Unusual (to me) sound from headers after oil change. Is this normal?

I have a 2013 Mustang with a Coyote V8 with19,000mi.

I have been putting Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with a motocraft filter. This is the second change with 5w30 instead of 5w20. The engine has about 1,500 miles of 5w30 usage. Oil pressure reports as "normal", no leaks, and the vehicle drives fine (only about 30 miles since oil change though). I verified my materials used in the change as well.

First things first, I'm a shade tree mechanic who has only done work on personal vehicles -- the most complex being brake jobs and the like.

Anyway, after my last oil change, I noticed what is (to me) an unusual sound from the headers. It's a scratchy mechanical sound and I wonder if maybe there is not proper lubrication getting to the valves and cams? Or am I just paranoid and this is the normal sound of all those valves, lifters and cams? hah. I noticed this after my post change test drive when I popped the hood.

The sound is gets louder as the engine warms up. This video was taken just as the oil temp gauge got to just within normal temp.

(don't have an imgur account so the video gets auto tagged as possible NSFW, but unless you have a particular thing for valve covers it's fine, hah)

You’re wondering if the oil grade caused a change in your exhaust?

This is the craziest attempt at a thick versus thin thread I’ve ever seen here.

Your vehicle is getting proper lubrication.

You’re wondering if the oil grade caused a change in your exhaust?

This is the craziest attempt at a thick versus thin thread I’ve ever seen here.

Your vehicle is getting proper lubrication.
No, as is pretty clear from the context, I said "headers" when I mean "heads" as in cylinder heads not exhaust headers.

I'm used to hearing sound from valves and cams and all the parts under there, but the sound is much louder than I ever recall (at first I thought I was hearing lifter tick), and given that I'm running a thicker oil than recommended by Ford I don't think I'm asking an unreasonable question.

It’s not the oil viscosity, the difference between the two is only about 10% on average but Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 runs on the thin side of grade anyway.

You were using Platinum in 5w20 as well correct?

No, as is pretty clear from the context, I said "headers" when I mean "heads" as in cylinder heads not exhaust headers.

I'm used to hearing sound from valves and cams and all the parts under there, but the sound is much louder than I ever recall (at first I thought I was hearing lifter tick), and given that I'm running a thicker oil than recommended by Ford I don't think I'm asking an unreasonable question.
A thicker oil film would suppress sound, not make it worse.

Back