "slippery" can translate into engine slap of some sort, then this may be it.

PP is 100% grp III. From my readings you've got a good chance of having decreased noise if you go to PP (for those having noise with M1). Could we assume a linear trend of slipperyness from grp II, III, and IV/V ?

Drawing my theory out a bit further - I've seen a handful of post where people claimed less engine noise when going from Mobil 1 to PP (grp IV/V to grp III). But has anyone experienced, or read, where less noise was noted when going from M1 to another grp IV/V oil? Note, I've never read a post where Amsoil was quieter compared to M1 - but even if these do exist, this is tricky because Amsoil has significantly higher viscosity than M1 across their product line.

So, if someone can show me where a grp IV/V oil decreased the noise level compared to M1 - and the viscosities were similar - then this will give credence to "the M1 product causes noise in some engines". Otherwise, the M1 additive system and base oil may not be at fault.

Quote:

But has anyone experienced, or read, where less noise was noted when going from M1 to another grp IV/V oil?

Sure. Going from M1 5w-30 to GC 0w-30 has quieted my engine down. At least that's my subjective observation. On a related note, my mpg has dropped (gotten worse) by about 2 mpg as well.

OK, Merkava, forget the "slippery" term. Let's just consider grp II and grp IIIs compared to grp IVs of similar viscosities. Note, PP is similar in visc. to M1 - the difference is the base oil, and the additive system.

Pete, GC 0w-30 is one of the thickest 30 wts (if I remember correctly it's visc=12 at 100degC - that's nearing 40 wt territory) on the market. This could account for your experience.

If The Mobil1 5w-30 is group III now, is the viscosities the same as group IV before. Does group III Mobil1 still has the noise issue?

Quote:

OK, Merkava, forget the "slippery" term. Let's just consider grp II and grp IIIs compared to grp IVs of similar viscosities. Note, PP is similar in visc. to M1 - the difference is the base oil, and the additive system.

So now you're saying that you think Group IV oils are noisier? If that were the case, wouldn't Redline and Royal Purple be noisier too.
confused.gif

We're talking about less than 1 cSt difference here. Is it really that significant?

But actually the engine got more quiet when cold. I don't recall the cSt difference betw. M1 5w-30 and GC at 40 deg. C, at the moment though. When hot, I have not noticed much difference.

M1's "problem" here may indeed be that they have one of the thinner grp IV/V 30 wts on the market. So there's all these folks running 30 wts - they're having some noise - they had a quieter engine with dino (as claimed above with the GTX) - and with the grp III dinos, or they go to heavier grp IV/Vs and it gets quiet.

Quote:

Quote:

So now you're saying that you think Group IV oils are noisier? If that were the case, wouldn't Redline and Royal Purple be noisier too.
confused.gif

Merkava, all we need is some posts stating that (eg) "I was using M1 and I went to Redline and it got quiet" - where the Redline had similar visc. to the M1 they were using. Show me this and my argument is cornered. The only post I've seen pertain to M1 vs. PP. In fact, I think I've seen post for PP that weren't M1 users - they just said "I started using PP and this thing got quiet" (if I remember correctly).

Valvetrain noise is bad. Can we agree on that?
Therefore, it makes sense to stay away from ANYTHING that causes it.
let me ask you this. If you got valvetrain noise everytime you pumped at a particular gas station (just hypo.) would you keep pumping gas there?
The best oil is the one that yields the best UOA in YOUR application and gives minimal to NO engine noise.
From my experience, i will no longer run Mobil 1. The UOAs are not even near impressive, i've seen much better, cheaper oils produce lower wear metals and not cause any engine chatter.
It seems to me, if you switched to mobil and you heard the diffrence..it makes more sense to not use it.

Leshan, from the limited post I've seen, you should seriously consider PP if you're having engine noise with M1. Chances appear to be that you'll have good results.

I have read here that someone said it's because of Mobil1's additive package. But I can not remember what exactly is it.

Quote:

Quote:

That's interesting. Nobody to believe.

That's the only rhyme or reason I can come up with since usually a thinner oil will cause more noise. Emphasis on usually, not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back