9MM Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget?

I like the 19. Don't care that much for the 17, personally.

For plastic guns, the Walther P 99 AS is not a lot more money, and quite a bit better gun, imo, than the Glocks.

If you want metal, CZ 75 is a lot of gun for the money. The Hi Power is nice also, but more money, and might not be the best starter semi auto.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I own the following 9mm pistols: Beretta 92FS,.

One of my first CC weapons, loved it very much. Dont currently own one however its on my short list of pistols to buy again. I own alot of Guns, never before have i held a gun that felt as good as the Beretta 92.. I esp like the LEO version hammerless no safety.

Im honestly not a Fan of the look of my Glocks, however im in complete agreement, the Glock is a workhorse and i trust my life to mine.

couple others that have never left me hanging ((worth Honerable mention)

H&K USP .45
&
Springfield armory 1911

Blackhawk CQC holsters..

Were budget not a concern, then H&K makes a fine pistol. I've put 10s of thousands of rounds through my USP Compact...but it's a .40.

In 9mm, with the tritium sights, it would make an excellent home defense choice....but it's pretty expensive....

Home defense and first handgun: go full size that fits you best. You will have better control at the range, and less recoil. Same goes in a defensive situation should you need it. Trying to build skills on a carry gun or compromise in between is going to slow things and frustrate you.

I'd look hard at the cz75 variants and browning HighPower. Always buy quality. Cheap guns are not worth the savings. If you decide to go glock/xd/m&p/sr just go for the duty version. What ever feels best. Shoot as much as you can before you buy.

You can add a carry gun later. In winter almost anyone can conceal a full size pistol. There is no 'one gun to do it all'. So don't try to compromise now. Get the best full size gun you can afford that fits you and master it's operation. Then get a carry gun later, and a midsize after that. Then a gun for the wife... Enjoy the journey!

My full size H&K .45 is my weapon of choice at tactical courses & speed shoots.. bullets always seem to find the mark.. Love those guns.. However im with you.. not cheap..

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Going to buy my first semi-auto pistol in 9MM for home protection (always had revolvers for reliability but want more magazine capacity) and have narrowed it down to Glock 17, S&W M&P and Ruger SR9. The most important thing to me is reliability since it’s for home protection, I welcome your opinions, thanks.

Why do you need the extra mag capacity for home protection? 6+ should work in almost any situation, unless you're in the woods with a herd of angry gizzly bears. I've used a Ruger SR-9, Ruger P-95. Smith & Wesson model 586 .357 magnum with the 6" barrel. Right now I'm using a Springfield Armory 1911 chambered in 9mm. Just don't forget to take that pesky safety off before you fire.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Why do you need the extra mag capacity for home protection? 6+ should work in almost any situation, unless you're in the woods with a herd of angry gizzly bears. I've used a Ruger SR-9, Ruger P-95. Smith & Wesson model 586 .357 magnum with the 6" barrel. Right now I'm using a Springfield Armory 1911 chambered in 9mm. Just don't forget to take that pesky safety off before you fire.

Six will be fine for one attacker, who decides to fall down quickly or you score a lucky CNS hit. Unfortunately we don't get to pick our fights and sometimes we aren't perfect. More rounds are always nice to have.

How long you gonna own it?

Try how a Browning Hi-Power points,Please do.

Glocks, Sigs, CZ's Rugers ETC are great guns but for certain people the Hi-Power is just a natural extension.

I can raise mine up from waist level and hit a 12" plate at 25 yds.

Eyes closed.

Natural for my anatomy.

Great Design.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Six will be fine for one attacker, who decides to fall down quickly or you score a lucky CNS hit. Unfortunately we don't get to pick our fights and sometimes we aren't perfect. More rounds are always nice to have.

Exactly...there was a woman who unloaded a 38 special near point blank into an attacker. The attacker was able to leave the house, get in a car, and drive for a ways before passing out. Shows that a wheelgun does not always give enough rounds. And in all honestly...look what a police officer would carry to protect themselves from the same bad guys running around. They all use high capacity semi autos. Because its better to have extra rounds than not enough.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Exactly...there was a woman who unloaded a 38 special near point blank into an attacker. The attacker was able to leave the house, get in a car, and drive for a ways before passing out. Shows that a wheelgun does not always give enough rounds. And in all honestly...look what a police officer would carry to protect themselves from the same bad guys running around. They all use high capacity semi autos. Because its better to have extra rounds than not enough.

And how many times was the woman shot?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
How long you gonna own it?

Try how a Browning Hi-Power points,Please do.

Glocks, Sigs, CZ's Rugers ETC are great guns but for certain people the Hi-Power is just a natural extension.

I can raise mine up from waist level and hit a 12" plate at 25 yds.

Eyes closed.

Natural for my anatomy.

Great Design.
Hi Powers are certainly nice guns but they don't really offer the anything to the avg shooter other than "class" and a higher price tag these days. If someone doesn't like how a Glock feels I can almost guarantee they'll love how the M&P feels. Hi Power is single action so you have to take that extra training into account. Only good way to carry a HP is cocked and locked.

She wasn't. And that's irrelevant. You can't count on the attacker giving up.

She wasn't. And that's irrelevant. You can't count on the attacker giving up.

How do you know?

]

How do you know?

That she wasn't shot? I'm pretty sure I remember the story he's talking about. Hopefully he'll inform us if it's a different one.

Last edited:

]

How do you know?

That she wasn't shot? I'm pretty sure I remember the story he's talking about.

Cool, Got a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back